CSX Derailment - Tontogany Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Derailment - Tontogany Ohio

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Train 324 put 6 cars on ground in "downtown" Tontogany earlier this evening. See news link (below) for preliminary info and some photos.

http://www.wtol.com/story/32411439/trai ... -tontogany

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX Derailment - Tontogany Ohio

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Though I'm not sure, I have a gut feeling this can be connected to poor tracks. This part of the CSX Line is completely straight, and track speed isn't 50 or 60, so I feel track problems/bad maintenance could be related to the incident.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Tier4GEVO wrote:Though I'm not sure, I have a gut feeling this can be connected to poor tracks. This part of the CSX Line is completely straight, and track speed isn't 50 or 60, so I feel track problems/bad maintenance could be related to the incident.
What a terrible argument. While it *may* be a track defect, I don't see how you could be asserting this out of the blue with any sort of confidence.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Actually track speed from the end of the 25 at Perrysburg to North Deshler is 50, but the argument is still invalid. Anyways, preliminary indication is that a bearing on one of the cars (it had tripped the HBD/DED at MP 178.8 - just south of Tontogany, and they were going to set it off) had burnt off.
Tier4GEVO wrote:Though I'm not sure, I have a gut feeling this can be connected to poor tracks. This part of the CSX Line is completely straight, and track speed isn't 50 or 60, so I feel track problems/bad maintenance could be related to the incident.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Derailments are much less likely on tangent track.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

MSchwiebert wrote:Actually track speed from the end of the 25 at Perrysburg to North Deshler is 50...
Speed at Deshler drops to 35 at the diamond, not the north end.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
What a terrible argument. While it *may* be a track defect, I don't see how you could be asserting this out of the blue with any sort of confidence.
Pardon me for thinking out loud :D :D

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

The Issue with "thinking out loud" is that there are people on this list that work in the industry and have much more insight then the rest of us. To that end, thinking out loud, while seemingly harmless, can be taken as ignorant and somewhat insulting to those involved in things. Professionalism is important, regardless of the forum.

CG Tower

Tier4GEVO wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
Pardon me for thinking out loud :D :D
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

Trains magazine reports the defect detector set off an alert just prior to the derailment and eyewitness accounts indicate as the train was rolling to a stop a bearing was smoking and on fire.
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Be careful of what the voices in your head are telling you.............................................

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

M.D.Bentley wrote:Be careful of what the voices in your head are telling you.............................................
Opinions are opinions. If someone wants to dig for the negatives in it, then by all means they can. I'm sorry, I guess I need to analyze every post to make sure it doesn't upset the hardcores who look to blatantly criticize because I'm not an expert on railroads.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I was getting more at the fact that you really were questioning the safety of trackage systems without any applicable knowledge. Thinking aloud is one thing, questioning the integrity of track is another - especially without any factual basis.

My post was only intended as a helpful acknowledgement of what you seemed to be asserting. Trust me, I've learned the hard way the speculating about the job done by railroaders by Railfans does not go over well - and quite frankly, it shouldn't. Not our job to criticize the fine men and women who work for the railroad with unbased assertions of shoddy track!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

There was the derailment in February 2014. My friend Gavin McLennan has the derailment scene in the middle of one of his videos so check it out.
Skip to 2:59 all the way to 4:01.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srjodxv ... Pf&index=6