NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by midland sub »

No because Melvin Stone owns the Undercliff location and the quality of stone at Plum Run is basically for making concrete. There's plenty of cheap limestone in the area already too.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Mark my buddy is an IT guy for NS works out of Atlanta. He lives here in Cincinnati and travels back and forth one time a month. Most of the time he is in other states when NS has issues with computers and he takes care of things in that department. He hears a little about the Peavine every now and then however NS isn't concentrating on rail lines they have leased out to short lines. NS focus now is streamlining the company, leasing out short rails, hauling longer loads, and cutting down on wait times. NS has several rails like the Peavine that they least out to short rail companies.

From what he has told me the Peavine isn't going anywhere and the CET is making money on the commitments they have. As you stated storage is the CET focal point. The CET also doesn't want to spend any money on the rails unless they have to. I did send a email to him yesterday about what you posted here on the forum about the interchange. Maybe he has heard about maybe not. I wouldn't think so cause he never mentioned it to me. If the CET can work something out with the I&O or the G&W that would be great. I'm sure NS would love not to move cars back and forth three times a week to Clare.

I don't get down to Clare Yard much but Northstar live up on the hill in Mariemont so when he walks his dog down that way he talks to the NS crew when they are down there. He told me last week that NS makes three trips a week down there mostly tankers.

I feel that at least the CET is running on the Peavine and is making enough money doing it. If it wasn't for the CET running the line surely the I&O doesn't want any part of it as storage isn't in their business model. The people on this page that like to see some activity on the Peavine are happy the CCET is doing well with what they have. My real estate buddy told me last night as far as he knows no business has purchased anything along the Peavine that is going to need rail transport at this time. As far as Ron I don't know him, says he works for the CET, maybe he does maybe not. You maybe right he might just be making up a story not sure.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

midland sub wrote: Cincinnati Barge & Rail down by the Boathouse loads 45-60 loads of pig iron for the steel mill in northern Ohio plus gets a few loads of lumber a month. On top of that there's a Kinder Morgan chemical terminal on Kellogg.
I know the city of Cincinnati is trying to force that line to close from the Boathouse to where the rail line crosses Airport Rd. so they can purchase it & build a hike and bike path. It will happen eventually, only a matter of time.
As for the peavine, I believe Portsmouth wants to make a tiny part of it a hike and bike path across the Scioto River to the ball fields in West Portsmouth. They would either bridge over the active rail line on the other side or tunnel under it. Where the money is going to come from is beyond me. Maybe part of it will come from the Rails To Trails Conservancy!?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Mullskinner is correct. The Wasson Way Project and the City of Cincinnati are very interested in making at least one of the unused rails into a bike path from the Boathouse to the Peavine Connection in Fairfax. I have gone to two of their meetings and this will happen maybe not this year but in the next five years for sure. Of course the G&W doesn't want any part of it but at the same time one rail hasn't been used in years as there is trees and brush all over the rail. The State has given the WWP some money to secure the rail if G&W will let it go. So far they are unwilling saying that it is a safety concern since freight is still hauled on the main line three days a week. So we shall see how that goes but the City feels they will get that rail over time.

The bridge over the Scioto is news to me but really that is a good plan. The bridge most likely will never see another train so why not make it into a hike or bike path. This is what they did to the old rail bridge up in Milford east over by Indian Hill on the old Penn tracks.

I was over in Newtown this afternoon. Around ten today the CET was going east with a load to the Ag and tonight around 5 they were coming back west with a load a tankers and grain cars.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Trail would be built on the old unused and out of service westbound main portions from east of the boathouse to basically Valley. City can't do anything to the I&O as they actually own the inservice track. G&W will force them to build a fence along the right of way if and when it happens.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

CAPTAIN wrote:
midland sub wrote:The supposed "new" industry around Mt Orab is a company that wants to ship packaged wood pellets like you find at Tractor Supply, Lowes or whatever for wood burning stoves. Would be loaded into boxcars.
Well, that's going to be one Hell of plant. They're wanting to buy over 100 acres. :?
My source told me two things:
1) The proposed Mt. Orab project fell through
2) It wasn't a wood pellet factory that was proposed.

In other news, there's still no commitment at the new industrial site in Afton.

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kwh »

I don't post much. But I don't like trolls and typically don't give them any time or attention. But its funny how this Mt. Orab thing pops up and already fell through? Fell through what fell through nothing was going on. Its always sources and blah blah blah if it was legit then we would have more facts. Ok I've given this enough attention.

And thanks to the posters who put real facts on here you know who you are and most of us are smart enough to read through it and who's really in the know! to 90% on here thanks! and I enjoy learning about Ohio RR's as I did not grow up in this part of the country!

Rant Over!

