Spotted somethin different on the W&LE

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Spotted somethin different on the W&LE

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Since my camera doesn't take good nite shots I'll report it this way. W&LE GP40-3 #303 was spotted tonite with 40 cars in tow. I'll say this much this came as a surprise to me, it was still wearin the Rio Grande on the side.

This isn't my pic but this is what I saw tonite.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A lot of WE power is that way. The owner's a big DRGW fan. Off the top of my head I believe atleast 1 WE GP35 also still wears Rio Grande. I would even venture to guess nearly every piece of ex Rio Grande equipment WE owns stills wears Rio Grande.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Not only is the big guy a big D&RGW nut but he was a higher up at D&RGW so that could explain the relationship between the WE and D&RGW painted units.
I've heard the possibility of more units getting the D&RGW paint with WE sublettering but time will tell if this will come true.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

As previous posters have noted, it's obvious W&LE's paint scheme is D&RGW-inspired. Same colors same design and lettering. There are 7 units still in their Rio Grande paint:

GP40-3's 301, 302, 303
GP35-3 3045
GP40 3087
SD40T-2 5391, 5413

3045 is in the older Rio Grande scheme with smaller lettering on the side. GP40-3 300 is in UP paint, as well as the EMLX SD90's they're leasing. They've got a batch of ex-EMD and GSCX SD40-2's that are still in their EMD and GSCX schemes. All are in the blue/white scheme (of each respective company), except for 6381 which wears the EMD maroon/grey/silver scheme.

Also of note they have former GTW GP9R 4602 which is still in GT paint with lettering painted over with black. Former GTW/CN SD40 5920 renumbered 4000 is still in CN paint with a nice patch job. Most of the ex-NS/SOU GP35's are still in their patched Southern paint. 2662 and 2679 wear the bright red/yellow W&LE scheme. 102 is in Operation Lifesaver paint, 200 is in the Ohio Bi-Centennial scheme. A little over half of the GP35's have been rebuilt into GP35-3's

You leave the TSBY GP35 with ALCo trucks and now you have W&LE high-nose GP35's with ALCo trucks! Was that a planned move!? :lol:

You may want to bookmark this site if you haven't already: http://www.wle.railfan.net/

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

"You leave the TSBY GP35 with ALCo trucks and now you have W&LE high-nose GP35's with ALCo trucks! Was that a planned move!?"

Were you reading my mind? lol well I did miss seeing my locomotive #2681 on the GLC but the last time I knew she was getting worked on, so I wasn't gonna see it again, but heck seeing the high nose #102 made me feel better.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

You are not kidding i spent all of my labor day weekend in spencer oh and heartland oh. All the power was present or went through THE GROUND SHOOK when the pure SD90MACS went through.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

I see we have a Penn Central fan on board. I happen to live by one of the elements of the Penn Central, but of course its NS now.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Whoa! A DRGW Unit! :D Lucky! -Chris

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Last nite I had seen somethin different again, except this time it was of a different heritage. #4001 was in the lead and in the secondary power, with 30 cars behind it, was this.

http://www.wle.railfan.net/roster/WE2651.jpg

It was #2651, boy just seeing her still in the Southern scheme made me drool, heck I could even see the Southern name visible behind the W&LE logo on the side.

Sorry if I didn't post actual pics of mine, my camera ain't fitted for nite time shots.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Hello oh yea penn central was a nice railroad.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Yea as a result from two great railroads, Pennsylvania and New York Central. But from just reading the book on the PC, it could of been managed better.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

You are not kidding i don't know how old you are but i remember PC up here in saginaw it was very busy then. When conrail took over it dried up pretty fast.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Well I'm 22 but I do a lot of research on fallen flags. PC happens to be one of my favorite fallen flags.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Thats cool trainnut85 Oh i tel ya the area your in down there did not fair a whole lot better then we did up here steel mills closing probubley deccimated that area.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Well you figure those businesses along the PC in Michigan had decided to move elsewhere because of lost revenue, plus usually most business move out of the country so that way labor costs less. But theres quite a lot of industry around here, but some are closed up along the Ft. Wayne line. Did you happen to read one of my posts about when I was on the overpass? I happen to catch this.

the logo is barely visible on the right side but you can definetly see the PC green.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

I am going to be back down that way again i was in spencer oh and also berea oh and medina to. do you live far from those towns maybe we can get together i can show you my penn central pictures. mainly just rolling stock. I wish when i was a kid i took pictures more i didn't start till i was 18 years old by that time PC power was pretty much gone. i am 40 years old now.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Read the PM I sent ya.