Fostoria Experts and Scanner Experts, help!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Fostoria Experts and Scanner Experts, help!

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I'm new to the scanner world, and have no idea what to program in for Fostoria this saturday. From what I remember, I hear its heard to hear them call signals, as many people don't hear the actual train symbol.

1. What frequencies for everything in Fostoria? I just want to hear each of the 3 lines to call their signals (example CSX Q010 clear blahblahblah milepost over)
2. What milepost numbers should I know about? And what milepost is Fostoria actually so I can do basic subtraction to figure how many miles away the train is?
3. I like the rail park, but there is that annoying black fence. Is there a legal way to get close to the F Tower without getting a fence in your pictures?
4. Is track 1 for the B&O closer to the old Amtrak depot or the farther track?

Thanks.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fostoria Experts and Scanner Experts, help!

Unread post by ssnk79 »

1 CSX mains is ARR channel 8, IP Dist. is on 94. NS is 76.
2 Frostoria is MP 36 on the B&O side and 88 on the C&O side
3 No, not that I know of,
4 #1 main is the north track, farther than depot, and East track on the C&O side
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

being they don't call MP on the csx side, Godsend is to the west, East frostoria, Pig pen is to the east, East and West end frostoria (North yard) is to the north (West) and East and West end B&O center siding, Loudon to the south (East)
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Tier4GEVO wrote: for Fostoria this saturday.
You are arriving in Fostoria a week too early. Our Fall meet is on Saturday 9/12. viewtopic.php?t=32319
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Easy way to remember track numbers at Fostoria for mains
The track that lays the closest to F tower is track one for all three railroads.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

There is no legal way to get any closer to F tower without trespassing. Columbus Ave is about your best bet. The Amtrash station is next to the B&O/CSX and the NKP?NS is across the small parking lot. As mentioned above most crews call signals by nick names not mileposts. There are several HotBox detectors in the area that help out as well. The reason you may not hear a train calling a signal is that there is so much radio chatter in the area with 3 very active mains and other yards and locations nearby is your scanner will often be on the wrong channel listening to another conversation while the signal is called. Even old pro's can miss trains coming into the diamonds in that location. Also often times NS trains will be stacked up waiting to get through and will proceed on signal indication after being stopped and may not call the signal out at all.

The flat lands of Ohio play weird tricks with radio communications as well so sometimes you may be in Fo-town and hear yard chatter from Toledo(Wally-world) or Williard(willy-yard) or even Bellevue and swear that they are local.

I have been there with a portable ATCS rig before and could see all the signals and still get surprised by a train seeming to come from nowhere.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"