Springfield Abandonments

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Springfield Abandonments

Unread post by Notch 8 »

What railroad that left out of Springfield to the NE that's been ripped up in the last 10-30 years ? ran just to the north of the Robbins & Meyers Plant in Springfield.

Mike

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Springfield Abandonments

Unread post by midland sub »

I assume you are talking about what's the current Simon Kenton Trail? If so that's the old NYC Bellefontaine Branch. It was purchased by the WESTCO port authority from Conrail along with the Erie Dayton Branch Jan 1, 1994. Conrail didn't use the Erie from Maitland to Glen Echo and instead used the NYC. I&O followed suit but put Erie back in service a few years later. The old NYC had a couple bridges, including one that ODOT wanted removed for a new intersection project, so they abandoned the line back in 2000(?) from Warder St to Glen Echo.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

midland sub wrote:I assume you are talking about what's the current Simon Kenton Trail? If so that's the old NYC Bellefontaine Branch.

I believe what you are saying is what I saw because the type of signals, Springfield is an interesting tangle of tracks, I don't see much traffic but I'm only in Springfield on weekends. Anyone have a map of the Springfield area that helps explain who operates what in Springfield ?

Thank you Midland Sub !

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The abandoned signals at Warder St are the old NYC line. The east-west line is NS. The I&O runs north-south thru town on the old DT&I. Plus the tracks you saw at Warder St are the I&O former NYC branch out to Mechanicsburg. The line that runs parallel to US 68 is the old Erie Dayton Branch and now the I&O

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

I think the last run was Sept 1997 around Labor Day. Conrail took, CP Warder, Weber, Nate , and Glen Echo out of service in 1991 or 1992? Everything North of CP 183 and CP Maitland was Manual Block. GT took Maitland out of service a few years later