Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by Dajudge »

From what I have read (public documents) it is a 9 degree curve good for 20 MPH. I did not look close enough to see if the super-elevation was noted.

Yes ... it would be a bad idea to measure it yourself. Unless you are using a laser from a distance and plenty of math. :)

(Calculated required super elevation on a 9 degree curve to achieve 20 MPH is 1.44 inches.)
Ok, so I am confused. If outside rail is elevated 1.44" over inner rail that comes down to ~1.5°. Given the turn angle is from north bound to 45°northwest where does the 9° number you refer to originate?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Dajudge wrote:
From what I have read (public documents) it is a 9 degree curve good for 20 MPH. I did not look close enough to see if the super-elevation was noted.

Yes ... it would be a bad idea to measure it yourself. Unless you are using a laser from a distance and plenty of math. :)

(Calculated required super elevation on a 9 degree curve to achieve 20 MPH is 1.44 inches.)
Ok, so I am confused. If outside rail is elevated 1.44" over inner rail that comes down to ~1.5°. Given the turn angle is from north bound to 45°northwest where does the 9° number you refer to originate?
That 9 degree value refers to the sharpness of the curve, not the superelevation

Link describing the math here:
http://trn.trains.com/railroads/ask-tra ... -curvature
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

mikekmac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikekmac »

One of my goals for 2015 is to have my first 50-train day. Since I live in the Lansing area this means a road trip to somewhere. Is a 50-train day possible on the Chicago Line between Robert Young and the Marion Branch? I'm hoping the answer is yes, because I used to live on the west side of Goshen (I wasn't railfanning then, and probably couldn't have afforded the slide film if I had been).

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

MQT3001
That 9 degree value refers to the sharpness of the curve, not the superelevation
Since I don't know I will have to take your word on it. In fact I don't see it. I only see one turn, from north to northwest which is ~45°. I guess its back to my HO track layout guide.... :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Dajudge wrote:MQT3001
Since I don't know I will have to take your word on it. In fact I don't see it. I only see one turn, from north to northwest which is ~45°. I guess its back to my HO track layout guide.... :)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_curvature

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

This has nothing to do with signal upgrades... But at Prairie St. in Elkhart, a overpass is going up.

Photos from WSBT-TV's Facebook page. Link to video and info: http://m.wsbt.com/news/traffic-alert-ph ... s/32218538
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

justin_gram wrote:This has nothing to do with signal upgrades... But at Prairie St. in Elkhart, a overpass is going up.
One less place to cross the tracks for a while ... one nice bridge on its way. Hopefully views around the bend will be good from the top.

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrailfan1999 »

Will there be a sidewalk on the overpass?....That could make for an interesting place for a picture.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

From the rendering picture it looks like their will be a fenced in sidewalk on one side.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

mikekmac wrote:Is a 50-train day possible on the Chicago Line between Robert Young and the Marion Branch?
Yes, but not necessarily within daylight hours.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

The final plans came out a couple weeks ago. For those of you wondering about CP421 i'll give you some general info.

West bound home signal will be just east of Main Street and be a three track cantilever.
East bound home signal will be between Oakland and Benham Ave. and will be a five track signal bridge.

Discuss..

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

MaintainerGary wrote:The final plans came out a couple weeks ago. For those of you wondering about CP421 i'll give you some general info.

West bound home signal will be just east of Main Street and be a three track cantilever.
East bound home signal will be between Oakland and Benham Ave. and will be a five track signal bridge.

Discuss..
Plus signal(s) controlling access from the Kalamazoo Branch/Grand Elk.

It sounds like a lot of track work will be needed between the two points. If the east end of the CP is moved west as your description suggests (just east of Main Street) several newly replaced crossovers would be outside of the limits. But extending the CP west to Oakland would allow for a universal crossover west of the Amtrak station to restore the flexibility lost if those eastern crossovers are removed. (Of course as one goes west CP 423 is available.)

At least we can say "CP 421 lives". With the number of tracks converging at that point something has to be there.

