Toledo Track Map

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Toledo Track Map

Unread post by chapmaja »

Ok, I have a question about the trackage in the Toledo area.

According to the Ann Arbor Railroad WATCO page there is a line south from Stanley that belongs to the I&O (based on the color of the line on the map).

Is this an error, or does the I&O have a line up to Stanley. I thought there was a track south out of Stanley that was seldom if ever used. Is this the line in question and does the I&O own or have trackage rights on it?

Here is a link to the map

http://www.watcocompanies.com/wp-conten ... /AA_OL.pdf

It's at the very bottom of the map.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Toledo Track Map

Unread post by railohio »

That would be incorrect.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

chapmaja wrote:Is this an error, or does the I&O have a line up to Stanley. I thought there was a track south out of Stanley that was seldom if ever used. Is this the line in question and does the I&O own or have trackage rights on it?
That's a Watco Whoops! The track out the south end of Stanley is the former T&OC to Fostoria, which is long gone but still in use south of the yard as a runner to back trains into the receiving yard. All owned by CSX of course.

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

It actually does run as far as Stony Ridge but the crossing on 20 was finally cut last year after being exempt for many years
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

SousaKerry wrote:It actually does run as far as Stony Ridge but the crossing on 20 was finally cut last year after being exempt for many years
At one time wasn't there a individual who operated the track across Rt 20?

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

They just Rebuilt that crossing at route 20 last week, and reinstalled the flashers. I believe Jacob Logistics owns the tracks through there
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

For a while there was talk of building a connection between the old T&OC runner south of Stanley and the C&O south of Walbridge for greater flexibility at Stanley.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GlassCityPhotos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GlassCityPhotos »

ssnk79 wrote:They just Rebuilt that crossing at route 20 last week, and reinstalled the flashers. I believe Jacob Logistics owns the tracks through there
Has anyone been on Route 20 through Stony Ridge since the crossing was rebuilt in June? I'm wondering if there has been any work done to the track approaching either side of 20.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Went through Stony Ridge this morning, the tracks south of 20 have been cleared of weeds/shrubs/brush. On the north side, it looks like they could run through there if they had to, but there's still a section of heavy growth between where CSX stops when they pull down the runner and the 20 crossing though.
Apparently there was originally a stock yard south of 20 as that's the name of the street that gets back to the location.

GlassCityPhotos wrote:
ssnk79 wrote:They just Rebuilt that crossing at route 20 last week, and reinstalled the flashers. I believe Jacob Logistics owns the tracks through there
Has anyone been on Route 20 through Stony Ridge since the crossing was rebuilt in June? I'm wondering if there has been any work done to the track approaching either side of 20.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Have the ties blocking rail traffic into Stony Ridge been removed as seen in this photo from 2011?

On a side note, does using ties in this manner really act as an effective bumper?

http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/sit ... o251/1.jpg

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Here's meeting minutes describing the future of rail traffic at Stony Ridge. It sounds like it will become pretty busy.

http://www.troytownship.org/PDF/minutes ... ,_2015.pdf

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

What's the intentions of Mr. Jacobs and his railroad?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

If I were to guess, it'd be bulk unloading of some sort - there hasn't been any new building going on south of 20 as of last week, and there is a rudementary unloading set up for covered hoppers back there. Perhaps Jacobs can no longer unload/store salt on the portion of Stanley yard where it's been done the last few years?
Also, at one time Jacobs owned the former engine house - but has since sold it to The Andersons railcar division (who has turned it into their second car repair shop in town) perhaps the Stony Ridge thing is a replacement for that facility as there isn't any more space on that of the Stanley yard property.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, Ties have been removed. I doubt however that anything has been across US20 yet though. Also, Crossing is still marked as "exempt".

bluestreak81 wrote:Have the ties blocking rail traffic into Stony Ridge been removed as seen in this photo from 2011?

On a side note, does using ties in this manner really act as an effective bumper?

http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/sit ... o251/1.jpg

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

In the "for what it's worth department" there was a backhoe and some other equipment near the crossing in Stony Ridge today. Some old ties have been replaced as well. Still no evidence of any rail cars being shoved past the current active track north of town though.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Would it be possible for someone near Stony Ridge to post a picture of the new crossing and any other updates?

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

If CSX ever decides to connect the "stub end" to the mainline, Jacobs is in the catbird seat. Currently there are a handful of properties between the "stub end" and CSX main. Some if not all of the properties have changed ownership since the local opposition back in 2000?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I don't see the proposal to connect the C&O to the T&OC Eastern Runner being revived. The track configuration changes at the north end of the yard have largely eliminated the need that was driving the proposal initially.
redcrumbox wrote:If CSX ever decides to connect the "stub end" to the mainline, Jacobs is in the catbird seat. Currently there are a handful of properties between the "stub end" and CSX main. Some if not all of the properties have changed ownership since the local opposition back in 2000?