Marion Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Marion Questions

Unread post by ChessieForever »

With spring in the air and longer days ahead, am wanting to make a daytrip down to Marion on a Friday or Saturday. Can anyone 'in the know' tell me how many trains I might see from 6 in the morning until 8 in the evening at the depot? Would like to see at least 25-30 trains in the daylight hours for both NS and CSX combined. According to my records, I show: Q007,Q008,Q022,Q119,Q123,Q226,Q227,Q260,Q263,Q279,Q296,Q299,Q358,Q359,Q364,Q366,Q377
as trains I might see on the Avon / Greenwich line. Do Q710/Q711 still come through town on the C&O? Any additions or corrections? Thanks.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Marion Questions

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Q299 doesn't come through there. Q254 does. I'm not sure about the others
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

ChessieForever wrote:With spring in the air and longer days ahead, am wanting to make a daytrip down to Marion on a Friday or Saturday. Can anyone 'in the know' tell me how many trains I might see from 6 in the morning until 8 in the evening at the depot? Would like to see at least 25-30 trains in the daylight hours for both NS and CSX combined. Thanks.
You can likely count on 20-25 on each the NS and the various CSX lines, during the daylight hours. The former Erie and Former Big Four are busier in the early morning and toward dusk. The NS pretty much stays constant. The Former C&O is a crap shoot at any time of the day or night. (Three trains in an hour, then three hours without one.)

The real treat is being there when three or four trains are passing the station at the same time.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

If you're planning a trip there anyway you'll be in a perfect position to find all this out and report back to us.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ChessieForever »

Thanks for the responses. As always, I will give you a detailed report of my findings when the time comes.