NS on the CF&E Updated

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

NS on the CF&E Updated

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I've been paying quite a bit of attention to the traffic on the CF&E west of Colsan, and found modern operations quite interesting. On the 23rd for instance we had 66X, 66N? (couldn't get a truly positive ID), and 10E. 10E was obviously a combination 10E/10R (as 10R has run as that symbol in the last few weeks). The head-end cut was obviously BNSF relay freight with the back half chemicals and fertilizer off the UP from North Little Rock. How do they combine these cuts? Fort Wayne? East of Colsan things look pretty good as the 4 still run (169, 15V, 170, 12V) and I also noticed NS has some coal traffic still running.

I'm estimating NS runs a solid 3-4 per 24 hours west of Colsan. There are a lot of one-hit wonders but the total number seems to stay the same.
Brett

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS on the CF&E Updated

Unread post by JoJames »

Sounds like you better enjoy this while it last. Lots of changes and layoffs coming to NS soon and this route will be eliminated from Fort Wayne east.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

I'm honestly shocked the traffic is there now, or ever was. Do you know if they will keep operating the 4 trains west of Alliance? Other than work in Mansfield, I don't see why these couldn't operate via Vermilion and GC connection.
Brett

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Not sure on those four trains. We will have to see what happens in the next few weeks.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Should have another 66X traversing the territory under cover of darkness tonight.

About a month ago there was a 22D/25M combo that was nothing but Maersk containers. Supposedly Harrisburg-Rickenbacker via Bucyrus. I saw 22D in Marion once and according to ATCS it came around the connection at Colsan.