Looking to film in Toledo after dark?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Looking to film in Toledo after dark?

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

It's been a few years since I've been to Toledo. Are there any spots with enough light to shoot train video at night? Did they remove the streetlights when they closed the crossings near Vickers?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Looking to film in Toledo after dark?

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yes, street lights are gone at Vickers and the auto shop has some building lights. If I was a betting man I'd say Millbury was a good spot to the East or Swanton to the West.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I also vouch for Swanton. Downtown city lights provide good low light shots. Swanton cops are railfan friendly. They may approach you, but they were totally cool about me railfanning there.

Swanton also gets great high speed action and you can see 3-5
Miles down to the east and west.

Best spot to setup is EAST of the laundromat, but WEST of the police station. You will find a nice open gravel lot that butts right up to the tracks.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I can't think of any place in Milbury that is both public parking and lit at night. On the other hand, I'd agree that Swanton would be a good choice. Farther west, Wauseon would work too, with public lots on both sides of the track that are well lit at night.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Swanton is farther out than I was planning on, but sounds like the best bet. Thanks. :)

Do they still use 160.800 along that stretch? I can't find my notes, but seem to remember that they switched to a different frequency east of Toledo a few years back?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

MSchwiebert wrote:I can't think of any place in Milbury that is both public parking and lit at night. On the other hand, I'd agree that Swanton would be a good choice. Farther west, Wauseon would work too, with public lots on both sides of the track that are well lit at night.
The crossing on Cherry Street is well lit, right next to the EB signal bridge.

Yes Dan, 160.800 for Toledo West.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Dan Cluley wrote:Swanton is farther out than I was planning on, but sounds like the best bet. Thanks. :)

Do they still use 160.800 along that stretch? I can't find my notes, but seem to remember that they switched to a different frequency east of Toledo a few years back?
Yes, road is 160.800. However, also use 161.070 to hear Toledo Yard. You will hear the dispatcher chatting with trains getting through Airline and downtown, so you can sometimes hear trains that are near CP288. This gives you even better warning of trains coming even before they switch to 160.800.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks again. I went down and checked things out last Saturday.

The new arrangement at Vickers looks like it will yield some nice shots in the Summer when it is warm enough to be out of the car for more than 30 seconds. ;) but definitely not a good night spot anymore.

The grade crossing East of I-280 is pretty well lit, but there doesn't seem to be any good parking.

The main street crossings in both Swanton & Wauseon worked quite well.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

160.980 for Toledo East from Vickers to Berea