N.S. Portsmouth east yard.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

N.S. Portsmouth east yard.

Unread post by Paw95 »

They are still laying people off in the yard. My neighbor along with many others are losing their houses. Just wonder how many people will be cut because they are still at it.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Re: N.S. Portsmouth east yard.

Unread post by OSRR »

Paw95 wrote:They are still laying people off in the yard. My neighbor along with many others are losing their houses. Just wonder how many people will be cut because they are still at it.

Transportation has brought some back. Seems we're still out of people anyway. Columbus only brought a few back.

I haven't heard anything on the car department/mechanical/maintenance side of things.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

Just furloughed 2 Carmen, 2 machinists, 2 electricians, and 2 laborers today.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

I wouldn't look for anything to get better as far as pink slips. NS still cutting and will cut till the end of the year as shipments are down. Coal and oil shipments are down which is the main focus of Portsmouth. NS is hauling longer loads from what I understand and trying to cut back on small loads. The focus is consolidation!

Mid Ohio is busy as that is a focal point of all NS traffic in Ohio. No pink slips up there at this point. As you can see but the last earnings report from NS cutbacks in labor made the FS look pretty good yet shipments are down. Maybe by year end shipments may pick up.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Thanks for the info. The railroad employs many people in this town and many are losing that job. The line is busy as hell though.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

northstar16 wrote:Coal and oil shipments are down which is the main focus of Portsmouth.

Crude doesn't move through Portsmouth. It stays north an goes through Pennsylvania. The tank trains you see roll through Portsmouth are Ethonal.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

All I see is some coal,grain,gondolas,lumber,steel,vehicles, and lots of intermodals

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

brc0227 wrote:Just furloughed 2 Carmen, 2 machinists, 2 electricians, and 2 laborers today.
What do machinist do for the railroad ? I know what machinist do but I haven't seen a mill or a lathe on the RR.. curious ?

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

Notch 8 wrote:
brc0227 wrote:Just furloughed 2 Carmen, 2 machinists, 2 electricians, and 2 laborers today.
What do machinist do for the railroad ? I know what machinist do but I haven't seen a mill or a lathe on the RR.. curious ?
Most machinist on the railroad are essentially diesel mechanics.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

brc0227 wrote:
Notch 8 wrote:
Most machinist on the railroad are essentially diesel mechanics.
Thank you for your reply !

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Is the railroad a union job?

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Paw95 wrote:Is the railroad a union job?
Your Class 1s certainly are but, take it for what it's worth. Lot of corruption and "money in hand" so to speak up top.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I always thought that the railroad Union was pretty strong. Is that not the case any longer?

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

heypal6878 wrote:I always thought that the railroad Union was pretty strong. Is that not the case any longer?

They generally keep your job. That's about it. Far as investigations and Contracts go.. don't count on anything good anymore. Sometimes I wonder why we even have a union.

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

There's good and bad with the railroad unions. Some are better than others and some are just downright terrible. But I still wouldn't want to work for NS or any class one without a union.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I know back in the day the rail road union was strong. Railroads would go on strike and transportation would be shut down. I guess like anything else government came in and soften the union.