CP to Bluegrass Farms

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

CP to Bluegrass Farms

Unread post by Waddy »

http://www.cpr.ca/en/media/cp-extends-r ... ce-in-asia

admin edit: first few lines of the article for context:
​Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (TSX: CP) (NYSE: CP) today announced a new partnership with Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (G&W) (NYSE: GWR) and Bluegrass Farms of Ohio that will open up the Ohio Valley to CP customers and further extend CP's reach into key North American markets.

CP has an exclusive agreement with Bluegrass Farms of Ohio to use its 90-acre intermodal facility in Jeffersonville, Ohio located strategically on the I-71 corridor with the ability to serve the Columbus, Cincinnati and Dayton markets. The farm consortium will continue to own the facility, and will operate it on behalf of CP. CP has also come to an agreement with G&W, which services the site through its Indiana & Ohio (IORY) line.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP to Bluegrass Farms

Unread post by penn central »

That is good news. I looked on Google Maps its showing 94 miles to Jeffersonville south of Lima. That's a nice haul for the I&O. And Lima to Chicago is 232 miles looking at Google Maps. Mmm the last time i was to Sugar Street interlocking in Lima was in 2005 there wasn't a wye in the southwest quadrant. They will come up with a plan somehow.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

penn central wrote:That is good news. I looked on Google Maps its showing 94 miles to Jeffersonville south of Lima. That's a nice haul for the I&O. And Lima to Chicago is 232 miles looking at Google Maps. Mmm the last time i was to Sugar Street interlocking in Lima was in 2005 there wasn't a wye in the southwest quadrant. They will come up with a plan somehow.
There is already a plan in the works. Surveying has been done for new wye tracks and interlocking at Sugar Street.

CG
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

CG Tower wrote:
penn central wrote:That is good news. I looked on Google Maps its showing 94 miles to Jeffersonville south of Lima. That's a nice haul for the I&O. And Lima to Chicago is 232 miles looking at Google Maps. Mmm the last time i was to Sugar Street interlocking in Lima was in 2005 there wasn't a wye in the southwest quadrant. They will come up with a plan somehow.
There is already a plan in the works. Surveying has been done for new wye tracks and interlocking at Sugar Street.

CG
Very nice CG Tower.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

First container for loading is to be spotted by Friday morning. Currently on the IHB in Chicagoland.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

JoJames wrote:First container for loading is to be spotted by Friday morning. Currently on the IHB in Chicagoland.
What will be the routing from Chicago-Jeffersonville? Thanks!
Brett

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Another question, is this the CP joint traffic that I seem to reading about somewhere (Trans Mag perhaps?)
bdconrail29 wrote:
JoJames wrote:First container for loading is to be spotted by Friday morning. Currently on the IHB in Chicagoland.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

CP Rail to Chicago, Chicago Fort Wayne & Eastern from there to Lima, I&O from Lima to Jeffersonville.
bdconrail29 wrote:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks MSchwiebert
MSchwiebert wrote:CP Rail to Chicago, Chicago Fort Wayne & Eastern from there to Lima, I&O from Lima to Jeffersonville.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

Last time I was in Lima and according to Google, there is no direct connection from the CFE EB to the I&O/CSX SB, without a back-up move. Are they going to construct one or do they connect somewhere else? Thanks- -

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Plannerdad wrote:Last time I was in Lima and according to Google, there is no direct connection from the CFE EB to the I&O/CSX SB, without a back-up move. Are they going to construct one or do they connect somewhere else? Thanks- -
Construction is planned in the very near future.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Plannerdad wrote:Last time I was in Lima and according to Google, there is no direct connection from the CFE EB to the I&O/CSX SB, without a back-up move. Are they going to construct one or do they connect somewhere else? Thanks- -
Construction is planned in the very near future.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

Thanks ! Nice to see the old Pennsy main get some more traffic.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

I’m thinking the new transfer track was to be built in the northwest quadrant to allow direct access to each yard.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

JoJames wrote:I’m thinking the new transfer track was to be built in the northwest quadrant to allow direct access to each yard.
SouthWest quadrant.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ELwillie »

Are they going to fill in the quarry on the south west corner. last I heard it was to be built on the north west corner its a short distance to IO s yard run the engines around the train and head south. check Google map. also in the Lima News "project to alleviate rail congestion" a while back.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ELwillie »

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

h2466 wrote:
JoJames wrote:I’m thinking the new transfer track was to be built in the northwest quadrant to allow direct access to each yard.
SouthWest quadrant.
Hmmm. There doesn’t seem to be much room in that quadrant due to the quarry.
Brett

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought it was going in the SouthWest quadrant.

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

Hey all!

Haven't posted on here in what seems like forever, surprised I still knew my login info! But I figured I'd offer my insight on the topic.

Firstly, the bluegrass farms facility specializes in many different forms of soy bean distribution, but the interest in intermodal comes from a neat and proven "goods in - beans out" scenario. Through the port of Vancouver and through a contract with K-Line, bluegrass will be bringing in finished goods from overseas for market to the growing distribution market of Central and SW Ohio. Then Bluegrass will be taking the containers and filling them with either palletized soy beans or filled completely with special plastic lined containers. These beans are food grade and some of the best in the world, which makes the deal great for all parties involved.

As stated before me, CP will be bringing the containers to the CFE in Chicago, then the containers will be tacked onto the usual Chicago-Ft. Wayne-Lima Trains. Also as stated previously, the quarry prevents a SW quadrant from being built at sugar street, so the train will make a quick maneuver and pit stop at the Ford Park yard before making it's trip to Konrad and eventually Blue Grass.

Due to bridge clearance issues, the containers will be single stack until the IORY finishes their undercutting of 3 bridges in Springfield. Initially, there shouldn't be too many well cars as CP and G&W are in the test phase of this new relationship, but once the Lima and Springfield improvement projects are complete there is a high possibility of future doublestack unit trains down the PRR and DT&I. Great stuff!

All of this was possible due to some great work by G&W and the State Rail Commission. A great project to bring more competition to a growing market in Ohio!

Two things to note before I end: Bluegrass Farms had already been sending their containers to Asia through NS at Rickenbacker, so these guys have some good experience already. Also, this market is unfortunately going to be affected by the tariffs, so hopefully all parties can figure a solution out to get this good deal going.

Be safe out there y'all!