MAW vs. CSX Case Decision (UPDATE 2-2-08)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

MAW vs. CSX Case Decision (UPDATE 2-2-08)

Unread post by Y@ »

The diamond is finally going back in.

Five years after CSX tore out the MAW crossing in Defiance, OH, CSX is now putting back in, because of the court decision in February. The courts ruled for CSX to replace the diamond, replace the signals guarding the diamond, and be the primary maintenance upkeeper for the diamond.

Progress has begun already, and the deadline is December 2. The stacks of old rails from the diamond have been hauled away, and most of the equipment that CSX will be using to put them back in has been set at the site. The replacement should be done by December 2, and then once again the Maumee & Western will be able to serivce such towns as Cecil, Antwerp, Woodburn, and Fort Wayne, all in a continuous traffic flow, instead of the railroad being split into halves.

I will be heading over there to get some pictures sometime by Saturday.

When the diamond is done, the MAW will be running the following trains over it's complete system.

RO1- Defiance - Napoleon and Return Road Freight; M, W, F (Tu-Th used as return days)

LO1- Defiance - CSX Interchange and Return Local; M, W, F

RO2A- Defiance - Antwerp and Return Road Freight; Tu-Th (Also services Cecil as needed)

RO2B- Defiance - Fort Wayne Road Freight; Sa (Stays in town until Tuesday, return by Wednesday)

FWR01- Fort Wayne - Defiance Road Freight; W (Return trip of RO2B)

FWL01A- Fort Wayne - NS Interchange and Return Local; M, W, F (Most of this interchange will go to CSX)

FWL01B- Fort Wayne - Antwerp and Return Local; Tu (Most of this goes to NS)

Keep in mind that a couple of the "timetables" (days when they run) may not be completely accurate, as these are still in the planning phase.
Last edited by Y@ on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bottom text.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

The diamond is going in today. I will try to get some pictures. I'm suprised CSX is not using my yard for parking. :lol:

I thought that the bridge that burned near Cecil was still out of service, which I thought was one of the reasons that CSX pulled the diamond.

Greg from FC Tower
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

If I may ask could you get some details of the frogs. I want to see exactly
how a flange bearing crossing differs from a regular crossing. Thanks guys!
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Flickr

Brian_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brian_F »

Thanks Greg! These are great.
I haven't lost my mind, it's on tape backup here somewhere...

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10311

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

the big thing with these new diamonds, the more used road in this case CSX don't need to slow down, like they have in the past, you don't get bangging sound as the wheels go over the joints, there is no sound, on the other hand the NS can only move 5-10 mph when they cross, the wheels ride up over the CSX rails.
the new diamonds are also being used at STILLWELL IN. where the CN crosses the SOUTH SHORE.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

someplace closer to home for you to see these (from a distance) is at Cedar in Lansing; it sure does ride a whole lot better since CN replaced the diamonds, or maybe because they surfaced the diamond area back to level.....anyway, I'm sure the people who live immediately to the SE GREATLY appreciate this upgrade.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I'll probably head over there Friday, to get pictures. I'll head over in the morning, then probably spend the rest of the day in Deshler.

I think the bridge that burned over by Cecil has been replaced.

I believe on Friday morning MAW GP7U #5 will be heading over to Cecil to grab those rusty old ballast cars and bring them to Defiance for torching at Omni-Source.

Greg, we will have to meet sometime!
Bottom text.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Diamonds at Cedar ride even better on the NS side.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MAW vs. CSX Case Decision (BIG UPDATE)

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

For what they're talking about running, it would look to me that they are going to need more power. Last time I was out that way, they were using that old Santa Fe GP-7/9 rebuild out of Defiance and I'm "guessing" the ex IC GP-8/10 out of Woodburn? I'm guessing that they'll need at least two more working locomotives (is the ex BN GP20 still in Defiance? Does it run?) to make the 'plan' work. Hopefully they'll be able to improve the track conditions to where something other than 10 mph running is possible (and they can handle 286K cars) - without going back to the ORDC for yet another handout. Any word on service to Liberty Center? There's also been talk off and on for years on putting a transfer track between the I&O and the MAW in at Liberty Center (frankly I'd like to see the I&O operate the MAW line as well...) any chance of that happening? In any event, I hope that whoever operates it, can keep the line intact as this has been selected as the corridor for the Midwest High-Speed initiative for Chicago-Toledo traffic via Fort Wayne.
Y@ Heilman wrote:The diamond is finally going back in.

Five years after CSX tore out the MAW crossing in Defiance, OH, CSX is now putting back in, because of the court decision in February. The courts ruled for CSX to replace the diamond, replace the signals guarding the diamond, and be the primary maintenance upkeeper for the diamond.

Progress has begun already, and the deadline is December 2. The stacks of old rails from the diamond have been hauled away, and most of the equipment that CSX will be using to put them back in has been set at the site. The replacement should be done by December 2, and then once again the Maumee & Western will be able to serivce such towns as Cecil, Antwerp, Woodburn, and Fort Wayne, all in a continuous traffic flow, instead of the railroad being split into halves.

I will be heading over there to get some pictures sometime by Saturday.

When the diamond is done, the MAW will be running the following trains over it's complete system.

RO1- Defiance - Napoleon and Return Road Freight; M, W, F (Tu-Th used as return days)

LO1- Defiance - CSX Interchange and Return Local; M, W, F

RO2A- Defiance - Antwerp and Return Road Freight; Tu-Th (Also services Cecil as needed)

RO2B- Defiance - Fort Wayne Road Freight; Sa (Stays in town until Tuesday, return by Wednesday)

FWR01- Fort Wayne - Defiance Road Freight; W (Return trip of RO2B)

FWL01A- Fort Wayne - NS Interchange and Return Local; M, W, F (Most of this interchange will go to CSX)

FWL01B- Fort Wayne - Antwerp and Return Local; Tu (Most of this goes to NS)

Keep in mind that a couple of the "timetables" (days when they run) may not be completely accurate, as these are still in the planning phase.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Mike, they are currently using an ex Santa Fe GP7U (for local power) and an ex IC GP11 (road power) on the Defiance-Napoleon segment. On the Woodburn-Cecil segment, they use an ex IC GP8.

I talked to one of their employees not long ago, and he said they were looking into buying a pair of former WC GP35's from LTEX in MacDonald, OH.

The talk of a transfer track in LC is just talk right now, no actions have been taken to make it happen. Currently the only commodity hauled to LC is clay for brickmaking, after the Elevator switched to all truck shipping.

If the MAW goes belly-up (which most-likely it will), then the I&O will probably jump right on the opportunity to rebuild that line and use it. They were in the running to buy it up after the IHRC sputtered out in 1998.

To summarize all this, I can just say: CSX is pissed, MAW is happy, and Spencer Wendelin's wallet is getting fat.

And for those who wonder, all the rail currently in use from Defiance to Liberty Center is 65-pound rail rolled out on the day the Wabash built the line. It has never been replaced, and unless the I&O jumps on the MAW, it probably never will.
Bottom text.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Y@: I posted a topic about the Ohio Rail Choke Point study report, and among the items listed in the report is that a connector between the I&O and the MAW at Liberty Center made the list. As for the condition of the line, it does not surprise me.

Y@ Heilman wrote:Mike, they are currently using an ex Santa Fe GP7U (for local power) and an ex IC GP11 (road power) on the Defiance-Napoleon segment. On the Woodburn-Cecil segment, they use an ex IC GP8.

I talked to one of their employees not long ago, and he said they were looking into buying a pair of former WC GP35's from LTEX in MacDonald, OH.

The talk of a transfer track in LC is just talk right now, no actions have been taken to make it happen. Currently the only commodity hauled to LC is clay for brickmaking, after the Elevator switched to all truck shipping.

If the MAW goes belly-up (which most-likely it will), then the I&O will probably jump right on the opportunity to rebuild that line and use it. They were in the running to buy it up after the IHRC sputtered out in 1998.

To summarize all this, I can just say: CSX is pissed, MAW is happy, and Spencer Wendelin's wallet is getting fat.

And for those who wonder, all the rail currently in use from Defiance to Liberty Center is 65-pound rail rolled out on the day the Wabash built the line. It has never been replaced, and unless the I&O jumps on the MAW, it probably never will.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Mike, thanks for that article. Very, very informative!

And for those who don't know, Spencer Wendelin is the Pres. of MAW.

He's known for being shifty, a liar, and a "legal theif," meaning he takes alot of money from his buisness he probably shouldn't be taking.

But what the hell, it's only a shortline with 10 employees, right? :?
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here it is! Freshly installed and ready to go.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-42790
Bottom text.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Y@ Heilman wrote:Here it is! Freshly installed and ready to go.

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/disp ... at=0&pos=1

Correct link
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-42790

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Thanks for catching that Jon! 8)
Bottom text.

jukeman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman »

The hop over style Diamonds that Greg showed will be installed in Durand sometime in the not too distant future.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Those are just regular old diamonds, there is nothing special about those. Those are not the new "fly over" diamonds.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yeah Matt I noticed that. What happened that they didn't install the Hop-Over diamonds like originally planned?
Bottom text.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

I heard that the diamonds needed to be put in ASAP.

Here's my pictures:

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=926
Flickr