NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Dilly Dilly Northstar Dilly Dilly. Well said!

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Heypal I just laughed my ass off on the Dilly Dilly. I learned a long time ago don't throw stones as you never know what you throw may come back and hurt you later. No railroad is for certain as they can be bought out at any time or just move on. No business is safe in this world today. Every day in the Wall Street big companies are merging or being bought out. Same for railroads as the big guys take over the little guys.

One never knows where the Peavine is headed as NS dumped it years ago and the CCET may just call it quits at anytime. Really there isn't much on this line to service. If it wasn't for storage they would have packed it in two years ago. The I&O does well but if a big rail company comes in and offers big money for Rail company they would accept and move on.

From what I heard today down at Clare storage is slowing down. The CCET hasn't picked up many tankers in the last month or so and they maybe getting some other cars instead for storage. You never know about tankers as they can be in demand at anytime. The CCET has been doing some track work of late. Have seen the MOW truck down at Clare on an off, plus NS doing some track work as well. Guess the winter freeze and thaw plus all the snow and ice may have hurt some of the rails.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Northstar you maybe correct on this one. Rail storage traffic has slowed down on the CCET. I noticed Clare Yard has been the holding tank for storage cars (tankers) and there is very few in the yard the past few weeks. NS hasn't transloaded many tankers the last few months. This is bad news for the CCET has most of their business is storage. The CCET continues to do pretty good business with the Ag with grain but this isn't going to keep the boys very busy. Have noticed that NS is doing some rail work on the old Penn tracks of late and some rail work in the yard. Looks like a the current time Tuesday and Thursdays are the most active days in Clare. Hopefully things pick up as spring returns.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Did some fishing today down in the Little Miami River in the south 80. River was up some but fish were biting caught three carp and six cat fish. Nice six threw them back. Was checking out the rail yard on the way back. The west end I thought they were pulling up tracks but looks like either the CCET or NS was just clearing brush. Not sure really who owns that part of the track as the Wasson Way Project has part of it now.

Several tankers down at Clare Yard I guess waiting to go east or maybe the CET just retuned them. Heard the CET earlier in the day and NS has an engine in Clare Yard as well.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

The word I received this week is no more tankers can be stored east of Clare Yard where the siding is by the old steam plant. I have noticed the last several weeks tankers and freight cars have been sitting on the rails up by Clare but then never store anything down by the old steam plant. So I asked the NS engineer last week and he said there have been some complains about noise. The new builders are putting in homes and condos next to the siding and don't want cars stored there and have asked NS and the CCET to move the cars more to the west. The guys on the train got a kick out of it saying that if you live next to a golf course every now and then a ball is going to land on your home or in your yard. So this company is building high priced condo's next to the railroad tracks and they don't want to see tankers or hear any rail noises from our engines. I said don't see many tankers like I did in the winter stored on the tracks down here. The NS engineer said that the storage of tankers has slowed down in the last few months. The CCET has pushed many off their lines as they are now back in service. They still have several sitting on sidings but not as many as they did this past winter. He said coal cars are not in demand like they were years ago. Many short line rails in south east Kentucky are storing coal cars.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I came home from work last night around 11:15 put my car in the garage and heard a train horn blasting. Sounded like it was coming from Clare Yard. Maybe a NS bringing or taking some cars very unlikely that the CCET was running that late at night. Very unusual that NS was bringing cars that late at night. The latest I have ever seen them bring cars was like 9:30 p.m.

I off to Lexington KY this morning on a motorcycle weekend. Don't have time to take a look down at Clare. Maybe Northstar heard the horn last night, Check it out today when you walk the dog.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Hot off the Press:

Cincinnati East Terminal no longer exists. The legal corporate name CCET LLC has gone through some changes and is now doing business as Cincinnati Eastern Railroad. New website will be up and running in a few weeks. CCET LLC purchased 2 GE B36-7s that should be on property in the next few weeks - once on property, Frontier's power will likely be removed from service and possibly shipped off property, LOTS of growth opportunities for the new look company, both on and off this property. And while things happen at a sometimes agonizingly slow pace, exciting times lay ahead.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Those other units in any good shape?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Just got back from the lake going back next week but been on the CCET Facebook site and saw the latest information on the name change, new investors, re-branding of the company. Looks like good news plus some new development out east but not sure if that business will do anything for the rail company. With that new industrial park what I read in the CBC it appears that the council out there is after more business maybe adding to the tracks. I will write more later when I get settled in.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Back I guess Thursday the new line is still going down to Clare Yard so I will strike up a conversation to see what is going on. I did hear NS down at Clare today moving cars they did have a engine down there most of the week before I left for the late two months back. I will check this week see if the NS still has the engine down there.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