There was a mention in a document posted to another thread about a new "Elkhart Coach Track crossover" as a project underway for this year.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thats what I was saying in earlier posts about the condition of the bridge over the viaduct at the depot. With Chicago east and Toledo west overlapping at the point west of the depot. The plan also affects the main line from CP421 to CP437 and the Kalamazoo branch all the way to White Piegon Jct. Even though Watco leases evidently NS maintains. We shall see.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Super Chief wrote:Thats what I was saying in earlier posts about the condition of the bridge over the viaduct at the depot. With Chicago east and Toledo west overlapping at the point west of the depot. The plan also affects the main line from CP421 to CP437 and the Kalamazoo branch all the way to White Piegon Jct. Even though Watco leases evidently NS maintains. We shall see.
Why would NS do track work all the way to White Piegon Jct.?
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:With Chicago east and Toledo west overlapping at the point west of the depot.
The dispatchers should not overlap.
Chicago East is responsible for CP 421 west to (and not including) CP 482.
Chicago West is responsible for CP 482 and west.
As mentioned in another thread, Chicago East controls the new CP 479.
Toledo West is responsible for trains east of CP 421 ... including CP 415 and the new CP 417.
Super Chief wrote:The plan also affects the main line from CP421 to CP437 and the Kalamazoo branch all the way to White Piegon Jct. Even though Watco leases evidently NS maintains. We shall see.
Without seeing what "the plan" is we can only guess how far west the effect will be. One benefit of the current setup (crossovers east of Main St) is that an eastbound Amtrak can serve the station then be immediately crossed over to Track 2 as it leaves Chicago East territory. If those crossovers are removed the train would need to travel to CP 417 or CP 412 to be crossed over to Track 2.

"We shall see." is the best answer. No need to get too wound up about it until we see something concrete ... and steel and stainless steel.

Hints and verified reporting appreciated ... rumors and innuendo not so appreciated. :D

BTW: The new signals for 419 made it into the air this week ... with signboards for the track three signals 4193E and 4193W. The new signals near MP 415 have their signboards up and covered (the signals have been covered since installation).

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Toledo west not Chicago west. They overlap west of the depot. NS guys can tell you that.Radio channels changw west of the depot. GDLK is answering to Chicago esst to get out not Toledo west.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:Toledo west not Chicago west.
Try reading what I wrote. The details are there. Thanks!
Super Chief wrote:They overlap west of the depot. NS guys can tell you that.Radio channels changw west of the depot. GDLK is answering to Chicago esst to get out not Toledo west.
The radio frequency is the same, the dispatcher changes east of CP 421. Access to the Kalamazoo Branch (and Elkhart and Western) is through CP 421 ... controlled by Chicago East (as I have been saying). Toledo West is east of CP 421 on the Chicago Line.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A lot of workers in high visibility gear out on a cloudy, slightly rainy afternoon. I first noticed them on ATCS with tracks 1 and 2 in blue. Later in the afternoon they moved over to track 2 and the siding (and trains ran past them on Track 1). I went past the site a few times to see if I could see anything new ... nothing obvious from a distance. There is still a gap in the crossovers between Track 1 and Track 2.

Down the road at CP 412 the ballast train was parked from Martins to CP 412. The ballast regulators and other equipment has been getting a workout.

BTW: Hours after they went home I am hearing crews mention a 25 MPH speed restriction at 417 - so it looks to be 24/7 until lifted.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I noted slow (25?) mph speed the length of track two on Friday from 421 to 412. Meanwhile, track 1 was good for posted speed. I actually missed 49 (really mad about that one...three new baggage cars) because I didn't realize this fact. Crews were working on tamping/ballast regulating west of 414 that morning. Crews were at every signal working, except 417. CP 421 was nuts with workers. I also noticed a temporary dwarf signal as a EAS off the new 3rd main at 412. Looked like one of those Safetran searchlights, though it could have been a statutory red.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I believe it is just a red light, not a searchlight.
Track 3 Derail
Track 3 Derail