NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

I have been to Seaman and beyond over a month ago. The rails are rusty there is some growth along the tracks nothing that a little cleanup won't handle. Trashed is a word I wouldn't use but maybe some who don't like to see the Peavine going forward may. I have seen worse on other rails that don't get used that much but all and all the Peavine looks rather good. The CCET wanted that part of the rail opened most likely for storage or maybe for some rail traffic with the gravel pit up there.

I know a guy up in Madisonville says kids are tossing rocks at the I&O trains going over the tracks during the day up that way. Man that is dangerous and big time against the laws. He alerted CPD last week happening by the Madison Road area. I was wondering are any of the signal pole lights working on the I&O going up east from Oakley up north? I know they turned them off on the Oasis.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

redside20 wrote:I went to a party in Cincinnati on saturday and cruised down Route 62 out of Columbus and followed it all the way to Russellville Ohio where I caught 125 west. At Macon where 62 meets up with Route 32 and the Peavine just to the south of the intersection. I'm sorry but everything..ROW, signals, rails...just looked totally trashed. Everything looked like it was a great place to store railcars, thats about all.
LOL! I don't know where your talking about but I'm by there everyday where 62 & 32 intersect & the rails, crossing, and signals there all look good.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The supposed "new" industry around Mt Orab is a company that wants to ship packaged wood pellets like you find at Tractor Supply, Lowes or whatever for wood burning stoves. Would be loaded into boxcars.

NS did some tie work down around Clare right before or after CCET got the line. Ties and some ballast are planned because NS uses six axles as power for the T96 local that switches there. The bigger six axles are hard on the old PRR main and the tracks into the transload.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I saw two men working on the track at seaman. The man told me what they was doing yesterday on Facebook. He said they was placing angle bars. I drove up their and saw the fire along the rail. He said I should have stopped and said hi but I didn't know how they would have reacted if I walked up. But anyway would this be the place the tanker car derailed?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yes it derailed just past the Silcot Rd crossing at Seaman on the curve.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Well this Midland Sub might be on to something. I was talking with the crew down here at Clare this morning they tell me that there is a company not on the Peavine that will be using the CET to haul material back to Clare Yard starting the end of next month or March. A few shipments a month. Meanwhile there is a home developer that is going to build 20 homes down by the old steam plant in Mariemont. He wants to talk to the railroad to try not to get any tankers or cars stored on the siding as they will block the views of the homeowners. I thought to myself good luck with that. Currently NS uses two sidings east of Clare to park tankers and grain cars either for the CET to pick up or drop off. That will be a interesting conversation that won't go very far as that is the only place that both railroads can store cars. The CET can't store cars in Clare Yard.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Northstar I wouldn't put too much faith in the NS crew about rumors. They have been wrong before unless they have some facts. I heard Evans was going to have the CET haul some stone and sand to Sharon Yard months ago and that wasn't the case. That was also started by one of the crew on the NS so not saying what they told you yesterday isn't true just don't think it is 100%. I was told this weekend that Huhtamaki will be hauling additional material from their plant to Sharon Yard in the spring as production will be picking up. Maybe that is what the crew found out? Not sure!

The guy who is building the condos and homes down next to the old steam plant in Mariemont presented at the Mariemont council meeting last month. Correct he is going to build several homes and maybe townhomes down by the siding that the CCET uses for stored cars. Homes will start at $400,000 plus. He never said anything about the rails but did say earlier that the rails are not used anymore. Well his facts are not true as yesterday there tankers down on the tracks. So future home owners are going to need to deal with tankers and grain cars on the two tracks down there and I really don't see NS moving them in Clare Yard.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Hyumataki already ships out scrap paper from Batavia in some of the boxcars that haul in the inbound paperrolls.

They derailed on the bridge at Clare. Should be a couple of days before they get the track repaired

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

midland sub wrote:The supposed "new" industry around Mt Orab is a company that wants to ship packaged wood pellets like you find at Tractor Supply, Lowes or whatever for wood burning stoves. Would be loaded into boxcars.
Well, that's going to be one Hell of plant. They're wanting to buy over 100 acres. :?

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

What? You must be kidding there is no way that is going to happen.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

And he is kidding. I have a buddy who sells real estate up there. He is checking all sales along the Peavine for me. Will let me know in a few days.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

heypal6878 wrote:And he is kidding. I have a buddy who sells real estate up there. He is checking all sales along the Peavine for me. Will let me know in a few days.
I know the guy whose ground is being pursued. Even he doesn't know who really wants it, just the Port Authority.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

CAPTAIN wrote:
heypal6878 wrote:And he is kidding. I have a buddy who sells real estate up there. He is checking all sales along the Peavine for me. Will let me know in a few days.
I know the guy whose ground is being pursued. Even he doesn't know who really wants it, just the Port Authority.
Interesting. Please keep us updated Captain. Ken

