The I&O former B&O Line Passenger Serice

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

The I&O former B&O Line Passenger Serice

Unread post by northstar16 »

I'm sure but not positive back in the day when B&O was in service how many passenger trains ran on the Oakley line? I remember back in the day that line was very busy like in the early 70s with freight trains but also thought passenger trains ran on that line as well.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The I&O former B&O Line Passenger Serice

Unread post by midland sub »

I assume you mean the old B&O and now the Midland Sub. Back before Amtrak started up in 1971 here's what I think there was running right before then. B&O had #11 and #12 which were the Metropolitan. N&W had the Pocahontas pair they ran from Clare up to Oakley then to CUT. PC had the pair of Chicago to Cincinnati trains that came down the Richmond Branch and turned and went via Oakley. After Amtrak there was for a short time the James Whitcomb Riley as it got moved around from route to route. Then finally the Shenandoah from Oct '77 to Oct '81 over the actual B&O to Wash DC. If you back into the 1960s you add National Limited pair on the B&O, Powhatan Arrow on the N&W and before Penn Central on the PRR you had the Columbus-Cincy Cincinnati Limited pair plus the Chicago train pair.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The I&O former B&O Line Passenger Serice

Unread post by northstar16 »

Interesting so there were several on that line back in the day. I knew back in the 70s I saw passenger trains on the line when I went up to my aunts home in Madisonville. It is amazing how times have changed and how that line has changed.