Deshler Railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Deshler Railfanning

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

I'm going with my grandma and grandpa from Grand Rapids, Ohio, and my grandpa likes trains like I do. I wanted to see if we could go to Deshler and film both CSX lines, but how often are there trains in Deshler at Crossroads Park (which is where I want to film from without trespassing)? I know the Willard/Garrett Sub is very busy coming from Tiffin and Republic, as well as the intermodal yard at North Baltimore. I also want to film at North Baltimore without trespassing. What is the best shot to film at North Baltimore without trespassing? All answers are greatly appreciated. :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Deshler Railfanning

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The park at Deshler will keep you pretty busy. There will be lulls but it's plenty busy to pretty much ensure you'll get at least a train an hour even when it's dead.

Check Google Maps for North Baltimore. There is a crossing at the far west end of the yard where it all rejoins as two mains. There is a road just west of the main yard which used to cross but was recently closed, which should still yield good views of the west end. Towards the east end there is an overpass with good views of the east end. And then there is enough open space in downtown North Baltimore to give good views there as well.

(grammar edit)
Last edited by Saturnalia on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

+1 for the post above.

It's a busy spot. In 2017 terms I want to say around 70-80 per day tops is a realistic count. It has not been uncommon to have a 24 hour count coming closer to the 50-60 end however.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Saturnalia wrote: There is a road just west of the main yard which used to cross but was recently closed, which should still yield good views of the west end. Towards the east end there is an overpass with good views of the east end.

(grammar edit)
The closed crossing is Range Line road, and the overpass is Liberty Hi road. The overpass is kinda narrow and steep so be careful up there.

The Deshler album at my Flickr link below will give good examples of photo angles. Don't be afraid to roam around some.
If you have any questions shoot me a PM or ask here. I live in Deshler and help run the park.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dti407/al ... 3680507857
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

crashton
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by crashton »

Nice Flickr album StupidFleet.

I'll add my .02 here. By all means do go to Deshler. I've only been there a couple of times, but there is always a train coming through. How many a day I have no idea, I'm the kind of person who shoots a couple of trains & then moves onto another place. For me chasing is as much fun as shooting. If you are going to N. Baltimore you might as well head over to Fostoria from there.

Have a fun day!

Chuck