NS increases traffic on former Nickel Plate line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

NS increases traffic on former Nickel Plate line

Unread post by railohio »

Norfolk Southern has tripled the number of trains that run daily from Vermillion to Cleveland

Norfolk Southern has tripled the number of trains it runs from Vermillion to Cleveland, which makes some Lakewood residents especially upset.
“It's so noisy you can't even think right,” said Jeff Bellony, a Lakewood resident.
Source: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news ... -cleveland
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS increases traffic on former Nickel Plate line

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Waaaahhhh I can't sleep cause of the noise. I live by the tracks, horns don't wake me even when I want them too!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

There is certainly an inverse relationship between railfans and the public at large when it comes to more or less trains...if one side is cheering, the other is whining
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I lived near the CSX Williard sub when the Conrail split went through and watched 20 trains a day go to 50 or so. People in town b!tched for a year or two then they got used to it.

Don't like noisy trains don't buy a house next to the tracks, same thing applies to airports and hog farms
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

OMG the amount of trains TRIPLED!

...from two per day all the way up to SIX.

Oh the humanity!

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Bellevue_Guy wrote:OMG the amount of trains TRIPLED!

Oh the humanity!
Just curious, but where is it stated that the amount of trains has increased from two per day to six per day? What is the reason for the increase? I know the coal power plant in Avon Lake is set to close, therefore reducing the coal train traffic. I'm wondering what the trains are hauling. I think this is good news as a railfan. I grew up in a suburb along these tracks and have also noticed the passing loop siding in Bay Village along I-90 has had recent usage. There was an agreement with the western suburbs of Cleveland and Norfolk Southern in 1998 which caps the amount of traffic at no more than 13.9 trains per day or NS must pay a fine.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Why don't they go call the Whaaaaaaambulance...my goodness six whole trains each way..A little less than what the Dayton District sees

I'm wondering what the trains are hauling. I think this is good news as a railfan. I grew up in a suburb along these tracks and have also noticed the passing loop siding in Bay Village along I-90 has had recent usage. There was an agreement with the western suburbs of Cleveland and Norfolk Southern in 1998 which caps the amount of traffic at no more than 13.9 trains per day or NS must pay a fine.

Could be anything, but I'm betting two of those trains could be those short new intermodal trains that are transporting intermodal/auto traffic in and out of Toledo what 205/206 couldn't transport on their train. Are you talking about the siding at Elmwood? You can thank Dennis Kucinich for that.
Exit stage left

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

6? that is just funny.. I mean 6? An average of a train every 4 hours ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nose! Honstly if they are crying about 6 trains a day they are just looking for something to complain about (how shocking with the way society is going...). Probably saw an easy way to get their name in the paper or get 30 seconds worth of interviewing on the local news station.. I mean come on, you can't think when there's 6 trains in a day?

And then when you get into the quotes it's just more stupid...
“When they go by, they blow it,” said Frank Corrado, a Lakewood resident. “They don't care.”
So because law mandates it and the engineer doesn't want to hit people they don't care? And of course when someone is hit by a train because they were walking along the tracks with headphones in it's going to be the big bad trains fault..

And of course they said the conductors honks the horn.. And of course the price of quite zones is expensive, but for 6 trains a day is a little crazy if you ask me. Why spend millions of dollars on such a low volume of trains? It's a lose lose of complaining if you as me..
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a story from WEWS Channel 5 that explains the increase is due to an increase in demand of goods transported by rail, a good sign that the economy is strengthening. Lakewood is looking into a quiet zone but it will cost them millions since they have 26 crossings in their city. Lakewood holds a world record for the most amount of crossings in any given distance (33 crossings within 2.5 miles)

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news ... -Cleveland

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

bluestreak81 wrote:
Just curious, but where is it stated that the amount of trains has increased from two per day to six per day?

