NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Northstar send them over to me and I will try to post them. You have my email address. I will try to load them up.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I tried and tired to get these pictures loaded on the site tonight and they just won't load. So I posted them to facebook on the CCET site last night. I have them loaded on my computer but they just won't load in this site. Sorry Northstar!

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Maybe a glimmer of hope for the Peavine as far as a rail customer locating here...Could be for the Mount Orab area who knows...A monolithic refractories company looking to locate in the Southern ohio or Northern Kentucky area. This place could locate anywhere in Southern Ohio..Most likely along the active NS and CSX lines to the east..From Ironton to Lucasville on NS or Sciotoville, Minford, Teays, etc..for CSX....You also have to figure in the shortlines as well in the region..The TTI or Kenova Terminal across the river in Kentucky or the I&O, and the South Central Ohio Railroad here on the Ohio side..

http://www.aist.org/news/steel-news/201 ... efractorie
Exit stage left

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

It would be nice to see this company buy property along the Peavine and operate there maybe needing rail transportation. They have plenty of railroads to choose from. Does a short line rail company like the CET charge less to haul freight? If so that might be a plus for a company to consider. Another point would be what kind of tax incentives would be in offered to a company to develop along the Peavine?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Pretty chilly day down at Clare this afternoon. Noticed more tankers in the yard must have shipped them over this week. Have one engine moving them around in the yard today guess the CET will be coming to pick them up on Monday. Continues to look like the main focus for the CET is going to be tanker and car storage for the rest of the summer.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

My buddy and I were down at the tracks today along the steam plant in Mariemont. The Steam plant is about ready to be knocked down sometime this month to make way for homes to be built along the siding tracks of the Peavine. After looking at all the tankers down at Clare my buddy said how come the CET doesn't get any coal cars. Since coal is not in high demand the past several years you would think that the CET would try to store some coal cars on the line. I said that is a good question. I do know NS has plenty of coal cars but I bet they like CSX stores them on their siding instead of storing them on small railroads and having to pay a storage fee. I'm sure there are other coal cars out there that need to be stored but that is a good question as coal shipments are down where are all the coal cars being stored that are not in service?

brc0227
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brc0227 »

NS has put a ton of coal cars back in service in the last 4 months. Plus there's been thousands scrapped and sold in the last 5-6 years. So there's not as many coal cars as you might think in storage at the moment.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

CCET is about 9 years too late for the coal hopper/gon storage. 2009ish lots of leasing companies and banks got numerous unit coal train sets returned as the power companies were a couple of years already into the switch to natural gas versus coal. Most of those cars were under 20 years old, some less than 10 and most have been scrapped. CSX and NS use their coal fleet more for moving coal that used in making steel so its domestic shipments or exports. CSX has probably 15-18,000 coal service cars they will start to sell off in the near future. In the long run the Class 1s are going to extremely thin out ownership of all car types to leasing companies and customers.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Did realized that all the coal cars were scrapped. What happens when Trump gets the coal business back on line like he says? I have read that many of the coal mines are shut down out of business property is sold off a few years back when Obama cut funding and went to more clearer fuel. Trump wants to put the mining business back in business if that can happen. Maybe not the scale it was back in the day.

The CET brought a line of tankers back to Clare on Monday and took a bunch more out east. Clare Yard is full of tankers. Most I have ever seen. Was at the Bluff today and NS had two engines down there moving tankers around guess the CET will be there on Wednesday to pick them up and take east.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

Does anyone know with certainty how much CCET is paid for storing cars? I would guess tankers cost more than other types. Thanks.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The uptick in demand for coal won't be to generate electricity it will be export or for making steel. There's still plenty of cars that are storage to handle any uptick in demand. The Class 1 cars that were scrapped were near the end of their usable lives anyway- the acid in coal eats away at the cars. The private ones that were scrapped were due to either the leasing company or mostly the banks deciding the write off benefit was better from scrapping them no matter the age.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Couple of dollars a day per car for the covered hoppers and scrap cars. The tank cars get more if they are still have the placcard showing because they still have residual material left in them. Should be $30-40,000 a month they get just in storage fees.

CAPTAIN wrote:Does anyone know with certainty how much CCET is paid for storing cars? I would guess tankers cost more than other types. Thanks.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

$30,00 or $40,000 a month is not bad income for a small rail company like the CET. Plus the little shipping they do on the Peavine weekly on the Peavine. This morning I was walking the dog the CET two rails of cars and tankers to be picked up on the siding east of Clare. Haven't seen two siding full in a few months so looks like at least a good 200 axels will be going east. One NS engine working the yard this morning at Clare. One high railer down there as well for a few crew members. Plenty of tankers in the yard.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Stopped in at the Golden Arches today for a egg sandwich and saw some people who just moved in Mairemont. They live on the bluff. I asked them how they like the quiet area? They quickly said it is anything but quiet. We never expected to hear train horns and cars banging in to each other. I said train horns. Yes three of four times a week and when the wind is blowing out of the south it sounds like they are blowing in our front yard. I said didn't the seller tell you there was an active rail yard over the hill. No not a word. We looked over the hill on a Saturday saw some oil tankers down there but nothing was moving. I told them they don't run trains down there every day just a few times a week and after a while you will get use to it. They didn't like what I had to say and quickly pointed out that they were going to sell that new house in the summer. We called the Mayor of Mariemont told him we want it stopped. I said how did that go? The lady said the railroad has been down there since the early 40s and they can't do anything about the train horns. We can't stand the noise.

I left and couldn't get it noise? Three times a week at not late or early morning times what the... When you live next to a golf course your house may get hit by a ball. It you live by a active train track you may hear a train horn every now and then but to move because you hear a train horn a few times a week. Give me a break

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kwh »

HAHA! Thats funny. I live a few miles from the Scottslawn and I hear trains all the time. I'm not moving because I hear that and I live a few miles away! We have become so whiny! Maybe they should have looked at maps, walked around asked neighbors before they moved in.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Has anything been moved out east? I don't know I'm in Texas welding in a new factory for a few months. I sure miss seeing them.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I know the people you're talking about. They moved here in Mariemont a few months back and have contacted the neighbors about the train horns if this is something new. I just about peed my pants. I mean maybe one may hear six horns a week tops I don't even pay attention to it. My neighbor stated laughing when he heard this guy complaining about the noise and he said It doesn't bother me I lived here 30 years when NS had a very active rail yard down there. The guy said he is afraid his kid may go down there and get hit by a train. I said most likely have a better chance getting hit by a bike up here. Oh boy some people just are so far out there and worry about really nothing. The value of the homes here at not at risk as they average $550,000 and up. If they want to move because of the CET catch you later.

Paw tankers continue to move out east. NS continues to load the CET up many were sitting on the tracks yesterday some came back on Monday. Looks like this is going to be the pattern the rest of the year. Tankers and grain cars. The CCET has been doing some work on the rails as is NS in the yard. The yard has been rather active in recent weeks as workers have been down there doing something in the middle of the yard where tankers are being stored. I need to take a walk along the hillside to see what is going on down there.

lee45174
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lee45174 »

Track work today on the Peavine in Newtown in the curve just east of Church Street. I wasn't able to stop and get a good look but I saw a High-rail dumptruck and 2 other pieces of track equipment

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Been reading on facebook that several ties have been dropped off in Newtown for rail work that will be done on the Peavine. I don't think the Newtown section of the Peavine has been worked on for years that I know off. The rail signals on Round Bottom and the one on Newtown Road has been worked on several times when NS ran the Peavine. Not sure if the CCCET has worked on the signal there or not.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Northstar you may be correct. The Peavine hasn't had much rail work in many years. I think most of the work has been down around where the CCET has their staging area which I think is zoned Anderson Township. Don't think that is in Newtown but close to it almost on the boarder line. There has been some rail work down by the bridge that goes over the Little Miami and at Clare Yard. Other than that I suspect some rail works out east where there has been washouts over the years.

I was down by Newtown on Sunday the rails are very shinny so the CET must be pretty darn busy hauling tankers and cars up to the Ag. Think they still run around three days a week.