Toledo Ohio Chicago Line Railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
DieselElevators
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo Ohio Chicago Line Railfanning

Unread post by DieselElevators »

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about railfanning the double main on the swing bridge over the Maumee River. I am posibly going to be visiting the area in the near future and was wondering if it is alright/safe to railfan down on a small parking lot right at the east end of the bridge. The lot is at the end of a small stone road just off of Miami Street. Based on google maps views, there are no marked "No Trespassing" signs, until you're actually at the tracks. You can also see a few cars parked down there as like they're railfans. I do however see security cameras on poles which are probably railroad owned. I was just wondering if the railroad minds railfans being on location, so long as they don't do anything stupid (such as going on the tracks, playing with equipment, or walking on the bridge). Thanks!

As a side note I'll note a similar area that I know about. Buffalo, NY is home to CP Draw, which is a CSX and NS squeeze point with a set of drawbridges. From the end of the bridge you can get nice shots of trains going through, but the place is flooded with security cameras. I was told of risks, of people being constantly thrown out of the place on any day of the week for being there (CSX owns this). Despite this I took a gamble. I was there for about 8 hours, all day, and had not a single problem. Trains going by were fairly friendly, many giving salutes and a few giving horn shows, even a local NS switching crew didn't mind my presence. I assume that these people being thrown out were trying to climb the drawbridges or playing on the tracks, as I did none of this and was fine all day.

That's why I'm asking, as these are both very alike places with alike security, so I just don't know if Toledo may stand safe or if any person that goes there is thrown out instantly.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo Ohio Chicago Line Railfanning

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Go for it. We've all had encounters before. If there should be an issue, then leave and go to Plan B. Vickers is just a hop away, as well as Swanton, both awesome places to visit.

And even in situations where the railfan may be in the wrong, as long as they have scanners, a camera, or railfan equipment and wave to the crews, I wouldn't be worried. No, I'm not saying to go to illegal spots, but my point is that if you should be in a iffy spot, most of the time you're left alone. Once in a while, you may find a grumpy RR employee, but I don't engage with them, to keep the peace and prevent us from getting a bad rep. I have noticed CSX has been friendlier than NS in places where RR patrol may be slightly higher.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

FYI, Miami St. is closed in that stretch right now as they are replacing the bridge over the tracks. Access may be a challenge.
RR Pass Collector

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

I'm pretty sure that's where the bridge operator parked/used to park.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

DieselElevators wrote:As a side note I'll note a similar area that I know about. Buffalo, NY is home to CP Draw, which is a CSX and NS squeeze point with a set of drawbridges. From the end of the bridge you can get nice shots of trains going through, but the place is flooded with security cameras. I was told of risks, of people being constantly thrown out of the place on any day of the week for being there (CSX owns this). Despite this I took a gamble. I was there for about 8 hours, all day, and had not a single problem. Trains going by were fairly friendly, many giving salutes and a few giving horn shows, even a local NS switching crew didn't mind my presence. I assume that these people being thrown out were trying to climb the drawbridges or playing on the tracks, as I did none of this and was fine all day.
It seems to be hit or miss with being hassled at Draw by CSX, NS, or Buffalo Police!

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

The old Miami Street bridge had no sidewalk on the river (west) side, but did have a sidewalk on the other side. It was somewhat of a suicide mission taking shots of the train coming across the Maumee from the bridge, but some nice shots could be had. My guess is, when the new bridge is opened up, they'll have the ghetto fencing installed, preventing you from taking pictures from the bridge.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I go to the Amtrak Station and Wauseon if I rail fanned the Chicago line in Ohio

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Something to keep in mind - back when the bridge operator parked there (they now park on the west side) a fully enclosed chain link "cage" was put up so the operator could park their car in it and lock up behind it - to make sure that their car was still there when they got back. I'm not saying that it's Toledo's worst neighborhood, but it is the east side.....