C&O in Chillicothe

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

C&O in Chillicothe

Unread post by Robert96 »

Does anyone know when the C&O realigned their track in Chillicothe? Early 60's maybe?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: C&O in Chillicothe

Unread post by midland sub »

The C&O never realigned their tracks through Chillicothe. The C&O wasn't built between Columbus and the Ohio River until the late 1920s(?). At that point it was built on the eastern edge of town and never accessed Chillicothe.

Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Midland. I was looking at the USGS from 1954 and they don't have the C&O shown from Richmond Dale to Renick. I thought it seemed weird but a 1960 aerial shows the C&O as it should be. They show it as running up the B&O to Chili from Richmond Dale on the 1954 map. Are the C&O and N&W still busy through there since the war on coal started? Thanks.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

NS has 233, 234, 218, 217, 236, 17M, 195, 18M, 272, 29G, 188, and 194... all are daily for the most part. There's generally a 960 most days, a power move to Elkart (This used to be on 17M). Also, a Midnight and 6AM local (5 day a week).

You've also got the extra stuff, Coke trains, Coal (whats left), Grain, Ethanol... (all have loaded and empty counter parts). On occasion you'll see extra re-routes.

Robert96
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you OSRR.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The line from Richmondale to Renick was actually the B&O's CH&D Dayton to Wellston line. From VA Jct to RA (Richmondale) the B&O and C&O used the same tracks. There's others that can do a better job explaining it than myself. The Wellston Sub crossed the N&W at Renick at the Mead. The yard for the Wellston is still pretty much still in place just east of the mill. From there the line has been gone since the early to mid 1970s. The B&O didn't need to different lines into Chillicothe from the west and the flood prone Wellston was easy to get rid of.

Robert96 wrote:Thanks Midland. I was looking at the USGS from 1954 and they don't have the C&O shown from Richmond Dale to Renick. I thought it seemed weird but a 1960 aerial shows the C&O as it should be. They show it as running up the B&O to Chili from Richmond Dale on the 1954 map. Are the C&O and N&W still busy through there since the war on coal started? Thanks.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I'm horrible with the Northern Sub trains on CSX. For the time being there's a couple single stack container trains that I don't know if they run everyday. For another year or so there's unit container train of trash for the dump at Ashland until it closes Q710/711(?). Q310/311 and another mixed freight. A few loaded coal trains in both directions with their corresponding empties. I'm not sure if the K080 oil trains to Virginia are still running. Most of the grain traffic from central Ohio and Michigan are routed down the Northern Sub. Throw in some ethanol trains from time to time.