IORY Updates

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

IORY Updates

Unread post by AARR »

midland or anyone, I'd appreciate any updates about IORY's DT&I division. Thanks!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY Updates

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Well, for starts:

Traffic is up in on the north end. Lima North Local goes north from Ford Park Yard in Lima around 10-11pm to Delta, then turns back south and gets back to Lima around 6-8am the next morning. Pig iron to Northstar in Delta has been consistent as usual, but a new feature as of late has been the appearance of CSX and OMNX (Omnisource) scrap gons coming south. Also, Fulton County Processing has been turning out a large amount of coiled steel, often coming south from Delta in 5-10 car cuts. CN traffic has also been on the rise. Lots of CN boxcars, loaded centerbeams, tank cars, and covered hoppers of various types and reporting marks (including Gov. of Canada cyndricals) is the general makeup of this traffic. As a result, the length of the LNL has been averaging between 40-60 cars daily.

At Lima you can add even more traffic. Transload business around Ford Park Yard is booming. P&G traffic still comes daily from the CF&E. Petroleum coke traffic in cuts of 5-15 INRD/CNW/FURX hoppers from the Husky Refinery comes via NS interchange at Morris for Cincy. The ethanol plant south of town is routinely filled with outbound tank cars and inbound covered hoppers. I don't know the operating pattern of the Lima South Local as well as the North Local, but it seems like it usually heads south for Springfield in the early afternoon hours (11am-1pm) with a large train.

This is all just from general observations. Any corrections or more refined info is appreciated.

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Last year the I&O started switching a brand new customer just south of Jackson Center, Bambauers. This year when production of the GM cutout vans starts at Navistar, look for truck frames to be rolling down from Flat Rock Yard to Springfield.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Scrap for Northstar has been coming out of Cincy in mostly CSX gons and some old DEEX(?) coal gons. Outbound coil steel has really picked up the last year or so from Fulton County that goes to Cincy and CSX, lots of NOKl and WKRX coil cars and NOKL gons with the coils exposed.

Somehow they are getting away with routing some of the loads of Lumber for Lowes on the Midland via CN at Flat Rock.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Ive been told there is going to be a bean loading facility built in delta. Anybody know if its being built on the I&O? Supposedly track is already being laid, but I don't know by which railroad.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I read (somewhere) that stampings will also arrive by rail via Lima or Springfield
redside20 wrote:Last year the I&O started switching a brand new customer just south of Jackson Center, Bambauers. This year when production of the GM cutout vans starts at Navistar, look for truck frames to be rolling down from Flat Rock Yard to Springfield.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

I read (somewhere) that stampings will also arrive by rail via Lima or Springfield

That could very well be, anything is possible when it comes to the Ex DT&I's IORY. The We have the connections moniker, the motto that was the DT&I lived and died by for so long, is rising up once again..Only this time in the form of online customers and ginormous connections in Lima and Springfield.

Waddy, The I&O is the frontrunner for this Bunge Soybean Processing Plant and there is a Gerald Grain Elevator thats being constructed just down the way on NS near Wauseon. Speaking of Lima, Waddy and Geddy, Is the Transload there by I&0 yard office still called Luckey Trucking? I wonder if the I&O is still servicing that warehouse next door to another IORY customer Nichols Bakery but I forgot what they were called. They moved their main operations down to Hanthorne Road on the southside of Lima near 65 and I75. How often do they switch National Lima and Stone?
Exit stage left

redside20

Oh and Don, We were told that the boxcars with the cabshells for Navistar will come the other end via Cincinnati
Exit stage left

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Gerald Grain is building a new facility between Delta & Wauseon. Its west of the Northstar complex, on the north side of the NS tracks. NS will be the sole rail service for that. However, there's also talk that Bunge is looking at sites along the I&O in the Delta area for a new Soybean processing (meal oil etc.) plant.
Waddy wrote:Ive been told there is going to be a bean loading facility built in delta. Anybody know if its being built on the I&O? Supposedly track is already being laid, but I don't know by which railroad.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

redside20 wrote: This year when production of the GM cutout vans starts at Navistar, look for truck frames to be rolling down from Flat Rock Yard to Springfield.

I looked on google maps. There's what appears to be a transload close to the plant but, no direct access. How do they plan to get the frames into the plant?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does IORY still haul aviation fuel from Lima to Flat Rock?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The transload with the plastic pellet hoppers is the old NYC ramp where the loaded the old International Scouts and the pick up truck the plant built and then later actual semis. Supposedly going to unload them there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the updates. Anyone know the answer to this question?
AARR wrote:Does IORY still haul aviation fuel from Lima to Flat Rock?

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

AARR wrote:Thank you for the updates. Anyone know the answer to this question?
AARR wrote:Does IORY still haul aviation fuel from Lima to Flat Rock?
I do not know, at least as of recently. I remember it happening last summer though.
redside20 wrote: Waddy and Geddy, Is the Transload there by I&0 yard office still called Luckey Trucking? I wonder if the I&O is still servicing that warehouse next door to another IORY customer Nichols Bakery but I forgot what they were called. They moved their main operations down to Hanthorne Road on the southside of Lima near 65 and I75. How often do they switch National Lima and Stone?
I believe it is, but don't quote me on it. My memory is a bit blank atm but I'll find out for sure here this week. Along with that transload there is also a newer transload located on the other side of Sugar St by the old Troyer Warehouses that sees quite a bit of traffic. I haven't seen cars at the warehouses you speak of in very long time, but the spur they are served off of isn't visible well from the road either, so I could be missing things. Pretty sure they don't get anything though.

National Lime and Stone isn't switched very often. When cars do come out of there it isn't more than a few loads of ballast.

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

redside20

The name of the warehouse I couldn't think of offhand is called Wright Distribution Center and Logistics. The new main warehouse in now on Hanthorne Road, but guess they are still using the old one located at Sugar Street in Lima
Exit stage left

redside20

Correction...Menlo XPO Logistics is now occupying the Old Wright building..Don't know who is running the old Troyer facility..
Exit stage left

redside20

The first shipment of a loaded frame flat with truck frames has arrived at the transload area near the Navistar Plant. The I&O must've brought it in about 24-36 hours ago. Don't know the route it took but I'm assuming it either came down the I&O from Flat Rock to Cincinnati with NS bringing back up or NS transported it entirely on their rails. Also what looked to be a dozen covered hoppers of an agri product of some kind were occupying one of the spur tracks probably fertilizer in Mechanicsburg. Ever since Heritage erected a new facility in Marysville on CSX, things are as busy as they used to be on the I&O Mechanicsburg Sub, the grain elevator itself, and some businesses nearby have appeared to have closed becuase of the lack of activity at the elevator
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Where in the world did you come up with the I&O taking it from Flat Rock to Cincy and then NS to Springfield....? Why would they take it to Cincinnati and give it to NS and then get it back at Springfield..?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think CN picks them up in Canada and delivers them to IORY in Flat Rock who uses their own DT&I line to Springfield
redside20 wrote:The first shipment of a loaded frame flat with truck frames has arrived at the transload area near the Navistar Plant.

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

redside20 wrote: Ever since Heritage erected a new facility in Marysville on CSX, things are as busy as they used to be on the I&O Mechanicsburg Sub, the grain elevator itself, and some businesses nearby have appeared to have closed becuase of the lack of activity at the elevator
Website still shows the Mechanicsburg locations still open.