NS Intermodals becoming inconsistent, even hot ones.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

NS Intermodals becoming inconsistent, even hot ones.

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I'm catching 20K, 21Z, 205, 206, 20E, 24M all different times near South Bend. One day a 24M will be by S.B by around 1030am, sometimes 9am, sometimes 1pm. Anybody else noticing these trends in some of NS's usually on-time high priority trains?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS Intermodals becoming inconsistent, even hot ones.

Unread post by AARR »

I read in Trains Magazine that overall Class 1 railroad service performance is down. Even the high-priority trains are behind schedule. I'd only guess why it's happening because overall traffic levels are considered slightly down so mainlines in theory should be more fluid.
Tier4GEVO wrote:I'm catching 20K, 21Z, 205, 206, 20E, 24M all different times near South Bend. One day a 24M will be by S.B by around 1030am, sometimes 9am, sometimes 1pm. Anybody else noticing these trends in some of NS's usually on-time high priority trains?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You can only cut so much before it begins to show up in operations...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Remember the CSX motto..."How Tomorrow Moves." Add the caveat..."Cause it ain't goin nowhere today."
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Saturnalia wrote:You can only cut so much before it begins to show up in operations...
NS hasn't cut though, that's why CP sees them as the best takeover option. Also why their operating ratio went up, not down, despite decreased traffic. CP will Quickly cut the fat, and reap the rewards.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Tier4GEVO wrote:I'm catching 20K, 21Z, 205, 206, 20E, 24M all different times near South Bend. One day a 24M will be by S.B by around 1030am, sometimes 9am, sometimes 1pm. Anybody else noticing these trends in some of NS's usually on-time high priority trains?
Tough to jump to any conclusions from such a vague observation. In 2014 I saw 20E 36 times at the same location. There were 2 times it was 3.5+ hours later than the "normal" time and 1 time over an hour earlier. The other 33 times there was only a deviation of 33 minutes among all the passing times. That's about as good as you can get.

Had I only seen 20E three times, and saw it at 12:30, 2:00, and 4:15, I would think dang, that's inconsistent. But when the sample size gets larger and larger, i.e. my example, you see how it works.
Brett

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with you that you can't get any reasonable data from a small sample size. However, both freight and long-distance Amtrak trains on time performance has dropped the last year or so. To the point where some of the business they gained from trucks is now returning to trucks or switching railroads. It's an issue among all railroads although CN and CP seem to "not be as bad" as the American Class 1's.

Unfortunately, the American Class 1's first action was to make financial moves to maintain their financial positions rather than address the cause of the service issues. I'm sure in time they'll do so but in them meantime they have a lot of unhappy customers and that is never a good thing.

If you get Trains Mag read Fred Frailey's October or November column about the matter. He says it far better than I can.
bdconrail29 wrote:Tough to jump to any conclusions from such a vague observation. In 2014 I saw 20E 36 times at the same location. There were 2 times it was 3.5+ hours later than the "normal" time and 1 time over an hour earlier. The other 33 times there was only a deviation of 33 minutes among all the passing times. That's about as good as you can get.

Had I only seen 20E three times, and saw it at 12:30, 2:00, and 4:15, I would think dang, that's inconsistent. But when the sample size gets larger and larger, i.e. my example, you see how it works.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...