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Knowing you both on this page I would say this is totally made up just to tick off anyone who likes the Peavine. Nobody is going to believe this. Stick with the facts this thread is about the Peavine and the CCET.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

northstar16 wrote:Knowing you both on this page I would say this is totally made up just to tick off anyone who likes the Peavine. Nobody is going to believe this. Stick with the facts this thread is about the Peavine and the CCET.
This is why nobody actually cares about trying to post relevant info here anymore.
Bottom text.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

We understand but this thread is about the Peavine so you and your pal's who hate the Peavine don't need to post anything here. What is amazing the guys who post here aren't saying anything about the G&W that dead ends at the Boathouse that runs maybe three loads a week from the undercliff one of only a few contracts they have. Yet the Peavine hauls more and stores more that old Oasis line ever has since the late 70s.

The people who post here only care about the Peavine. If you hate the Peavine stay off the discussion.

This Board is for all railroads and for people who enjoy talking about railroads. Can't we all get along?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Les let me again educate you so at some point you stop making yourself look foolish here.

First off Ron is trolling you and the others at the CCET Facebook group. Ever notice he throws out small little things and you and a couple of others jump all over it, but then he never says anything else.....? Pulling switches up is part of the handout money they got from the ORDC. Please understand other than cleaning up derailments the ONLY work the line has seen since taking over was the $70,000 they got from the ORDC to fix a washout problem. Removing the switches is the new "cool" shortline thing to cut derailments down.

It's called the Oasis Sub that runs from Sharonville to down to the Boathouse. The I&O made MORE revenue in the first week of the year moving actually freight on the line's 3 customers than the CCET will make this year from Hyumataki and Winchester. In reality it probably took them 3 days to do that. They have the Melvin Stone operation in the old Undercliff yard that gets 80 loads a week of stone, Cincinnati Barge & Rail down by the Boathouse loads 45-60 loads of pig iron for the steel mill in northern Ohio plus gets a few loads of lumber a month. On top of that there's a Kinder Morgan chemical terminal on Kellogg. So the CCET makes a flat $400 a car for anything Huhtamaki and Winchester gets. At best Huhtamaki gets 12 cars a week so thats maybe 50 cars a month, all that grain Winchester shipped in the fall was soybeans sold to Cargill. Something like 350 cars. The real money for them is car storage and good for them. That's the parent company's niche on all their other operations and is the same here. They make about $30,000 a month in storage revenue. That's good money for not doing anything especially on a line that has no other purpose at the moment. So just as a comparison the Oasis Sub you say does nothing, that Kinder Morgan spur brings in the same or more money on just 30 or so tank cars they get a month. So it makes absolutely no sense why you try and compare the two.

Let's pull back the curtain for everyone on how they landed the Winchester grain traffic. If it weren't for the first manager of the CCET and someone at DJJ who had 100 grain cars to store, the grain traffic would NOT have happened. They worked out a deal for Winchester to spot lease cars that were stored on the CCET on a per trip deal. NS told CCET and Winchester to pound sand on them supplying cars for Winchester. So if it weren't for that NO GRAIN traffic and probably the line would still be a dead end at Batavia.

The wood pellet deal is based on the same idea. Boxcars would end up getting used whenever there's a load or two. No one ever said it's the magic industrial development to make the line busy. The only people to say anything Mt Orab and some new customer is Ron, who if you noticed hasn't said a word since, or whoever this captain person. No one else knows a thing which is sort of surprising since any potential industrial development needing rail will look at several locations in the general area and the people that know these things at G&W, CSX and NS have not a clue about anyone other than a handful of companies that are also looking elsewhere in the area. Not saying it won't happen at Mt Orab or somewhere along the CCET, but industrial development people generally know what's potentially out there.

Les why hasn't your connection at NS told you what changed with the CCET? If they know anything important they would have known that NS changed the lease stips on the interchange. CCET isn't required to interchange with just NS at Clare anymore. They were trying to work something out with G&W to get access to the Oasis Sub and Undercliff to interchange with the I&O. You know that line that doesn't do anything......

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

midland sub wrote: Les why hasn't your connection at NS told you what changed with the CCET? If they know anything important they would have known that NS changed the lease stips on the interchange. CCET isn't required to interchange with just NS at Clare anymore. They were trying to work something out with G&W to get access to the Oasis Sub and Undercliff to interchange with the I&O. You know that line that doesn't do anything......
So would that give them an indirect access to CSX and CN (through the I&O)?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Yes it would. But the key is they have to establish a real interchange with the I&O.

CAPTAIN
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CAPTAIN »

midland sub wrote:Les why hasn't your connection at NS told you what changed with the CCET? If they know anything important they would have known that NS changed the lease stips on the interchange. CCET isn't required to interchange with just NS at Clare anymore. They were trying to work something out with G&W to get access to the Oasis Sub and Undercliff to interchange with the I&O. You know that line that doesn't do anything......
Would an access to the Oasis transload site open a market for Stone from Plum Run?