Stanley Yard Hump Closing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Stanley Yard Hump Closing

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Stanley Yard Hump Closing

Unread post by Typhoon »

Before the usual suspects bring up what happened the last time Stanley was closed, let me bring up two important points. First, the amount of carload traffic going to Michigan is far less than even a decade ago. Second, they are not closing the entire yard only the hump. There will still be flat switching going on there, the volume of cars switched was less than enough to justify a hump. To give an example, Barr yard in all of its disfunction, flat switches more cars a day then Stanley humps.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Typhoon wrote:To give an example, Barr yard in all of its disfunction, flat switches more cars a day then Stanley humps.
I'm really interested to see if Harrison can get that terminal to function efficiently, more than the others! :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

florida581
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by florida581 »

Almost all of Stanley Yard's trains are now either originating or terminating at Walbridge Yard. This includes Q318, Q319, Q324, Q355, Q392, Q394, Q399, Q506, Q507, Q510, Q511, Q636, Q637, and H710. Q321 and Q322 are still showing as Stanley trains. Q509 appears to have been abolished as none has run for a few days.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Will any trains ply the rails on the Toledo Sub between Walbridge and Deshler?
Exit stage left

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

redside20 wrote:Will any trains ply the rails on the Toledo Sub between Walbridge and Deshler?
I haven't heard of any changes on the Toledo Sub between Toledo and Deshler. If I were a betting man, I'd say Hunter won't close down that segment since it isn't all that long and traffic having to be re-routed via Fostoria would case problems in that area.

If any management was going to attempt to close Toledo-Deshler, it would have been the previous "as much traffic on as few lines as possible" crowd.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Q324 ran that way today
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Don't forget it wasn't that long ago the Toledo sub was only running locals and the signal system had been shut down. Of coarse that was before the Conrail merger, they brought it out of retirement due to shifting traffic patterns after Conrail split and to relieve congestion in Fo-town
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

SousaKerry wrote:Don't forget it wasn't that long ago the Toledo sub was only running locals and the signal system had been shut down. Of coarse that was before the Conrail merger, they brought it out of retirement due to shifting traffic patterns after Conrail split and to relieve congestion in Fo-town
Yep i remember, That was between 1990 and 1997. If my memory serves me correct.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

So will the railroad ever open this yard again or is this just a temporary closure. As large as this rail yard is maybe another rail company can take it over?

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Still open, switching out auto racks over there currently, but the hump will probably never come back, be official once they start tearing the bowl tracks out
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

CSX recently offered Lake Township $25,000 if it would agree to permanently close the Walbridge Road crossing. This is the grade crossing at the throat of Stanley Yard, between East Broadway and Tracy Roads. In 2010 Lake Township trustees rejected a $10,000 offer from CSX to permanently close this crossing.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

As mentioned above, it's not totally closed. Nor would any of the other railroads that pass through/terminate in Toledo (NS, Canadian National, Ann Arbor & Wheeling & Lake Erie) need or want it.
northstar16 wrote:So will the railroad ever open this yard again or is this just a temporary closure. As large as this rail yard is maybe another rail company can take it over?

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Lake Township trustees voted to turn down the offer of $25,000 from CSX to close the Walbridge Road grade crossing. One of the township trustees is a CSX retiree, and in his opinion CSX will eventually close Stanley Yard completely. In that case the township would like to pursue development of an industrial park on the property. The Walbridge Road grade crossing on the north end of Stanley Yard is blocked by switching moves a fair amount of the time, and so locals know to avoid trying to use it. I wonder if the recent changes have caused more blockages of Walbridge Road a mile to the east, where it crosses the north end of Walbridge Yard in the village of Walbridge.