Ottawa question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jhnmummert
Railroadfan...fan

Ottawa question

Unread post by jhnmummert »

Are the railroad tracks which pass over US 224 on the east side of Ottawa ever used? This would be the rail line that served the old Phillips plant. Thanks!

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ottawa question

Unread post by heartlandguy »

jhnmummert wrote:Are the railroad tracks which pass over US 224 on the east side of Ottawa ever used? This would be the rail line that served the old Phillips plant. Thanks!
That would be the former Detroit Toledo & Ironton line around Ottawa, now known as the Ottawa Industrial Loop. It is currently used by the Indiana and Ohio Railroad to serve two industries, Silgan Plastics Corp and Steel Technologies, on the southeast side of Ottawa on an as needed basis.

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There's a small elevator that I'm told ships something infrequently. Alphalpha pellets or something like that perhaps.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

AARR wrote:There's a small elevator that I'm told ships something infrequently. Alphalpha pellets or something like that perhaps.
No longer a switch off the main for them to receive rail service. Alfalfa Green is a conglomerate of dehydrated alfalfa pellet makers. If they ship by rail they will use the CPS location at Ottawa on CSX to load cars as they can load 15 and get a better rate at that location. Yarnells of Deshler and located west of town would be another company involved in Alfalfa Green.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update :)
JoJames wrote:
AARR wrote:There's a small elevator that I'm told ships something infrequently. Alphalpha pellets or something like that perhaps.
No longer a switch off the main for them to receive rail service. Alfalfa Green is a conglomerate of dehydrated alfalfa pellet makers. If they ship by rail they will use the CPS location at Ottawa on CSX to load cars as they can load 15 and get a better rate at that location. Yarnells of Deshler and located west of town would be another company involved in Alfalfa Green.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...