Next Toledo Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Next Toledo Question

Unread post by chapmaja »

Ok, now that we got the question about the tracks south of Stanley out of the way, what about west of Stanley.

There appears to be some sort of old complex west of Stanley with tracks in some state of disrepair or another. What is this complex and when was the last time anything there got rail service. It is hard to tell if this is even still connected to the mainline, but my guess is no because it appears the lead track is severed from the mainline.

To me this looks like a good area for a warehousing facility and possible transload facility.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Next Toledo Question

Unread post by JoJames »

Rossford Ordinance Depot from the World War Two era. At one time it had 3 railroads with direct access. The New York Central, Toledo Terminal and Chesapeake and Ohio. Early ConRail days had a dedicated yard job out of Stankey to work the facility.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

chapmaja wrote:To me this looks like a good area for a warehousing facility and possible transload facility.
It very much is still in use as a warehousing facility - though these days it's all truck business. sigh.

http://www.ampoint.com/index.html
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Since we are on the topic, an inquiring modeler wants to know, how did NYC serve the plant along with the Toledo Terminal? Was it always boxed traffic or whatever was needed to be disposed of?

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

chapmaja wrote: There appears to be some sort of old complex west of Stanley with tracks in some state of disrepair or another. What is this complex and when was the last time anything there got rail service. It is hard to tell if this is even still connected to the mainline, but my guess is no because it appears the lead track is severed from the mainline.

To me this looks like a good area for a warehousing facility and possible transload facility.
I remember seeing rail cars in there about 5-8 years ago, just covered hoppers to the plant at the south end of the complex. the main line switch on the branch side has been torn out.

the Toledo Terminal end been torn out for years, I don't know when thou.
TrainWatcher wrote:Since we are on the topic, an inquiring modeler wants to know, how did NYC serve the plant along with the Toledo Terminal? Was it always boxed traffic or whatever was needed to be disposed of?
One end of the complex was connected to the NYC Toledo Branch and the north end was connected to the Toledo Terminal, looking at the buildings back there I would say it was mostly box car traffic, but there is some ramps out in the open which I would think loading and unloading of flat cars
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

If you look at google maps you can still see the right away where the C&O got access. Line crossed the NYC just to the south of wye tracks and north of Walbridge road.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Last customers I remember in there were both on the east side of the facility, Ohio & Michigan paper and Hunt Wesson foods. Hunt-Wesson is closed and as mentioned in previous posts, there is no longer rail access to the grounds.
As for access, the NYC access was via the Toledo Branch at the south end (one can see remnants from the 795 overpass) and the Toledo Terminal was from the north end. That access was severed for good when the Oregon road overpass went in.
As for the original purpose of the facility, it was to serve as a receiving/storage facility for military vehicles and equipment. Hence the need for the ramp near the Owens College campus for vehicle loading and unloading. The military vacated in the early/mid 1960s and the buildings were picked up by Willis-Day for warehousing. (The admin building was repurposed as Penta county vocational school).