In both the video and article on the channel 5 story linked in the first post of the thread

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Suggestion for those near the tracks, try noise mitigation by way of putting up godawful looking pine trees like my neighbors are doing.
I really don't understand the people that complain about noise near the tracks. You did move there, not like all of a sudden a railroad was built through your backyard. But then again I am a fan, so if 354 or 39E wakes me up in the night I'm not too bothered. On that note, my window is about 100 feet from the Michigan line. Even if I leave my window open, I have gotten used to the horn and it doesn't wake me, and if it does I fall back to sleep quickly. 2-6 trains, unless they are all nocturnal shouldn't be a bother.

On another side note, I wish reporters would sometimes make intelligent decisions in writing.
"When they go by, they blow it...They don't care" (referring to engineers blowing the horn) what does that add to the story at all as a quote? And they act like engineers blow the horn for fun.
And I really don't get why most reporters think that conductors are the ones who are physically running the train.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

A new article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer about the increase in train traffic. The mayor of Lakewood believes the increase could go from 6 to 14 trains per day. 14 is the maximum amount of trains that can pass thru these tracks per the 1998 agreement with NS and the western Cleveland suburbs.

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index ... ugh_l.html

I love the quote from a homeowner complaining about the noise increase who lives next to the tracks, "I heard it coming in the distance, and several minutes later, it passed my house."

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

"We high-five the conductor every chance we get," Drews said. "We are that close."
Lakewood must be producing some pretty tall kids if that is the case :lol:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

redside20

So 1999 was what, like 15-16 years ago and as the major Norfolk Southern mainline before the Conrail breakup saw 15-20 trains on a given day through Rocky River, Lakewood etc...These people act like trains never ran through the neighborhood, so they must have extreme short term/experienced memory loss or have selective memory in the last 16 years. The media sensationalism and over the top hysteria really has me laughing. Maybe that one guy needs to do another fun times in Cleveland tourism youtube video and highlight Lakewood in the segment...
Exit stage left

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I knew this story was going to come sooner or later. Not to take "their" side but something to think about (novel concept): I wonder just how many of those residents lived there 15-16 years ago or did they move since? I haven't lived in my house for 15 years. If so, living near a line with a sometimes-daily local to 6 or 8 or whatever trains a day is quite a switch. But I guess most of us would be creaming our jeans OOOOOOOOH TRAIN MAX FOAM not realizing Joe Schmo resident isn't a railfan and not used to a bunch of trains.

redside20

I wonder just how many of those residents lived there 15-16 years ago or did they move since? I haven't lived in my house for 15 years

I'm glad you brought that up because I failed to take that in account, but was thinking about that after what I wrote.
Exit stage left

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Defiance had maybe 15 trains a day when I started dating my wife, today it has 70. It can be a bit much. Thankfully only 6 road crossings in the city limits, sadly 3 of them are within a couple blocks of my house. They don't really bother me but sometimes I swear they are coming through the picture window and I live 3 blocks from the track.

Think about this, you live in a house on a 2 lane street, then they put an expressway in next to your house. It is about the same difference. I don't blame people for complaining. Nothing they can do about it but I don't blame the complaints. If nothing else, complaining makes you feel better.

AfroRon
Not a Running Blackman

Unread post by AfroRon »

I personally never cared about going though Lakewood. There are 33 crossings, your on the horn constantly and you always have a near miss or two. I know a few guys that have got people over the years.

I never understood the need for all the crossings, there are major routes a block north and south of the main. I always personally felt they should close most of them, leaving a few major routes to go north and south.

Making the whole thing a quiet zone is going to have a astromonical cost I suspect.

That said, Overall I preferred to run via the B-line the whole way though Cleveland, it was typically quicker then going Chicago/Cloggsville line.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

bluestreak81 wrote:

Oh the humanity!
no more than 13.9 trains per day or NS must pay a fine.
I hope the 0.9 train has cool power.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

AfroRon
Not a Running Blackman

Unread post by AfroRon »

GenXRailMedia wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:

Oh the humanity!
no more than 13.9 trains per day or NS must pay a fine.
I hope the 0.9 train has cool power.
I'm going to say the .9 is going to be the Rockport based local to switch a customer in Rocky River, hope you like GP38-3.
Last edited by AfroRon on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee