Traffic on the C&O in Fostoria?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Traffic on the C&O in Fostoria?

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

For future reference, what is the approximate train count on the C&O in Fostoria? I was there last month and the only trains seen on the line over the course of our 2 day visit were 5 which all came off or went onto the B&O. Exactly how many through trains operate on the line and what are the best times to see them?

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traffic on the C&O in Fostoria?

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Well most of trains on the C&O are north of fostoria. LIke the Auto rack trains head north towards toledo and detroit. Like Q241 that goes through fostoria late morning to early afternoon. And Q243 is right behind him.the C&O only has 25-30 trains a day most turn to go north or west or east on B&O. I have never seen a train that goes south or turns to go south. I been to fostoria multiple times. I have seen a local go south at fostoria but that's pretty much about it. I recommend that you go up to a crossing north of fostoria. if you want to railfan that C&O. Go to the railfan park in fostoria it has everything, Norfolk Southern and the two CSX lines

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Q636 and Q637 would be the Toledo to Columbus freight trains if they still run. Q634 and Q635 would be the Columbus to Willard trains using the southeast transfer along with Q348 and Q349 Willard to Indianapolis. There also is coal iron ore stone ethanol grain fertilizer and oil trains operating south of Fostoria that can show up at anytime. Q135 and Q136 use the southwest transfer to get from a North Baltimore and Norfolk Virginia.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:Well most of trains on the C&O are north of fostoria. LIke the Auto rack trains head north towards toledo and detroit. Like Q241 that goes through fostoria late morning to early afternoon. And Q243 is right behind him.the C&O only has 25-30 trains a day most turn to go north or west or east on B&O. I have never seen a train that goes south or turns to go south. I been to fostoria multiple times. I have seen a local go south at fostoria but that's pretty much about it. I recommend that you go up to a crossing north of fostoria. if you want to railfan that C&O. Go to the railfan park in fostoria it has everything, Norfolk Southern and the two CSX lines
I went to the park in Fostoria, that's what inspired my question. My time there only yielded 5 trains onto or off of the C&O. 25-30 trains seems kind of high given my experience and if that's the case, how many trains does NS run through town? I thought they sent around 30 a day? I know when I was there, trains typically showed up in bunches on NS; maybe it's about 40?

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

JoJames wrote:Q636 and Q637 would be the Toledo to Columbus freight trains if they still run. Q634 and Q635 would be the Columbus to Willard trains using the southeast transfer along with Q348 and Q349 Willard to Indianapolis. There also is coal iron ore stone ethanol grain fertilizer and oil trains operating south of Fostoria that can show up at anytime. Q135 and Q136 use the southwest transfer to get from a North Baltimore and Norfolk Virginia.
When do the trains that run between Columbus and Toledo typically appear? Do those unit trains only operate on the C&O or do they transfer to the B&O? I know of the grain trains but what about the others?

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

45-50 NS trains a day go through Fostoria

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

CSXBOY wrote:45-50 NS trains a day go through Fostoria
More like 30 on a really good day.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

StupidFlee​t wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:45-50 NS trains a day go through Fostoria
More like 30 on a really good day.
Cut the 45-50 in half and you would be very close to a average NS day at Fostoria.

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrailfan1999 »

For the NS fostoria district the most would see is around, One should expect a 24 hour count to be in the mid 20s with a lot of traffic after dark. As for the C&O, north of Fostoria the count is between 30 and 35 every 24 hours with only around 6-8 crossing the diamonds in fostoria, theses trains being Q636, Q637, L131 and L132 (as needed on weekends) and the rest being coal trains to and from the Toledo docks and grain trains as well. South of Fostoria as mentioned above only has 8 Q trains but there is also lots of coal, grain, and stone traffic, making 24 hour count anywhere between 12-16 trains.0

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Also have Q710 and Q711 the garbage trains that use southeast transfer.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Alright, thanks for the info! I saw the northbound trash train during my visit, I'm guessing that's Q711?

The other C&O trains I saw include an eastbound coal train (which turned south), a southbound empty gondola train (which turned west), 3 eastbounds (an autorack, an intermodal, and a pipe train), all of which turned north and IIRC a northbound grain train which turned west. There was also a local that peeked through on the southwest transfer before reversing back to the yard so total, over the course of 2 days that's 8 movements on the C&O.

It's interesting how traffic on the line is much heavier north and south of Fostoria than it is through it. I was dying to see a through train come north or south! Maybe next time... but based on what I was told when there, those 2 trains come through at or before dawn.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

During the meet we saw a run-thru SB stone train. Was awesome watching it pound both the NKP and BO diamonds at speed 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Count in another new NS on the Fostoria District for now. NS 308, from a CN connection at Calumet Yard to Bellevue. This according to a post on trainorders.