D&TSL Lang Yard Tower- Demolition

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

D&TSL Lang Yard Tower- Demolition

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Surprised no one mentioned it, but CN began the demolition of the old brick DTSL tower on the South end of Lang Yard recently. Photos by C. Geletzke/R. Westrate

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: D&TSL Lang Yard Tower- Demolition

Unread post by iKJames »

Just a correction, this is actually located on the north end of the yard.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

Sad, just sad. It could have been used for historical purposes.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:Sad, just sad. It could have been used for historical purposes.
I seriously doubt that. Railroad companies (especially big ones) don't want outside people or organizations on their property any more than they absolutely have to allow. So for the tower to have been preserved, it probably would have had to be moved off of CN's property and almost certainly away from the yard. As hard as it is for most historical groups to raise funding for projects they are already working on, it would have been far more difficult to raise funds to move a 3+ story building out of the yard, not to mention finding land to put it on, and additional money to restore it for some sort of use. Then they'd have to find something to use it for. This particular building was built in a specific location for a specific purpose, and that purpose won't be fulfilled unless it's in an active rail yard where certain switching operations take place. So, while it's kind of sad to see it go, it's better to see it go now than to watch it fall in on itself over the next couple decades...
~ Charles W.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

GreatLakesRailfan is correct. Preservation would not have been practical or feasible in this case. Along the lines of historic railroad structures, I am surprised that the former DT&I one stall engine house (is this all that remains of their roundhouse?) and tower are still standing on Laskey Road, at the south end of Temperance Yard. I don't know when either was last used, but I believe the track north of Temperance Yard was removed in the mid-1960's.