Sandusky Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Sandusky Questions

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

This may be a silly question, but is the the east-west line in Sandusky the Chicago Line? I heard the Chicago Line is very busy and good for heritage units. Does anyone in the area know how many trains come through Sandusky each day, and when the best times are? I'm from Michigan and I will be in Sandusky this summer.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Sandusky Questions

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

TrainStuff13 wrote:This may be a silly question, but is the the east-west line in Sandusky the Chicago Line? I heard the Chicago Line is very busy and good for heritage units. Does anyone in the area know how many trains come through Sandusky each day, and when the best times are? I'm from Michigan and I will be in Sandusky this summer.
To answer the first part of the question. Yes.

This part of the Chicago Line gets about 60 trains per day. Theoretically, this is 2.5 trains per hour.

Busiest times for this part of the Chicago Line - It's very steady until about 3pm. After 3-4pm, it tends to slow down, though remember, on a busy mainline, it won't go dead for too long. It picks back up about to the "busy phase" after 9pm.

I was in Oak Harbor from 930am to 345pm and saw 26 trains. After 345pm it fell totally dead.

As for heritage units, there's a small chance you could see one. Wouldn't get your hopes up too high though.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Tier4GEVO wrote:
TrainStuff13 wrote:This may be a silly question, but is the the east-west line in Sandusky the Chicago Line? I heard the Chicago Line is very busy and good for heritage units. Does anyone in the area know how many trains come through Sandusky each day, and when the best times are? I'm from Michigan and I will be in Sandusky this summer.

This part of the Chicago Line gets about 60 trains per day. Theoretically, this is 2.5 trains per hour.

Busiest times for this part of the Chicago Line - It's very steady until about 3pm. After 3-4pm, it tends to slow down, though remember, on a busy mainline, it won't go dead for too long. It picks back up about to the "busy phase" after 9pm.

I was in Oak Harbor from 930am to 345pm and saw 26 trains. After 345pm it fell totally dead.

As for heritage units, there's a small chance you could see one. Wouldn't get your hopes up too high though.
Thanks, I'll remember that when I go! I'll probably go to the Amtrak station. I know the chance of seeing a heritage unit isn't great, but I'll use the website.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

TrainStuff13 wrote:
Tier4GEVO wrote:

Thanks, I'll remember that when I go! I'll probably go to the Amtrak station. I know the chance of seeing a heritage unit isn't great, but I'll use the website.
That is a good spot, also some good spots in Ceylon and Huron. Hard to get super close to the lake near Danbury, but you can get some really beautiful shots there.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Tier4GEVO wrote:That is a good spot, also some good spots in Ceylon and Huron. Hard to get super close to the lake near Danbury, but you can get some really beautiful shots there.
If I had a camera with better zoom, I would go on the fishing pier. I'll probably move around a lot when I'm there, including Bellevue.