CSX in Perrysburg, Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

CSX in Perrysburg, Ohio

Unread post by Racer »

I always have gone to Perrysburg, Ohio every May for my grandparent's Packard Car Show at the Holiday Inn off of I-75 and spent one evening at the track in downtown, and sometimes stop when I'm on the way Fostoria during the summer season. Out of every year seince I was 7; I've only spotted 3 trains go through Perrysburg (One was with the ex-Metra cars for the GLC commuter run) and I always wondered, but never found out: What is the Sub; how many trains a day; and where does it go to from Toledo? -Chris
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX in Perrysburg, Ohio

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The CSX through Perrysburg is the Toledo Sub. The Toledo Sub starts at the end of double track in Perrysburg (the trackage from their north is part of the Toledo Terminal Sub) and goes to Cincinnati via Deshler, Lima, Dayton etc. Train counts per day are between 8-12. Part of the variance is due to coal & ore trains which don't run every day and/or may operate "the long way" (via Fostoria) instead. Generally speaking if the train originates or terminates at Stanley yard to/from points south (Cincinnati) or west (Chicago) the train will run via the B&O side. Those trains are: Q506 & Q507 (Toledo-Cincy - although I've heard that recently 507 has been switched over to the Fostoria routing & replaced by Q517), Q508 & Q509 (Toledo-Garrett/Chicago) Q324 (Chicago-Toledo) and I believe that Q242 (Louisville-Toledo) still runs this way. There's a couple of rack trains (Q231 & Q245) that normally operate this way too. Non manifests include the K185 ore trains (Toledo Docks-Middletown OH), PRB coal trains (to either Toledo Docks, hand off to CN @ Lang yard or once in a while Michigan poins), unit coil steel trains, and when in season ballast trains to-from the Toledo docks to MofW projects on the CSX system. Historically speaking, evenings are a slow time for trains through Perrysburg. Now that the days are getting longer, you might catch a 508 coming up around dusk, or get a K185 (they can run just about any time), but most of the trains run after dark or from dawn to noon.

All in all though, from a train count perspective, the line is busier now than at any point in the last 30+ years. Granted there were two periods (one in the early 1980's and the other from 1991-97) where the line was devoid of any through traffic (everything was routed via Fostoria) and faced an uncertain future (was being studied for abandonment during the 1980's closure).

I've posted a few photos that I've taken over the years of trains on the Toledo sub.
http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/thum ... ?album=908

Chrisracer8903 wrote:I always have gone to Perrysburg, Ohio every May for my grandparent's Packard Car Show at the Holiday Inn off of I-75 and spent one evening at the track in downtown, and sometimes stop when I'm on the way Fostoria during the summer season. Out of every year seince I was 7; I've only spotted 3 trains go through Perrysburg (One was with the ex-Metra cars for the GLC commuter run) and I always wondered, but never found out: What is the Sub; how many trains a day; and where does it go to from Toledo? -Chris

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

dosne't that line also have the mexi special stacks from detroit. (pacer)?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

No, Q131 & 132 operate south of Toledo on the former Conrail line (known as the "Toledo Branch" during Conrail days, I'm not sure what the CSX Sub name for it is now) which heads south through Bowling Green, Findlay & Kenton before crossing the former Conrail "Bee-Line" (CSX calls it the "Mt. Victory Sub) at Ridgeway. The Stack trains run from St. Elmo IL to Ridgeway and then turn north on the former Toledo Branch. In theory, these trains could continue on to Marion and then head north via the former C&O through Fostoria, but they do not do so. On rare occasions (flood, derailment etc.) they have backed up the connection at Sidney and run the B&O to Toledo, but the track configuration at Sidney & the reverse move makes this something to be avoided if at all possible. (and topography and track layout make a connection in the northwest quadrant out of the question)
patrick wrote:dosne't that line also have the mexi special stacks from detroit. (pacer)?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The old Toledo Branch is still known as that...

The train count north of Deshler is 8-12, but once you get south of Deshler, it's about 20 per day.

Q507 is still running via Toledo Sub... Q242 uses the sub to Deshler, then heads east to Fostoria and heads north. K185 is usually through Deshler by 3 p.m, so it should be out of Toledo between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on regular days. Q231 and Q245 both still use the sub normally, but 245 has occaisionally been running via Fostoria, then through Deshler on south.
Bottom text.