Thanks
KWH

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

kwh wrote:I don't post much. But I don't like trolls and typically don't give them any time or attention. But its funny how this Mt. Orab thing pops up and already fell through? Fell through what fell through nothing was going on. Its always sources and blah blah blah if it was legit then we would have more facts. Ok I've given this enough attention.

Exactly.
And thanks to the posters who put real facts on here you know who you are and most of us are smart enough to read through it and who's really in the know! to 90% on here thanks! and I enjoy learning about Ohio RR's as I did not grow up in this part of the country!
You're welcome.
Bottom text.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Midland you're correct about the G&W out of service rail. This is the focus for the bike/walk path from the Boathouse to Fairfax. After reviewing the map at the meeting three weeks ago you can see what the city has in mind. Surely a fence will need to be in place there as the other rail is active and their is a safety concern.

At the branch off at old Red Bank Road the purposed trail will then will need to be looked at more closely. What has been purposed is taking the trail east to where the G&W and the old Penn track used by NS begins. Just over the creek the path will flare off and head down to the right of the Penn track then go east using the unused track that goes down to Clare Yard. The sticking point there is the bridge at Clare. At that point the path will need to go under the bridge which is a issue of flooding and then back to long the unused rail. Currently that unused rail is being used for storage so that all needs to be worked out.

It is a very interesting concept for sure well thought out! Correct, the project has not intention of using any of the I&O track. What gets me is the amount of money that has been set aside for this project. Several support groups are funding this project along with a State grant. The City of Cincinnati is behind it along with other communities which is also setting up a fund. Bottom line it will happen within the next five years!

As far a short line commuter rail that is also in the mix and has not been ruled out. This project is maybe a good 15 to 20 years out but it could happen. The purposed 32 project is almost dead yet the Peavine does offer a possibility using both the old Penn tracks and G&W tracks to the Boathouse. Plenty of talks will be done on both sides to get this deal done. The railroads will most likely made out on the deal as money will be set aside for them for a commuter train to use the primary rails. The city along with the State of Ohio are for the project it just getting everything worked out and then getting the funding for the project.

As far as posting CCET rumors here well like most boards unless you know the person who is posting it is hard to control rumors and hear say. I do know for a fact a buddy who sells commercial real estate here in Cincinnati. He like all commercial real estate people have connections to other counties. He is going to let me know if any major player is going to buy or has purchased real estate along the Peavine. So far the answer is no. This guy Northstar get his info from the NS crew down at Clare. Maybe they know something maybe they are pulling his leg but one thing is for certain NS continues to haul cars to Clare weekly. If there is a transloader possibility nothing has happened yet. Will it? Anything is possible!

Like that has been previously stated the boards here are for people who have interested in railroads. We who post here are not going to get into a word fight over the CCET and the Peavine. If you have something valid to post about the Peavine go for it. We cannot control the trolls who just want to tick others off. It's getting to the point I don't even pay attention to these posts anymore.

Midland Sub however must know more than most just by reading his posts here and on other threads in the forum. So he must have some good contracts in the railroad business. This is a good thing and really Midland we are not here to pick a fight with you. If you have a valid post about the CET please post it. Others here are just poking fun at the CET to get a reaction. This is all I have to say this morning!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Les your last 2 posts have been good so let's keep them like that and not the previous pissing contests.

Getting new customers is a crap shoot. More than likely if someone decides to bring an industry to the line we will all probably know at the same time when its announced.

The only thing that drives me insane is the fix the bridge and reroute some NS traffic talk. That would be great, but realistically that's probably never going to happen. Don't take the word of someone here or Facebook if you don't know much about how the industry works. Get some of the great books like A Sampling of Penn Central or The Men Who Loved Trains. Read them a couple of times and absorb it. Then go out and look at what's left and it will make more sense when someone says or tries to explain stuff. Don't be afraid as a question because you don't understand something. Just make sure you say I don't get this please help me understand

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Yes...less fantasy foamer talk and more facts...Now were getting somewhere.
Exit stage left

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Heypal just read your post tonight. Very well written. As you know as was at the last Wasson Way meeting three weeks ago. It was very informative and to the point. Everyone knows which direction the project is headed. The unused rail line on the G&W will be converted to a bike path in the next two years. From what I understand the money is coming from the State and grants that have been set up. Major Cincinnati corporations are also backing the project.

As far as a commuter train well never say never. That has been looked at for a few years and there will be a study made this year. An independent consultant is about ready to be hired to look at the area involved and get estimates on the costs associated for the project. It will be expensive as many factors will come into play. Many people forget the Streetcar needs weekly maintenance and a train will also need maintenance and this will be expensive. Most likely they will need two powers as if one goes down there will need to be a back up or they will need to lease one from another rail operator. Also bought up will be track maintenance and a coop will need to be figured out between the G&W, the NS and the CCET. Signals and crossing gates will need to be maintained and in working order all of the time. Parking stations will need to be built along the line and maintained along with security. So many factors are involved and there will be extra expense. Many of us there know if the project will every be approved it will be at lease 15 or 20 years down the road.

