Lunken Airport bike path

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Lunken Airport bike path

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Today was a great day to get out and walk so I went down to Lunken airport and walked the five mile path. Since all the brush is cut down I saw something very interesting. On the west side of the path about a mile out from the Sky Galley on the right side something caught my eye. It was train wheels several of them all rusted and doors from box cars. I went down the hill to look at them more closely no id marks on the doors just painted dark tan, there was a old wheel down there that looked like maybe the wheel that comes off a box car to set the brake, an old empty took box that I could make out NW on it under the rust, it was in the mud pulled it out and worked on it as I could see writing on it.

I looked a old rail pictures from years ago never see any railroad lines on the Lunken Airport side. Talked to an old guy at the Sky Galley he said most likely that stuff washed up from past floods maybe even the big flood bank in the day. He said the entire airport was covered back then. I would think wheels off a train won't wash up from the river all the way up to Lunken? All the stuff was like in one small area. Any ideas?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lunken Airport bike path

Unread post by midland sub »

I'm lost where you said you saw this at. Did you mean you were east of Sky Galley on the Lunkin alongside Airport Rd? This would put you down at the end of the runways by the Executive Air and Ultimate Air hangers? If so there's a Cohen scrapyard that's been there for years and would explain what you saw. That's the only place I could a hillside along the trail.

If you go back over there tomorrow or this weekend the Ringling Bros train will be spotted up by Sky Galley off of Wilmer in what's left of Undercliff yard the I&O uses.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lunken Airport bike path

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Midland it was on the opposite side of the Ultimate Hanger around the bend on the bike path. West side towards the river. Yes matter of fact there is a scrapyard there but more towards Kellogge Avenue. Nothing is down in the area where this items were found but woods and a pond about two or three hundred yards away.

I'm off on Saturday will check out the circus train. Thanks