CSX B&O vs. NS Chicago Line Nighttime Activity

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

CSX B&O vs. NS Chicago Line Nighttime Activity

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I am planning a multi-hotspot excursion soon throughout the Toledo Area. I know the NS Chicago Line is likely to be a bit busier in overall traffic than the B&O. If I was to spend a night along either of these lines, would the CSX be busy at this time? Also, what are well-lit spots? I know Swanton is fairly good, but am open to anywhere in the general Toledo area.

Thank you for any advice.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX B&O vs. NS Chicago Line Nighttime Activity

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Best place east of Toledo is by far Oak Harbor. The police are more than happy to let you sit in the stone parking lot at the bridge. You'll easily average 3-4 an hour 7pm-7am.
Brett

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Concur with bdconrail29. When I was young we pulled a number of all nighters at the Oak Harbor location he references. Can't/don't want to do that anymore, though.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I can't do all nighters anymore either. I'd be out by 2am.
Brett

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

bdconrail29 wrote:Best place east of Toledo is by far Oak Harbor. The police are more than happy to let you sit in the stone parking lot at the bridge. You'll easily average 3-4 an hour 7pm-7am.
I've been there a solid 8 times or so now. It's a spot me and a buddy frequent together. I'm all for it, but as I do videography, I will most likely stay in Swanton as downtown lighting really helps.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Speaking of all nighters yep i used to after work on Friday night head to Toledo, Fostoria, Willard, Then head to Greenwich recline the seat in the car get up at the crack of dawn and final out at Spencer Oh. Ahh the good ole days.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

How is the nighttime lighting at Oak Harbor? I'm not a picture or video taker, just a watcher.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

cr6903 wrote:How is the nighttime lighting at Oak Harbor? I'm not a picture or video taker, just a watcher.
There isn't much.

As far as CSX, Greenwhich/Fostoria/Deshler would be the best places to go, personally never having an issue at any of those locations.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

Alright. I've not been to Oak Harbor, but I do frequent Deshler and have been to Fostoria after dark. I used to go to Bryan a lot, but haven't really done that since it became NS (just because I got tired of the drive).

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

My experience last year was that Swanton is pretty well lit at the Main st crossing, especially on the South side of the tracks. Both times I was there, I just parked at the Ice Cream place right at the crossing.

Fulton st in Wauseon was even brighter, but the overhead crossing light supports cast a bunch of shadows on the train, so it wasn't as good for filming.

I have not found anywhere else on the NS between Wauseon and Vickers that has both good lighting and reasonable access.
Attachments
Eastbound at Swanton
Eastbound at Swanton
Westbound at Wauseon
Westbound at Wauseon
Wauseon shadows
Wauseon shadows

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Check out the furniture row parking lot off airport hwy and I-475