IORY in Dayton, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

IORY in Dayton, OH

Unread post by AARR »

Saw a northbound IORY in Dayton, OH, on Tuesday with a GP40-3, SD40-2T, and SD40-2. All were in the red and gray scheme although the SD40-2 definetely had some UP yellow showing thorugh. One auto rack, everything else was mixed freight. I was surprised that there wasn't any steel related cars in the train because one of their biggest customers is the steel mill in Delta. Traffic goes both north and south from there.

Looks like IORY has a large plastics customer on the south side of Lima. Don't recall seeing them there the last time I went through about 5ish years ago.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

hi that would plastipak packaging in Jackson Center Ohio which is 20 miles south of Lima. One of thee biggest customers next to Delta for the Iory.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Lucas,

This was on the outskirts of south Lima where I75 goes over IORY. I don't think that's Jackson Center. The exit for Jackson Center was considerably further south.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rwas
Railroadfan...fan

IORY In Delta

Unread post by rwas »

Don,
I am not totally positive but I think some of the steel coils may go west on the NS. I have been in Wauseon numerous times and have seen a train that appears to have originated in Delta going west on the Chicago line. It is going pretty slow in relation to the rest of the traffic on that line so I am assuming they have just headed out from the mill a couple of miles east of Wauseon. Normally I see it in the mid morning hours around 10am. Ron

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You're prbably right, Ron. NS also gets some business from the steel mill at Delta.

IORY takes some of the cars north to Detroit. They also handle inbound scrap from ??? and pig iron from someplace west of Cincy.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

There's an ethanol plant on the south edge of Lima that's served by the I&O. Here's a link to show it's location.

http://www.go-ethanol.com/contactUs/mapDirections.asp

Sounds like its now up and running, perhaps this is what you saw?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

The pig iron was transloaded off of barges on the Ohio River and railed up to Delta - don't know if that's still being done or not.
Don Simon wrote:You're prbably right, Ron. NS also gets some business from the steel mill at Delta.

IORY takes some of the cars north to Detroit. They also handle inbound scrap from ??? and pig iron from someplace west of Cincy.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert - That's the spot. So it's an ethanol pant.

I thought the covered hoppers had the v-shaped chutes (used for plastic and resin) and I looked pretty close (while driving 70mph on I-75 :) both times I went by. But it's possible they were flat bottomed chutes and I missed it :oops: . I didn't see any tanker cars either which is usually another common car at ethanol plants :o .

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

It may be that the finished ethanol gets blended over at the Lima refinery (now owned by Husky, formerly Valero and prior to that BP) so it may be trucked over. In a similar vein, the new ethanol plant in Leipsic has the ethanol trucked up to the Marathon refinery in Detroit - so tank cars aren't common there either.
Don Simon wrote:MSchwiebert - That's the spot. So it's an ethanol pant.

I thought the covered hoppers had the v-shaped chutes (used for plastic and resin) and I looked pretty close (while driving 70mph on I-75 :) both times I went by. But it's possible they were flat bottomed chutes and I missed it :oops: . I didn't see any tanker cars either which is usually another common car at ethanol plants :o .

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

IORY Power?

Unread post by IORY_fan »

"All were in the red and gray scheme although the SD40-2 definetely had some UP yellow showing thorugh"

Did you happen to catch any numbers of this consist? Also I&O does not have any GP40-3's in the Red & Gray scheme only 4 SD40-2's & 3 SD40T-2's, plus 9 CF&E GP38-2's in the Red & Gray scheme. They do have 2 GP40-1's in there own Red w/orange stripes scheme! What was the number on the unit that had the UP yellow coming through? None of I&O's current Red & Gray units were ever painted in UP? They do have an Ex-UP SD40-2 CEFX #3092.

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IORY_fan - I didn't get any numbers but I probably was wrong about identifying it as a GP40-3. It was definetely red so it was probably a GP40-1 in orange and red scheme.

I'm very weak when it comes to anything about IORY. I try to keep up with their roster, customers, train schedules, etc. but find them the most challenging of the MI shortlines to follow.

Any info would be appreciated.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IORY_fan - It's also possible I misidentified the paint scheme of the Ex-UP SD40-2 CEFX #3092. If I saw pictures I may be able to confirm.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

CEFX 3092

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Here is a link to a photo of CEFX 3092 that I found

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=435045

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here is a link to a photo of CEFX 3092 that I found
That's it :!: And from I75 at 70mph in traffic can you see why I thought it was in IORY livery :?:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I heard the southbound (400) calling signals yesterday in Deshler with CEFX 3092 out front. Probably going back south with the same consist of power you saw.
Bottom text.