C&O- Ohio River to Toledo

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

C&O- Ohio River to Toledo

Unread post by Robert96 »

Is there any traffic left on the C&O line from the Ohio River to Columbus to Toledo? I've been hearing rumors that it's just about empty of trains anymore since the war on coal. I guess the same question could be asked about the N&W from Portsmouth to Columbus and beyond.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O- Ohio River to Toledo

Unread post by OSRR »

Robert96 wrote:I guess the same question could be asked about the N&W from Portsmouth to Columbus and beyond.

Columbus District is still plenty busy.

Daily (or almost):
233 (235 on Sundays)
29G
17M
961 ((963) This runs most days, power move to Elkhart)

L53 (1201a M-F)
L55 (0600a M-F)

Of course there's the coal trains (both directions), coke trains, grain trains, empty coke/coal/grain. Extra freights on occasion. There's 4 grain elevators (Chillicothe, Circleville, Kingston (Ashville doesn't load unit trains)). Tie plant in Piketon. Interchange with CSX in Chillicothe for the paper plant. Fertilizer dealer in Circleville.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Fostoria to Toledo is still strong (not nearly as much coal however) with trains that turn to go/from Toledo. I believe there's still at least one freight in each direction that goes/to from Columbus from Willard. South of Columbus though is where the line took the biggest hit. I don't believe there's any manifests that use that route any more and of course coal is way down. For what it's worth, CSX placed the ENTIRE C&O from the river to to Toledo in their "Secondary line" bucket - even Fostoria north. On the other hand, the former Conrail Scottslawn Secondary & Toledo Branch from Columbus to Toledo has been put in their "primary lines" bucket. Considering that the Toledo Branch had been talked about as a shortlining candidate off and on after the CR split, it's quite a reversal in roles. This almost certainly due to the line serving as the connection between the Marion Intermodal Facility and the North Baltimore Intermodal Facility. Just another example how CSX's conclusion that coal will never be what it once was, will change some long held notions of segments within the system.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Yes grain, ethanol, and coal trains in limited quantities along with other bulk commodity traffic will still ply the rails between Columbus and Ohio River.
Exit stage left

Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robert96 »

Thanks guys.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

I was always surprised that the Toledo Branch was not given to the NS on 6/1/99