CSX Upper River Bridge

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Upper River Bridge

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The below appeared in this week's edition of the free newspaper we receive at home. For those of you who might not be familiar with this bridge, it is visible from the westbound lanes of the parallel Ohio Turnpike (I-80/I-90). Demolition of the bridge was originally scheduled to begin 2017 and take six months.

"A memorandum of agreement (MOA) between the Wood County Port Authority and several historic organizations calls for a review to be completed before the demolition of the Swing Bridge crossing the Maumee River can begin.

The port authority is proposing the bridge be demolished due to its deteriorating condition. The bridge was previously owned by CSX and is located about 150 feet downriver from the Ohio Turnpike.

Because the span is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the memorandum agreement, which was signed September 7, calls for a commemorative plaque and parts of the bridge be made available for use along the Chessie Circle Trail.

The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, Ohio Department of Transportation, Maumee Valley Heritage Corridor and Historicbridgefoundation.com also signed the agreement."

The MOA calls for the following:

1) a Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) Level II must be completed prior to demolition of the structure; 2) a commemorative plaque and display documenting the history of the WOO/LUC CSX Railroad Bridge and the Toledo Beltway must be constructed in the vicinity of the bridge; 3) commemorative elements from the bridge shall be made available for use along the Chessie Circle Trail with the approval of the Chessie Circle Trail Coordinating Committee; 4) the bridge shall be made available for reuse to entities that may have an interest in reusing all or part of the historic truss system.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Upper River Bridge

Toledo Blade article concerning same:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/1 ... ition.html

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

On my drive over the turnpike today I noticed brush on both ends of the bridge has been recently been cleared along the ROW. Most likely to give access for equipment to move in.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Dismantling is scheduled to begin Monday, October 15:

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/trans ... sion=evoke