So we shall see how this all plays out. One thing is for certain the Mayor of Mariemont is not very happy that the CCET is doing well on the Peavine. He thought four years ago that the rail line was dead in the water. Now with horns blasting during the daylight and engines moving on the tacks about the Bluff he and a few residents are not very happy campers. I love it as I grew up here and watched the trains from the Bluff as a kid. These young people don't understand trains. It is like living next to a golf course. You know your house may get hit by a ball same way for a rail yard. You know that their is always a possibility that a train may blow a horn or be running under the Bluff. You have a view but business runs on tracks and that is the way it is.

The last few days the place has been rather busy down at Clare. Several tankers and grain cars have been moved some came back yesterday. I saw a I&O highrailer on the tracks yesterday afternoon when I was down at Walmart. Looked like the guy was inspecting the tracks.

The wife and I are going down to the car show on Sunday afternoon hope to see you there Heypal.

tommaphet
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tommaphet »

:D

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

kwh wrote:I don't post much. But I don't like trolls and typically don't give them any time or attention. But its funny how this Mt. Orab thing pops up and already fell through? Fell through what fell through nothing was going on. Its always sources and blah blah blah if it was legit then we would have more facts. Ok I've given this enough attention.

Rant Over!

Thanks
KWH
An obvious shot at me...
Well, you can call the Rail Commission, Chris, who runs the CCET for Paul, or Paul, the owner. I'm sure they will tell you the same thing. (And Chris, is NOT Chris Edwards).
The possible Mt. Orab business approached my friend through the Port Authority in October. They told him then that they would decide in February 2017. They asked him to remove 20 acres of trees so they wouldn't have to deal with environmental red tape. Guess what? It's February 2017 and they said NO THANK YOU. Go flame someone else.

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kwh »

Not shots Captain it was just a blanket statement I don't know you or any contacts you may have therefore I would not speculate on what people don't know. I'm strictly talking from experience in business. I don't claim to know everything but I always try to put my views and opinions from the business side not the fan/personal side. My intention was not to take shots at anyone specific so please don't take offense the only ones that should and would take offense are the trolls.

KWH

kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kwh »

Hopefully they locate somewhere else in Ohio?

The possible Mt. Orab business approached my friend through the Port Authority in October. They told him then that they would decide in February 2017. They asked him to remove 20 acres of trees so they wouldn't have to deal with environmental red tape. Guess what? It's February 2017 and they said NO THANK YOU. Go flame someone else.[/quote]

lee45174
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lee45174 »

Muleskinner wrote:
midland sub wrote: Cincinnati Barge & Rail down by the Boathouse loads 45-60 loads of pig iron for the steel mill in northern Ohio plus gets a few loads of lumber a month. On top of that there's a Kinder Morgan chemical terminal on Kellogg.
I know the city of Cincinnati is trying to force that line to close from the Boathouse to where the rail line crosses Airport Rd. so they can purchase it & build a hike and bike path. It will happen eventually, only a matter of time.
As for the peavine, I believe Portsmouth wants to make a tiny part of it a hike and bike path across the Scioto River to the ball fields in West Portsmouth. They would either bridge over the active rail line on the other side or tunnel under it. Where the money is going to come from is beyond me. Maybe part of it will come from the Rails To Trails Conservancy!?
Don't forget that the Oasis Line provides another "common carrier" in the form of the river terminal at the boathouse, access to the rail network. That is why that track remains

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

Here's one for you:

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... %20Railway

Preston Whitt and Andrew Lore have posted some very good pictures on Facebook of the Plum Run crossing and of cars being stored to the east, ending at the Jaybird Road intersection. Now there's some good reporting. Everyone who posts/reads here should join this Facebook page. It is better than this forum for news items. (Not a shot at the forum, but with pictures and all, it can't be beat)

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

It was a great day today so I thought I would take the dog for a long walk to Clare. I just missed the CET as they were going over the bridge to Newtown with a load. I did catch the NS moving tankers at Clare and they have at least 150 off them parked in the yard. One tanker sprung a leak and saw some white smoke coming from on of the tankers which they were trying to get it under control. The Crew told me they are bringing another load of tankers on Tuesday and a load of gravel as they need to fix a few rails in the yard. NS had a hi-railer down there today and there was pretty much activity in the yard more than usual. There were some hoppers on the rails east of Clare as well. I have some pictures will share them later

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Trying to post images but getting a message that the photo is invalid. What does that mean?