Couple Chillicothe questions.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Couple Chillicothe questions.

Unread post by OSRR »

I've worked the ADM grainery a few times on the locals. We place/pull the empties/loads in the middle track between Paint creek and Renick (Eventually a crew is called to come get it, either bringing power from Columbus or Portsmouth... or in some cases, one of the road trains has dropped power at Chillicothe). How does CSX do this maneuver? Where do they store the train when it's loaded/empty.

I see Barber Spring Ohio (on google maps) appears to has a track into their business. When did they stop receiving cars? Also, what did they receive? I imagine either some sort of coil wire or bar stock of some sort.

PPG/PGW off of Southern avenue. Appears there was a track off the old wye into their warehouse(?) at one time. Did they receive or ship by rail? If so, what?

Also, what's left that the CSX local works? I'm thinking the paper plant is the only thing left. Does the plant ship anything outbound by rail?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Couple Chillicothe questions.

Unread post by midland sub »

Actually NS has trackage rights over the old B&O to access ADM. Usually it's L55 that pulls and spots the grain trains. NS derailed a few years ago over in front of the CSX office on Douglas Ave, I believe CSX won't let NS use six axles any longer to access ADM. There's no rhyme or reason why ADM uses one or other for the grain traffic. NS had most of it back in 2014, but I believe it's back to being split between the two pretty equally.

Barber Spring still uses rail. It's real hit or miss most of the time. They get inbound loads of steel sheets on bulkhead flatcars. Seems like when they are getting cars its quite a few show up all at once. They can unload a car or two at a time on that track that curves off of the yard. Cars will sit from the driveway up to where the track enters the building. It's been years and years since I've seen anything actually alongside the building. It looks like there is an empty bulkhead flat on the view at Google maps sitting in the yard that I presume was for them.

The current PPG/PGW plant was built as a Rubbermaid plant in the 1960s. They used rail for inbound plastic pellets until sometime in the early 1980s I think.

H776 mostly works the Glatfelter mill. They switch the NS-CSX interchange and take that into the plant. I'm under the impression there's nothing outbound from the mill anymore. After that they will pull and spot ADM for CSX trains. Then whatever Barber gets plus Hanson/Basic occasionally gets a load of something in a pressured cov hopper they load over by Barber. Scott Trucking bought the old Mead Warehouses out at Schooleys east of town on the old B&O main. They mostly would get inbound loads of scrap paper in boxcars. The scrap paper would be stored in the old warehouses there until Glatfelter needed it. They had a couple fires the past several years and I think they haven't gotten anything since the last fire in 2014.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

midland sub wrote:Actually NS has trackage rights over the old B&O to access ADM. Usually it's L55 that pulls and spots the grain trains. NS derailed a few years ago over in front of the CSX office on Douglas Ave, I believe CSX won't let NS use six axles any longer to access ADM. There's no rhyme or reason why ADM uses one or other for the grain traffic. NS had most of it back in 2014, but I believe it's back to being split between the two pretty equally.
I've worked back in there on the L53 before. We come in up by the "Chillicothe" signal. I haven't been back in there in a couple years so I don't know if anything has changed. And yes, no six axles back there, around the curve atleast, way to sharp.

midland sub wrote:Barber Spring still uses rail. It's real hit or miss most of the time. They get inbound loads of steel sheets on bulkhead flatcars. Seems like when they are getting cars its quite a few show up all at once. They can unload a car or two at a time on that track that curves off of the yard. Cars will sit from the driveway up to where the track enters the building. It's been years and years since I've seen anything actually alongside the building. It looks like there is an empty bulkhead flat on the view at Google maps sitting in the yard that I presume was for them.
Their name implies they make springs? I find it odd that they would get sheet steel. Any idea what they produce?

midland sub wrote:The current PPG/PGW plant was built as a Rubbermaid plant in the 1960s. They used rail for inbound plastic pellets until sometime in the early 1980s I think.
Hmm.

midland sub wrote:H776 mostly works the Glatfelter mill. They switch the NS-CSX interchange and take that into the plant. I'm under the impression there's nothing outbound from the mill anymore. After that they will pull and spot ADM for CSX trains. Then whatever Barber gets plus Hanson/Basic occasionally gets a load of something in a pressured cov hopper they load over by Barber. Scott Trucking bought the old Mead Warehouses out at Schooleys east of town on the old B&O main. They mostly would get inbound loads of scrap paper in boxcars. The scrap paper would be stored in the old warehouses there until Glatfelter needed it. They had a couple fires the past several years and I think they haven't gotten anything since the last fire in 2014.
Hanson/Basic? So CSX does a very minute amount of transload?

I know for the most part, any cars we get back from them on the interchange are empty. I don't believe I've ever seen loads come back but, I only work the L53 sporadically (which is generally who does the work).

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Barber makes large heavy duty industrial springs. Back ten years ago or more you occasionally would see a boxcar spotted alongside the building.

Not really sure on the Hanson/Basic traffic other than it's not very often. They used to do the same up at Circleville on the track into DuPont and in Wash CH. Both of those ended around 2000 or so. I don't think they ever used the Transflo over at the old car shop before CSX closed it in 2008.

Scrap place over off Eastern Ave was close to using rail again a few years ago, but it never actually happened. CSX was supposedly close to leasing whats left of the Chillicothe operations to Respondek right before the Ohio South Central took over the Jackson lines. Respondek was also going to take over as the plant switcher at the mill.For whatever reason the deal fell apart.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

midland sub wrote:Barber makes large heavy duty industrial springs. Back ten years ago or more you occasionally would see a boxcar spotted alongside the building.

Not really sure on the Hanson/Basic traffic other than it's not very often. They used to do the same up at Circleville on the track into DuPont and in Wash CH. Both of those ended around 2000 or so. I don't think they ever used the Transflo over at the old car shop before CSX closed it in 2008.

Scrap place over off Eastern Ave was close to using rail again a few years ago, but it never actually happened. CSX was supposedly close to leasing whats left of the Chillicothe operations to Respondek right before the Ohio South Central took over the Jackson lines. Respondek was also going to take over as the plant switcher at the mill.For whatever reason the deal fell apart.
Thanks for the info on Barber Spring.

Honestly, I'm surprised CSX still hosts a local out of there. They must make enough coin off the paper mill to warrant it.

On the note of Respondek, how's the OSC doin? I haven't read any updates on here in a while nor I have I been up towards Jackson.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Really makes you wonder why they keep it. Six or so years ago when they were still getting inbound pulpwood the traffic was a lot better for the mill. I'm never in Chillicothe hardly anymore, but what I've seen or other people have taken pics of recently they never have more than 10 cars at a time on the local.

Haven't really heard much about them lately. Seems to be about the same traffic as when they took over from US Rail. There was supposed to be some sort of transload going in at Jackson at the old Meridan property. There might be some inbound traffic for a new power plant of some sort over by Dundas.