Tolleston & High Line Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

Re: Tolleston & High Line Questions

Unread postby Jim_c » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:04 pm

Trails to Rails. Put the track back.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby 9xs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:24 pm

A CN train just got routed on the Porter Branch at 7:20 PM presumably headed to Kirk Yard. I won't be able to see if they send it directly there from Tolleston

Had a lot of Potash cars on the end so it may be going to the IHB
9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby justalurker66 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:40 pm

That website image is from about 2017. A more current image can be seen through the Google Earth Pro program (dated Oct 2018).
Gary-181015.jpg

Note that after the work completed last September/October the tracks on both sides of the CSX line line up (no offset) and the switch at the northwest end now has the NE quadrant connection on the diverging side of the switch (the non-diverging side directs trains to the uninstalled diamond).
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby justalurker66 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:00 pm

9xs wrote:A CN train just got routed on the Porter Branch at 7:20 PM presumably headed to Kirk Yard. I won't be able to see if they send it directly there from Tolleston

Had a lot of Potash cars on the end so it may be going to the IHB

CN's CP Dune (71034080050102) would be a good ATCS MCP to watch. If WG is raised while the switch is normal a train is coming off the NS connection. EG/NW would be raised for a train headed East toward Tolleston. If the switch is reversed the train would be going to or from the City Track.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby GaryIndianaRailFan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:33 am

Are their locos with no freight running at night on the Wabash?

I live about a mile NW of Tolleston. Sound travels further at night, and it's a little louder than it would be during the day - so it could be easy for me to mistake it for being closer than where it really is. Usually at Tolleston, with trains heading east, west or southeast - you have the Doppler effect. The air horns are one pitch, then at their closest point they are the true pitch, and as they get further away the pitch changes again.

About three minutes after a EB South Shore Freight train passed my house and cleared the neighborhood another air horn blast cut through but it wasn't on the South Shore main. I dismissed it as being from Tolleston. The horns were not coming from the South Shore main; I live right next to those tracks I would have seen the activity from my window if there was any. However 10 minutes after I heard the first volley of air horn blasts, I heard them a second time - a little more intensity, closer distance. I started thinking that's not getting further away, it's getting closer - clear as a bell - trumpeting through this part of the neighborhood.

Then the horns stopped. It's been about 20 minutes since I heard the second set of horn blasts.

Horns blow all day from the CN/CSX/NS mains north of me and from Kirk Yard - especially at night. You can hear hump activity all night long, with cars banging into each other and the engineers playing melodies with the horns. It's interesting if you can catch them doing it. I hear trains at Tolleston even if I don't know what direction they are traveling. Tolleston is busiest late at night, so I hear horns from that line nearly every single day. No big deal.

However, air horns coming from the Wabash is worthy reporting to me, being that we all know that area is low priority right now.
“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.”
― Marianne Wiggins
GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby justalurker66 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Could CN be running cars on the City Line to interchange with CSS&SB?
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Previous

Return to Indiana Talk