Engine Houses

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Engine Houses

Unread post by Fred »

Anybody know if the Kanawha River RR eng based at Refugee is kept in an eng house ? Also, is the Zanesville & Western Scenic RR still around and if so do they still have a SW-1 kept in Fultonham ? Eng house ??

Thanks for any & all info.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Engine Houses

Unread post by midland sub »

Kanawha doesn't have any Columbus based crews or locomotives. When they run to Columbus the power stays at Watkins until they head back south. Only engine facilities they have are in West Virginia.

The Zanesville & Western uses an old side rod GE 45 ton switcher. Should be sitting outside at Avondale on State Route 93 south of Zanesville. They don't have an engine house.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thanks for that info. Was under the assumption they had a local based out of Refugee,

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Only Ohio based crews are at Hobson down outside Gallipolis. The small grain elevator and CPS fert dealer at Thurston are the only customers other than the coal mine at Burr Oak. They now switch Thurston on the way back from Watkins.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Wow, didn't know that. Thought they had some business up around Columbus (just a guess on my part). Any idea at all on a schedule when I could catch them out on the road??
Thanks again.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

NS kept the ADM grain elevator and the other couple of customers around the east side of Columbus. They ran the Dickinson-Watkins train twice this week already and just left to go back Dickinson tonight. Empty coal train for Burr Oak left this evening in front of them. It should load pretty quick and be back Friday.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Does the frt between Watkins & Dickerson usually run at night? Days are getting shorter on me now or is it my best bet just to drive down to Hobson Yard?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

There's no set schedule for what they call 380/381. There's nothing at Hobson to see either. Trains come north and either recrew there or somewhere else.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thanks again, looks like it will be a hit or miss thing. Don't want to drive all the way down to Nitro/Charleston.
Appreciate all your input.

mowingman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mowingman »

Zanesville and Western Scenic.
Some of my info may be a little out of date, but here goes.
There is no engine house at East Fultonham, or anywhere else on the railroad. In fact, last time I was there, there were no structures of any kind left at the wye area in East Fultonham.
The railroad offers train rides on a short stretch of active trackage out near Mt Perry. They have built a temporary passenger platform along the highway. The operation is currently using a 45 ton GE diesel.
The SW1 and some other equipment is stored next to a lumber yard on Hwy 93, Roseville Road. you could see it from the highway crossing a few years ago.
I read that some bridge issues have kept them from moving it and the other equipment on down to Mt Perry. Not sure if that is correct. THe last time I saw the SW1 operate, was when it was over at the Byesville Scenic trackage. I think there was a video on Youtube, of the SW1 moving cars around there at that lumber yard siding.
Jeff

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Kanawha is sitting at Refugee Road waiting for a recrew to take 381 into Watkins.