CSX (CR) SL Secondary / Toledo Branch discussions.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

CSX (CR) SL Secondary / Toledo Branch discussions.

Unread post by OSRR »

If you get on google maps at Kenton and follow Rt68 to Occidental Chemical. Just below them, there appears to be the start of a decent sized industry with a single track all the way through it.

Does anyone have any info on this? My google-fu is weak and doesn't seem to turn up much.

For the other one. Just across from the Scotts Lawn plant (also, anyone know what SL takes in and/or ships out?). From the looks of it to me, someone is building a rather nice modern grain elevator. Would anyone know what this is?

EDIT: Ah, found my answer for this one here. New grain elevator/fertilizer storage facility. This one here has a little more info.
Last edited by OSRR on Sun May 08, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX (CR) Scotts Lawn Secondary questions and discussion.

Unread post by JoJames »

Not real sure what the industry is. This track isn't the Scottsawn secondary. It's the former line from Bellfontaine to Sandusky with most being abandoned in the early Penn Central era.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

OSRR wrote:If you get on google maps at Kenton and follow Rt68 to Occidental Chemical. Just below them, there appears to be the start of a decent sized industry with a single track all the way through it.

Does anyone have any info on this? My google-fu is weak and doesn't seem to turn up much.

Was supposed to be the staging yard for the proposed wind farm to be built in the county. Ken

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

JoJames wrote:Not real sure what the industry is. This track isn't the Scottsawn secondary. It's the former line from Bellfontaine to Sandusky with most being abandoned in the early Penn Central era.

I've seen it referred to as the Toledo Branch as well. Whats the correct name for it?

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Toledo Branch north of Ridgeway and Scottslawn secondary south of Ridgeway. The line your referring to at Kenton is called the Alloger industrial track.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

JoJames wrote:Toledo Branch north of Ridgeway and Scottslawn secondary south of Ridgeway. The line your referring to at Kenton is called the Alloger industrial track.

Ah.. thanks for the info. I changed the title accordingly.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX (CR) SL Secondary / Toledo Branch discussions.

Unread post by midland sub »

It was the Sands Industrial track of what was left of the old NYC Bellefontaine to Sandusky branch that Penn Central had abandoned in chunks. Should be Occidental Chemical that still gets cars. That and an old Rockwell plant you can still see the foundation just north of it were the only customers for years. They built the transload place to unload windmill parts back 7 to 8 years ago. They got the name Sands from the tower where the line crossed the former Erie main.They use what's left of the Erie main at Kenton to access it. Most of the Kenton customers are on the old Erie main.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Thanks for the info guys. Any more on the other industries along the line?

Also, on a side note.. but related. I've found a few pieces of info on trainorders saying that during the Conrail split, the line was on the chopping block to be sold off to a shortline operator. Had the Honda plant not been built (If I'm correct this was in the 80s?), would speculation say the line would've been sold? CSX already had a route into Toledo and I suppose NS might have been interested in it as a bypass of Bellevue.

EDIT: At North Baltimore. I've figured out the industry next to Keystone Foods is Air Products. Does anyone know if they receive rail cars? Also, just north of Air Products, there's an industry with covered hoppers and some sort of other cars. What is this place?

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Air products does not receive rail service. The place recieving railcars is a livestock feed producer.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

Is this the one that goes through Bowling Green, or the abandoned line from Stoney Ridge to Heath, it goes through Luckey and Pemberville? :?:

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

JoJames wrote:Air products does not receive rail service. The place recieving railcars is a livestock feed producer.

So after some more research. Appears to be Bakery Feeds. And using google street view, those other cars appear to be old woodchip gondola's with covers on them. I kinda wonder what they haul in them. There was also two tanks car's spotted there at one time.

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:Is this the one that goes through Bowling Green, or the abandoned line from Stoney Ridge to Heath, it goes through Luckey and Pemberville? :?:
Bowling Green.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Those old woodchip cars are loaded with inbound material from large commercial bakers. They buy whatever leftover crumbs, broken product or waste cookies, cakes, cereal etc. that would end up going to a dump. It's made into animal feed. Pretty interesting that there's enough waste products to fill a woodchip car.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Amazing what railroads will carry 8) . Is this a high volume commodity or just a few car loads every now and then? Would you happen to know where it originates from?
midland sub wrote:Those old woodchip cars are loaded with inbound material from large commercial bakers. They buy whatever leftover crumbs, broken product or waste cookies, cakes, cereal etc. that would end up going to a dump. It's made into animal feed. Pretty interesting that there's enough waste products to fill a woodchip car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Yes, this is common practice in the processed food industry, I worked for a while at the cookie factory in McComb Oh in my youth and their scraps/waste went to Kalmbach feeds in Upper Sandusky Oh.
midland sub wrote:Those old woodchip cars are loaded with inbound material from large commercial bakers. They buy whatever leftover crumbs, broken product or waste cookies, cakes, cereal etc. that would end up going to a dump. It's made into animal feed. Pretty interesting that there's enough waste products to fill a woodchip car.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Pretty neat. Wonder if anyone has ever photographed those cars?

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

OSRR wrote:
JoJames wrote:Air products does not receive rail service. The place recieving railcars is a livestock feed producer.

So after some more research. Appears to be Bakery Feeds. And using google street view, those other cars appear to be old woodchip gondola's with covers on them. I kinda wonder what they haul in them. There was also two tanks car's spotted there at one time.

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:Is this the one that goes through Bowling Green, or the abandoned line from Stoney Ridge to Heath, it goes through Luckey and Pemberville? :?:
Bowling Green.
Ok.