N&W reach Columbus?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

N&W reach Columbus?

Unread post by OSRR »

I'm working (on paper) an idea of something similar to the B&LE except in Ohio. Basically, combine the Hocking Valley (C&O instead heads towards St Louis instead of Toledo) Columbus to Toledo line, with an additional line to Portsmouth to serve the still very active steel mills (coke plant as well). N&W instead diverts westward somewhat and then north toward toward Washington Court House and buys up what would be the DT&I to reach Detroit.

What I'm curious is, when and how did the N&W reach Columbus?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N&W reach Columbus?

Unread post by midland sub »

Back in the 1950s the PRR owned a majority owner of both the DT&I and N&W. PRR looked into having the N&W buy the PRR Morrow Secondary branch from where it crossed the N&W at Circleville west to Washington CH and then buying the DT&I. It obviously didn't happen and instead PRR sold the Sandusky branch to N&W. Then again in 1977 the N&W and Chessie System looked at buying the DT&I and splitting it between the two.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

N&W acquired the former PRR Sandusky line and there coal docks in 1964. Ken

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

midland sub wrote:Back in the 1950s the PRR owned a majority owner of both the DT&I and N&W. PRR looked into having the N&W buy the PRR Morrow Secondary branch from where it crossed the N&W at Circleville west to Washington CH and then buying the DT&I. It obviously didn't happen and instead PRR sold the Sandusky branch to N&W. Then again in 1977 the N&W and Chessie System looked at buying the DT&I and splitting it between the two.

Definitely good info but, didn't quite answer my question. What I'm looking for is when the N&W reached Columbus via Portsmouth.

Just to clarify, what I'm doing is pretty much on paper only. It would fit into the freelance category.. but my question doesn't.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

N&W purchased the Scioto line in 1890.
Brett