Railroad fans telling Fostoria what they want

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

http://www.thecourier.com/Issues/2008/J ... Jun,08&c=n
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Ellen only knows what she wants, a dusk to dawn railfan park and get this, you can't stay all night there, or you'll be chased out. I'm sticking to the depot for now.
Exit stage left

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

redside20 wrote:Ellen only knows what she wants, a dusk to dawn railfan park and get this, you can't stay all night there, or you'll be chased out. I'm sticking to the depot for now.
Yeah the depot isn't bad to stay at. Most of the good rail traffic goes by the depot area anyways.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

You can't realy call it a true railfan park if you can't stay all night like rochelle ill. this kind of reminds me of the park in terre haute ind, it was like that when i was there.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

penn central wrote:You can't realy call it a true railfan park if you can't stay all night like rochelle ill. this kind of reminds me of the park in terre haute ind, it was like that when i was there.
No doubt. If I can't stay at night, forget it. I was hoping for a dressed up version of Deshler.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

trainjunkie47 wrote:
penn central wrote:You can't realy call it a true railfan park if you can't stay all night like rochelle ill. this kind of reminds me of the park in terre haute ind, it was like that when i was there.
No doubt. If I can't stay at night, forget it. I was hoping for a dressed up version of Deshler.
I agree with that! I mean even down in Folkston, Georgia you can stay there overnight. I know Deshler, Durand, and other places arn't that busy for trains compared to Fostoria, but atleast they have places for you to park overnight.

Unless we will just have't to stay at the park during the day and then move our cars over to the parking lot at the Depot overnight! I GOT IT! We could huddle our cars around in a circle like a wagon train and camp-out in the center! That would be awEsome! :D
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

The survey is tangible proof railroads are important to Fostoria, Gatrell said.

So...if the railroads weren't important to Fostoria, would the good citizens of Fostoria throw them out of town?

Much as I don't like the idea of the park closing at dusk, if it is going to be a city park, and if every other city park closes at dusk, I can't blame the city (much) for imposing the same rules as at any other park in the city. Not that a railfan park would make me any more likely to return to Fostoria to railfan. For the time, effort and cost of gas required to travel to Fostoria (plus the high CSX content to be seen there), I can get to more railfan-friendly hotspots just as easily.

That's my two cents anyway.
~ Charles W.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I have to weigh in...

I've seen the park at Deshler being used as a 'camp ground' and it isn't pretty. Rochelle is better because there isn't much room for a tent city. I opted to stay at a Super 8 outside of town anyway. If I lived near by, I wouldn't want to have to look out my window at some ratty campers and tents. Deshler lacks proper sanitation facilities (unless you count a port-a-potty as proper), so I can't even begin to imagine the smell on a Sunday morning at that place after two nights camping.

Deshler is nice to visit in the daytime, but again it looks like a gypsy encampment during most of the summer days.

Besides, she is merely trying to get people to stay in the local hotels, generating some revenue for them.

Practice Safe CSX

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

CSX_CO wrote:Besides, she is merely trying to get people to stay in the local hotels, generating some revenue for them.
Like her or hate her, one of Ellen's selling points on the railfan park seems to be the fact that railfans go to Fostoria and spend money. If a person stays in a hotel, the area will benefit more than if that same person (or group of people) camps in the middle of a circle of parked cars....
~ Charles W.