NS increases traffic on former Nickel Plate line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: NS increases traffic on former Nickel Plate line

Unread post by redside20 »

bluestreak81 wrote:Redside20: What are the Facebook groups called? I would love to see the photos of the line.
Well there is the Ohio Valley Railgang formerly known as the Ohio Railroader after Giles changed it to distance himself from the other Ohio Railroader Page which sees a few posts a week. The place where activity is frequent is the Buckeye Rails page. Other pages where you can check up for activity on the Cleveland and Lake Erie Districts is the Painesville Railfan and NS Lake Erie District fb pages.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Caught this NS eastbound coal train in Bay Village between Crocker Rd and Cahoon Rd taking a rest. As the two boys walked closer to the idling locomotive it blasted its horn and the boys ran away. Found it odd that this train was sitting idle on the main track instead of the run-around siding just a quarter of a mile east of this location.
Attachments
image.jpg

redside20

I had no idea this ever took place, but the siding at Shinrock was extended one mile west right where the tracks go over Mason Road just east of the Huron River. Originally a 6000 foot siding with some holdout tracks and a connection to the Huron Branch. Things have gotten so busy on the Cleveland District that officials at NS were considering double tracking to Avery but has been put on hold due to the costs of double tracking the bridge over the Huron River at Avery. They may turn this stretch into double track eventually between the two points but that remains to be seen. Avery and Shinrock were both 6000 feet sidings and were the only sidings between Bellevue and Vermilion. This is from the October edition of Railfan and Railroad.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

How recent were the sidings extended? The NKP along the lakeshore communities used to all be double-track until the early 90s.

redside20

bluestreak81 wrote:How recent were the sidings extended? The NKP along the lakeshore communities used to all be double-track until the early 90s.
The article stated the work was just wrapping up in August...Yes It was double track from KM near Vermilion all the way out to Euclid maybe Willoughby. The double track from KM to French Creek (Sheffield) must've been taken out in the late 70s/early 80's...The bridge over the Black River had gauntlet tracks

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Tier4GEVO wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Has the train traffic remained high on this line?
Not apparent to me. I was at Vermilion Saturday June 20 from 7am to 4pm and out of the 36 I had, only one was straight NKP.
What time do 20R, 20Q, 206, 24Z, and 22K come through the Chicago Line? I only saw 24M and 20E, and please do a trip-reports of your Vermillion, I always read your trip reports, they help me out :)
Overnight to early morning.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

I have no problem with it. I live in Springfield Township/Village of Holland (Suburban Toledo), and it's a great spot for railfanners that I know. I don't know why people have a problem with it. You can see the line from my neighborhood Kallagar Park. Unless you live very close then I see what your're saying.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

I think it's safe to assume the increased rail traffic has returned back to normal traffic. There has been a string of cars stored on the (loop) siding in Bay Village for over a month. Typically the siding is kept clear so trains can pass each other when there's an increase in traffic.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

alittlevanwerty wrote:Waaaahhhh I can't sleep cause of the noise. I live by the tracks, horns don't wake me even when I want them too!

I have no problem with it. I live near it in Springfield Township/Holland area less than a mile from the tracks. When I'm sleeping I don't get woken up. Also, the high school I attend is at the tracks.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:
I have no problem with it. I live near it in Springfield Township/Holland area less than a mile from the tracks. When I'm sleeping I don't get woken up. Also, the high school I attend is at the tracks.
How's the new underpass coming along at McCord?

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

alittlevanwerty wrote:Waaaahhhh I can't sleep cause of the noise. I live by the tracks, horns don't wake me even when I want them too!

I live near the line, and at night I'm not woken up. I live in Springfield Township/Holland, and my school is right there. I don't see the problem.

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Bellevue_Guy wrote:
Joshua Niederkohr wrote:
How's the new underpass coming along at McCord?

They've got the roundabout, the temporary extension of Holland Park Blvd done, the temporary tracks, and they done some other work too. Eventually it will be done, and my school bus can take McCord road again.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I filmed a train today with 12 or 13 lights on it can't remmember but it was in lucasville Ohio on the NS mainline and it had an engine that was black with yellow stripes that said nickel plate road.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know the current average daily train count on the Cleveland NKP?