Lang Yard Observations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Lang Yard Observations

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

1. A loaded coal train (or maybe it is coke; at 70 mph it's hard to tell) has been sitting in Lang Yard for about a week. While I don't think there is anything unusual about a loaded coal/coke train sitting for a week, this is the first train of that type I have seen in Lang since NS got the coal contract, whenever that was. That isn't to say there haven't been others, but this is the first one I've seen.

2. The W&LE train that runs out of Lang usually consists of frac sand hoppers, lumber, and other mixed freight. Today I was surprised to see a reefer tucked in behind the locomotive. I don't believe I've ever seen one before. No way to get a car number at 70 mph. Still, I wonder where it is headed...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Lang Yard Observations

Unread post by AARR »

I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that WLE is delivering coke trains to CN for someone in Detroit.

WLE has at least one refrigerated box car customer near Cleveland. They receive frozen french fries for distribution to Burger Kings. At least they did...things may have changed.

It wouldn't surprise me if WLE has other warehouses that receive frozen produce.
jimnorthwood wrote:1. A loaded coal train (or maybe it is coke; at 70 mph it's hard to tell) has been sitting in Lang Yard for about a week. While I don't think there is anything unusual about a loaded coal/coke train sitting for a week, this is the first train of that type I have seen in Lang since NS got the coal contract, whenever that was. That isn't to say there haven't been others, but this is the first one I've seen.

2. The W&LE train that runs out of Lang usually consists of frac sand hoppers, lumber, and other mixed freight. Today I was surprised to see a reefer tucked in behind the locomotive. I don't believe I've ever seen one before. No way to get a car number at 70 mph. Still, I wonder where it is headed...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

The coke train was gone today, Thursday.

Interesting about the W&LE Burger King french fries.

Thanks for the info AARR.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Is the outbound WLE Train still leaving Lang late in the evening? And the inbound arriving into Lang in the early morning?

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

The outbound W&LE train is often made up, or mostly so, and appears ready to go when I pass by Lang in late afternoon. I can't speak as to the arrival time of the morning train.