So I caught the former CETT crew down at McDonald last week and they are kind of in the dark about the new investors other than saying that it is business as usual. Tanker storage is still strong and the AG has been fairly busy. They have a new business out east that they are doing some business with and hope that maybe someone on the line will give them more business. Tanker business has been good and it is paying the bills and then some.

Some work is being done in the line this summer so they have enough revenue in the piggy bank to keep the line up and working. Several places up east have grass and weeds growing on along the tracks and they have been spraying as well to kill overgrowth.

AS far as the NS engine in the Clare Yard it isn't there everyday like it was in May and June. They do some switching down there a few days a week when tankers come in has been some coal cars down there as well but not as busy as it was in the spring at Clare. I guess Bultmatic still doing some business but hard to get back in that area as don't want any problems with Mariemont Police.

There are some ties along the old Penn line maybe NS going to do some work on the east to west line here soon.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Northstar good info. Haven't been keeping up with the new owners and the old CCET. Just what I read on the facebook page. I have been pretty busy at work. I was over in Newtown yesterday on a motorcycle ride noticed the tracks are very shinny so I take it they must be using the tracks. After this month I will have more free time. Glad that tanker traffic is going well thought for a while it may have slowed down.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

heypal6878 wrote:Northstar good info. Haven't been keeping up with the new owners and the old CCET. Just what I read on the facebook page. I have been pretty busy at work. I was over in Newtown yesterday on a motorcycle ride noticed the tracks are very shinny so I take it they must be using the tracks. After this month I will have more free time. Glad that tanker traffic is going well thought for a while it may have slowed down.
When you say tanker traffic, is that not simply just storage? Or do they have a new shipper who ships/received tank car loads?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

At one time it seems they had over a mile of tank cars in storage. I watched a video of them getting one out that was deep in the cut. I don't know if that's what is referred too or not, though.
TC Man wrote:
heypal6878 wrote:Northstar good info. Haven't been keeping up with the new owners and the old CCET. Just what I read on the facebook page. I have been pretty busy at work. I was over in Newtown yesterday on a motorcycle ride noticed the tracks are very shinny so I take it they must be using the tracks. After this month I will have more free time. Glad that tanker traffic is going well thought for a while it may have slowed down.
When you say tanker traffic, is that not simply just storage? Or do they have a new shipper who ships/received tank car loads?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry I should have said tanker storage. Most of the siding is used for tanker storage.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Noticed today and I must say it is very humid today and hot, the weeds are all over the tracks. Rail company needs to put down some weed killer here soon. Wow I just walked up the hill from Clare and is it hot. Going back to Michigan on Monday hope it is cooler up there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

85 and humid today :(
northstar16 wrote:Going back to Michigan on Monday hope it is cooler up there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:Noticed today and I must say it is very humid today and hot, the weeds are all over the tracks. Rail company needs to put down some weed killer here soon. Wow I just walked up the hill from Clare and is it hot. Going back to Michigan on Monday hope it is cooler up there.
Weed killer for a line that is basically just used as a parking lot for unneeded tank cars? If I owned the rail company, that's the last thing I'd invest in.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting you say that last week I saw the I&O putting down weed killed on tracks they rarely use in the yard some that looked like they couldn't even hold more than one empty tanker. CSX NS all use weed killer matter of fact NS used some down at Clare two weeks ago. Weed killer is cheap when bought in bulk. I'm sure they will get around to it pal.

Geno
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Geno »

Hello all, I just joined the site and glad to see interest in this NS route. It's sad to see the Peavine whither, I remember watching trains on this route as a kid. I haven't been down that way in a while. Any recent news on the east end? It is nice to know CCET is keeping the rails somewhat shiny on part of the route. Thanks, Geno.