Toledo, Lake Erie & Western (TLEW)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo, Lake Erie & Western (TLEW)

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

Does anyone know what's up with this in Grand Rapids. I have grandparents that live there, but as far as I know they run speeders or something like that. When they start running again will they do any freight service?

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo, Lake Erie & Western (TLEW)

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

This should answer your questions....
http://tlew.org/

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Why not become a volunteer and find out? I know they could use the help as can almost every museum of this type.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Try messaging on the FB page or e-mail to tlewrailwaymuseum@yahoo.com

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

I've emailed them about a week ago and didn't get an answer. Does anyone know why?

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:I've emailed them about a week ago and didn't get an answer. Does anyone know why?
Try sending a message through the Facebook page.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

They need to just rip up the rails and let it die.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:They need to just rip up the rails and let it die.
Why? If you tear it up historical purposes are destroyed. Then they'll want to rebuild just like the Riga-Ottawa Lake project in Michigan.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

I know the group has had some struggles with membership but give them a chance. There are good people in every organization if you let them shine through they may amaze you.

Many groups are hurting these days(not just railroad museums) as our busy lives keep us away from volunteering time with organizations like this. Remember if you do not support them they will go away and you will have nothing left to photograph and remember the past with.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:Does anyone know what's up with this in Grand Rapids. I have grandparents that live there, but as far as I know they run speeders or something like that. When they start running again will they do any freight service?
Ha I have grandparents that live near there too :D

The T&LEW will not probably see freight service for like 20 years Because the tracks are SO OLD.

The T&LEW has had lots of bad people stealing stuff like horns, bells, coach seats, engine parts and etc. They even broke a window

I just want to say Die Toledo Lake Erie and Western you tried too much you had a great life. I think they should put all of their equipment into a museum and keep them nice. This was the good days I found on YouTube back in 1994

To me there are better tourist lines and museums than that here is a video I took on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushgvNj68cc in the video they are just letting the patch of equipment root.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

CSXBOY wrote:The T&LEW will not probably see freight service for like 20 years Because the tracks are SO OLD.
You are basing these expert opinions on what?
CSXBOY wrote:I just want to say Die Toledo Lake Erie and Western you tried too much you had a great life.
Yes, because for many in this new generation it is easier to destroy and erase history than it is to work preserve it for future generations.
CSXBOY wrote:The T&LEW has had lots of bad people stealing stuff like horns, bells, coach seats, engine parts and etc. They even broke a window
Although it can't be easily proven, mostly this was done by individuals who put their personal agendas ahead of the needs of the organization as a whole. This has happened at least 3 times in the history of the group.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

CSXBOY wrote:The T&LEW will not probably see freight service for like 20 years Because the tracks are SO OLD.
What kind of freight service would they provide? Are there any on-line customers? If so, does their business even come close to paying to keep it alive?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for at least keeping it there-once it's gone, it's gone for good, basically. Anything they can do to help keep it going is good, within reason. However, I think the idea of running some kind of excursion train on a regular basis is just not feasible. It would help, but it would likely not even be able to cover it's own expenses.

In the last 25 years, I have been on a motorcar on this line, my Hyrail truck has been on it, I've even helped pump a handcar across it once. I've never seen anything even remotely close to an on-line shipper on it. Freight service isn't free, after all.

As far as the tracks being "so old", how are the tracks on the old Maumee and Western? Any newer? They handle traffic, even Hazmat, too, from what I understand.
Nice. During the 1990-1997 time period, there were no through trains through Tontogany, where you are. Maybe they should have just torn it out and "let it die" as well.

Small, close to abandoned rail lines have enough enemies as it is-Hell, a small railroad in NY(I think) was just torn out awhile back. The Rails-to-trails people were all over it and couldn't wait for it to be gone. Now, no one will ever Hyrail or motorcar that line again.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

The T&LEW will not probably see freight service for like 20 years Because the tracks are SO OLD.
Apparently you have not dated much rail. Many lines see service on rails approaching or exceeding 100 years of age. Most industrial sidings which are still active use relay rail that can be in this age range as well. What breaks rail is not age but tonnage and speed as well as roadbed and tie condition. Running slow speed over old rail occasionally it will last indefinitely as long as it is not submerged or exposed to acids.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Lol this topic >
Bottom text.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Yes I know its very sad for a tourist railroad to give up The tracks are extremely old, the equipment is in bad shape, they had people breaking into their stuff (air horns, seats, locomotive parts) and they sell it for money its very bad, Plus they will idiot drivers going around the crossings because most of the crossings dont have barriers.

Back in 2008 I was in Kindergarten very young kid (right before the people broke into the tourist railroad) Me, my dad, and my grandpa went on the Halloween train excursion I thought at first "How do these people run this railroad because how bad the tracks are" It was a nice train ride I got to go in the cab of 5109 and blew the horn. Everyone else just rung the bell :D

Now I thought the tracks on the LSRC Huron sub were bad until I saw these

Well here are some of my favorite tourist railroads is the country is the Georgetown loop railroad in Colorado, The Steam railroading institute in Owosso, The Western Maryland railroad in Maryland and The Cuyhoga Valley railroad in Akron. At least these employees keep the tracks up and equipment in good use

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

CSXBOY wrote:Plus they will idiot drivers going around the crossings because most of the crossings dont have barriers.
Idiot drivers go around barriers as well. In Michigan you're supposed to approach the crossing with care, making sure there is not a train present before proceeding through the crossing. I have a hard time believing the rules in Ohio are much different. Most people ignore everything but the 'proceed through the crossing' part, then accuse the train of wrong doing.
CSXBOY wrote:Well here are some of my favorite tourist railroads is the country is the Georgetown loop railroad in Colorado, The Steam railroading institute in Owosso, The Western Maryland railroad in Maryland and The Cuyhoga Valley railroad in Akron. At least these employees keep the tracks up and equipment in good use
BerkshireKid and a few others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure SRI isn't a tourist railroad. The track they run on is the old Ann Arbor line (mostly) owned by the State of Michigan, and maintained by Great Lakes Central who is the state's designated operator.
~ Charles W.