Deshler Northwest Wye Removal?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Deshler Northwest Wye Removal?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just to confirm, Q20316 did indeed run on the northwest wye this morning around 8am per the Deshler 360 cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTGxX84Bajg
Strange, trains like Q508 and Q509 which run Detroit to Cincinnati and back don't run on the north/south main anymore. Seems like they now work at North Baltimore for a likely crew change at least, so they route through Fostoria now.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

508 and 509 both work Walbridge so that is another reason to operate via Fostoria.
506 and 507 are Cincinnati to Walbridge trains.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

508 and 509 run via Fostoria with a crew change at North Baltimore. Simply a way to take work away from Walbridge.

Scooby DR TM 3194
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Scooby DR TM 3194 »

2021 NW Wye Runs 23
2022 NW Wye Runs so far 2

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I don't see them removing the wye - too much of a hassle for signals etc. But continuing on with the current path of very sporadic use. The loaded BNSF coal trains that turn at Fostoria would be a natural to run via Bates, except there's no place between Perry and Walbridge that they can be refueled if need be. (Due to the cost of Diesel being higher in Illinois they usually leave Chicago with a minimal amount and get more in Toledo)

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Just for my clarification, are we talking about the track I’ve circled in white?
Attachments
7225DAC6-A8D6-42FE-BECE-9DDAAF0FAB0D.jpeg
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

MSchwiebert wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:43 pm
The loaded BNSF coal trains that turn at Fostoria would be a natural to run via Bates, except there's no place between Perry and Walbridge that they can be refueled if need be.
They can be refueled at E Broadway by Stanley, has been done before.
BNSF requires the empty train power to come back to them with at least 3000 gallons in each unit.
David Collins wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Just for my clarification, are we talking about the track I’ve circled in white?
That is a small portion of the NW Wye. It runs another 6500' north.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:45 pm
Yes…the connector in the NW Quadrant
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Now that I know what we’re talking about, I have a friend of mine who’s been going to Deshler for years and he says he’s only seen that wye used twice, mainly for MoW moves
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

David Collins wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:58 pm
Now that I know what we’re talking about, I have a friend of mine who’s been going to Deshler for years and he says he’s only seen that wye used twice, mainly for MoW moves
It used to be travelled by several scheduled Q trains daily. Until PSR rerouted most things to Fostoria so they could easily access Walbridge, when Stanley was closed.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The last time I was in Deshler, which was in 2012 (wow), I saw 3 trains use the NW wye in the 7 hours I was there.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Scooby DR TM 3194
Railroadfan...fan

Deshler's NW Wye was used 31 times in 2021 and so far 19 times in 2022 I track the runs in the Deshler Train Log

Fostoria's C&O is an EAST/ WEST DOUBLE MAIN not a North/ South SINGLE Main.... CSX RULES All Double Mains East/ West, Single Mains North/ South (example Toledo Sub in Deshler and Toledo Branch at Galatea)

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Scooby DR TM 3194 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:42 am
CSX RULES All Double Mains East/ West, Single Mains North/ South (example Toledo Sub in Deshler and Toledo Branch at Galatea)
The former Toledo Terminal & Pere Marquette north of Toledo are double mains and are north/south.

Scooby DR TM 3194
Railroadfan...fan

The former Toledo Terminal & Pere Marquette north of Toledo are double mains and are north/south.

TIMETABLE Rules??

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Scooby DR TM 3194 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:42 am
CSX RULES All Double Mains East/ West, Single Mains North/ South (example Toledo Sub in Deshler and Toledo Branch at Galatea)
TIMETABLE Rules??
What rule number are you claiming says this? Does the B&O through Lima, Sidney, Dayton and south of Trenton become east/west because they are double track? Does the C&O south (TT East) of Fostoria become north/south because it's single main?

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Deshler, OH Northwest Wye

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I spent a night in Deshler for about 22 hours in but we saw no trains use the NW Wye but some guy told me there that a couple months ago there was a coal train with BNSF power that used it does the NW Wye still see traffic? If not why don't they tear it out?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Deshler, OH Northwest Wye

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:33 pm
I spent a night in Deshler for about 22 hours in but we saw no trains use the NW Wye but some guy told me there that a couple months ago there was a coal train with BNSF power that used it does the NW Wye still see traffic? If not why don't they tear it out?
If they tear it out, then they'll have to spend the likely 7-figure sum to put in back in if they ever want it. Simply maintaining it will be cheaper for years than the cost to re-install.

Especially with PTC, you've got to do all of the Subdiv file updates, which aren't cheap and prone to causing PTC failures when the updates get pushed out. Does not help that Wabtec has a monopoly on PTC now.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Sometime in the last week, I was doing a rewind on the Deshler cam and was very surprised to see a freight coming down from Toledo and headed west toward Chicago. Not that after I left, the train did not back around the SW transfer and go back to Toledo or head east to Fostoria.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:23 pm
Sometime in the last week, I was doing a rewind on the Deshler cam and was very surprised to see a freight coming down from Toledo and headed west toward Chicago. Not that after I left, the train did not back around the SW transfer and go back to Toledo or head east to Fostoria.
So your saying it used the NW Wye? If so it was nkst likely M201

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

What is the purpose the of the wye running so far north before connecting to the main. This is over a mile long (per the post above), wye track. I don't think they would remove the wye, but would they consider connecting it to the N-S line between Main St and Maple St remove a mile of track which honestly seems redundant to have in place?