Couple Lima industry questions.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Couple Lima industry questions.

Unread post by OSRR »

How is the traffic from the Husky Refinery split up? How much does CSX or NS get?

Also, off of CSX's main, east of the tank factory, there's something being built. Anyone know anything about this?

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Couple Lima industry questions.

Unread post by kwh »

I believe that is the Potash facility to repair rail cars? I thought I saw a post on that awhile back but cant remember where

Keith

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

CSX and NS alternate back and forth on the amount of traffic they receive from the refinery. Some days it's weighted to NS, other days CSX, but, some traffic also goes to the I&O via their interchange with NS at Morris in Lima's east side. Look for lots of positive changes in the next 12 month. Both Potash and Husky are experiencing growth.

Speaking of Potash, the yard you see (which is 98% complete) is a storage yard for Potash cars. The situation is so clogged within south Lima yards they have opted to move their storage operation away from the area. The yard is five tracks wide and has a capacity of 125 cars,

CG Tower

OSRR wrote:How is the traffic from the Husky Refinery split up? How much does CSX or NS get?

Also, off of CSX's main, east of the tank factory, there's something being built. Anyone know anything about this?
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

CG Tower wrote:CSX and NS alternate back and forth on the amount of traffic they receive from the refinery. Some days it's weighted to NS, other days CSX, but, some traffic also goes to the I&O via their interchange with NS at Morris in Lima's east side. Look for lots of positive changes in the next 12 month. Both Potash and Husky are experiencing growth.

Speaking of Potash, the yard you see (which is 98% complete) is a storage yard for Potash cars. The situation is so clogged within south Lima yards they have opted to move their storage operation away from the area. The yard is five tracks wide and has a capacity of 125 cars,

I take it what I&O gets, goes to the CN?

I'm also assuming both CSX and NS have direct access to switch the plant?

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Both assumptions are incorrect.

I&O takes traffic north and south. Petroleum cole has been a big commodity lately. In addition, I&O hands off some traffic to the CF&E.

Neither CSX nor NS have direct access to the refinery complex. All switching is done via a contract switching company and then staged in either the NS yard or CSX yard for pick up.

CG Tower

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

What sort of traffic has the I&O been moving south out of Husky? Back in the spring and then again in September they took 20ish loads of pet coke to Cincinnati to the Port of Cincinnati to move by barge.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

As I said above, pet coke still that Ive seen recently (read since 10/1) It's not a daily move but about every other week or so. I'll see if I can track down dates and other commodities. I've been noticing a lot of tankers recently too at Morris.

CG
midland sub wrote:What sort of traffic has the I&O been moving south out of Husky? Back in the spring and then again in September they took 20ish loads of pet coke to Cincinnati to the Port of Cincinnati to move by barge.

ELwillie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ELwillie »

Is Corman storing crude oil tank cars for Husky on the old EL line by Elgin. I have seen them fill the line west of St Rt 81 with flameble placard cars then pull them later replace them with more tanks.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

ELwillie wrote:Is Corman storing crude oil tank cars for Husky on the old EL line by Elgin. I have seen them fill the line west of St Rt 81 with flameble placard cars then pull them later replace them with more tanks.
At times yes, no other way to generate any revenue.

CG Tower

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

To go along with the ones that have been parked between Fort Recovery and Coldwater on the former L&EW that have been there for a long, long time.
ELwillie wrote:Is Corman storing crude oil tank cars for Husky on the old EL line by Elgin. I have seen them fill the line west of St Rt 81 with flameble placard cars then pull them later replace them with more tanks.