Rail Yards visible from the Toll Road

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Rail Yards visible from the Toll Road

Unread post by Notch 8 »

What are the two yards that are visible from the toll road ? are both of them CSX ? What other roads service Toledo other than CSX and NS and does anyone have a map of this area ? Does anything exist of the Detroit & Toledo Shoreline ?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Rail Yards visible from the Toll Road

Unread post by AARR »

The D&TS, Lang Yard, remains in place and heavily used although mostly for staging coal loads for DTE and not quite so much for general merchandise.

AA is in Toledo and operates Ottawa Yard, ex-NS River Front Industrial and Libbey Industrial, and former DT&I Temperance Yard. The also switch three vehicle ramps for Jeep, Chrysler (ex-Ford) and GM.

W&LE has trackage rights into CN's Lang Yard and AA's Ottawa Yard.

Hopefully someone who can post maps can do so and show what I'm trying to explain :)
Notch 8 wrote:What are the two yards that are visible from the toll road ? are both of them CSX ? What other roads service Toledo other than CSX and NS and does anyone have a map of this area ? Does anything exist of the Detroit & Toledo Shoreline ?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

From West to East, first is Stanley yard, followed by Walbridge yard. Today both are CSX properties, with Stanley coming over in the Conrail Spllit. In olden terms, Stanley is of NYC (Toledo & Ohio Central) heritage, while Walbridge is C&O (Hocking Valley).
In current operations, Stanley is the primary Toledo Classification yard for CSX, while Walbridge is primarily used for auto related (hence the large number of auto racks present) and some coal train staging. (Some flat switching is done there as well). While Stanley has the advantage of having an active hump (The hump at Walbridge was retired during the Chessie era) it's been stub ended with access only from the north since early in the Conrail era when the "eastern" was abandoned. A decade or so ago, CSX proposed building a track from the C&O to the south end of the yard (roughly along the turnpike) but was met by fierce opposition. Reconfiguring of the former Toledo Terminal between Stanley and Walbridge and changing traffic patterns have alleviated the need for the connector.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

The Stanley Yard is the most visible to the Ohio Turnpike in my opinion. It has a two mile segment (stub-ended) that runs south towards Stony Ridge for trains to back up onto. Beyond Stony Ridge the tracks end and become abandoned ROW.