NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

First of I heard of it. I talked to the engineers of NS at least one time a week when they go down to McDonalds for lunch or breakfast and they just say business is usual just more tankers and moving mostly grain cars from the Ag. I think Midland Sub mentioned something about this awhile back. I don't see it happening as NS has one engine down at Clare at least five days a week and a small crew as well. The tanker business is fairing rather well for the CET as they are generating some good income from storage. NS is going to deliver some ties up east soon. Guess the CET needs rail work on some bad ties. I'll keep my ears open on the transloader report!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I was at the Root Beer Stand on Reading when a crew stopped by for a fast lunch. We talked about NS and the new management change and cuts that NS made in the last few months. It is all about consolidation, cutting jobs, longer trains, cutting tracks that are not being used, leasing them out to short rail companies. They were not talking to highly about the great NS but they only have a few more years before retirement. We got on the subject Clare Yard and the CET. They know the crew that delivers the tankers down there and they told me there is talk that a short rail may transload the cars and tankers to the CET from another location. Still up in the air as all parties need to come to an agreement.

Meanwhile they told me there is a short staff at Clare they have been doing some work down there and they have had some trespassers down there as well. Another reason they have staffed it down at Clare. I told them I heard NS was putting security cameras in spots at Clare. They said very possible all rail yards have them now. These guys said the tankers are all empty but kids get down there and spray paint the cars take stuff out of the yard. It happens in Sharon Yard as well but the yard is so busy nobody best be caught inside the yard that doesn't work here they said. I asked them if kids still hop trains in the yard. They said yes not as much as they did back in the day. Most of the cars are kept locked but every now and then a door might be ajar and someone may slip in. Not a very smart thing to do getting into a car that the door that might be ajar, as a sudden stop the door may shut tight and anyone inside could be in there a long long time.

So that is where I got my info!

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Well down by the tracks today first time in over a month. The old steam plant in Mariemont is no longer standing. The contractors took it down with the assistance of Evans last week. All is left is the foundation. That Steam Plant that heated all of Mariemont back in the 20s and 30s has been vacant for many years and was an eyesore. A few kids were killed in there over the years as there were no real floors and no lights inside.

My buddy told me that the CCET was told not to use the siding down there until the building came down. I saw some cars up a ways by Clare Yard parked today. I have been out of town for several weeks but have been told the CET is pretty busy with the Ag and they did pick up a new customer out east. Not sure who that is or what the CET is hauling out that way.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I was down at the site on Sunday. Of course no train action as nothing moves on the Peavine on Sunday but there were some cars sitting on the west side by Clare on the siding. The old Steam Plant is history and saw some You Tube videos of the plant before and after it was taken down. The interesting part as you know Northstar the Mayor of Mariemont said that the Steam Plant was to be taken down like well over a year ago. I would think this was a larger undertaking than the developer thought it was at first. That building was built back in the early 1900s all concrete and brick thick concrete at that. I have been inside that building a few times as a kid and it was not a place to be in unless one had a flashlight as one could fall in there and never be seen again. Plenty of water in the basement of that place. Several kids were killed in that building back in the day some badly hurt. The Police boarded it up fenced it off and still kids got inside. Mostly to spay paint it or to do drugs in there. It was an eyesore and needed to come down. Very surprised that Mariemont never knocked it down over the years as it wasn't in use.

The tracks next to the old steam plant are now open for siding cars and tankers. I would suspect more tankers are on their way from Sharon Yard this week. The CET has been pretty busy with the Ag of late and taker storage continues to be their bread and butter. Jaw Tooth said they had a new business on the line up in Macon. I saw a video looks like rock to me sand maybe not really sure.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

It now has been confirmed that the stone company out on Plum Road is going to start doing business with the CET. The CET has already started to haul some stone west to Clare yard. The CET is doing work on the rails at Plum Road clearing the rails of brush and gravel that has covered the rails out there for years. How much business will be down at Plum Road with the CET is still unknown however it appears that there is a commitment which is a good thing.

Next I hear there is a scraper just outside of Newtown on Roundbottom Road that is thinking strongly about doing business with the CET. That operation is getting larger and they need to haul the scrap away. Currently using semi's but may move to train. We shall see.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Today I talked to the NS crew and Heypal is correct there is a new customer with the CET at Plum Road and they may have one move coming on board. Several grain cars are down here today. More tankers in Clare Yard. Crew has been working at Clare the last few weeks. That's all I have for now.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

heypal6878 wrote:It now has been confirmed that the stone company out on Plum Road is going to start doing business with the CET. The CET has already started to haul some stone west to Clare yard. The CET is doing work on the rails at Plum Road clearing the rails of brush and gravel that has covered the rails out there for years. How much business will be down at Plum Road with the CET is still unknown however it appears that there is a commitment which is a good thing.

Next I hear there is a scraper just outside of Newtown on Roundbottom Road that is thinking strongly about doing business with the CET. That operation is getting larger and they need to haul the scrap away. Currently using semi's but may move to train. We shall see.
I would have to assume that since you stated that they already hauled stone west, that the gravel has already been cleared from the rails to allow such movement??
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

There was a load of gravel and stone sent west a few weeks back. There was a video on that Jaw Tooth made I do believe showing the CET moving four car loads west. The rails have been cleared off at Plum Road. Work has been done there weeks ago more work was being done there last week. The stone company has signed an agreement with CCET to haul stone west. This isn't an everyday operation but maybe a few cars per week or several cars per month.

It really shows the operations people at the CET are trying to get business on the line. NS tried to get business off the line they didn't want to service their customers so I'm sure the customers on the line don't trust the rail company servicing the line. The CET has done very well and is keeping their few customers happy and that is a great start. The tanker business is doing well and the Ag is keeping the CET busy this month and of next month for sure. It is good to see the rail company is doing well on the Peavine.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Frontier sent a single hopper to the CCET to use to dump stone for that ORDC track work. Until some hoppers show up all they will come out it Plum Run will just be ballast.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Best look at the video that Jaw Tooth posted on You Tube. There was like four hoppers loaded with stone on that video. Also on the link there was something from the stone company saying they will do business with the CET. Can get you that information if you wish.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:Best look at the video that Jaw Tooth posted on You Tube. There was like four hoppers loaded with stone on that video. Also on the link there was something from the stone company saying they will do business with the CET. Can get you that information if you wish.
The only video I see is 4 gondola cars loaded with what looks like scrap posted by a Jawtooth.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

You might be right thought that was stone. There is a new scrap metal company using the CET a new customer be interesting to see when Hanson will use the CET as they are doing track work up there. Hanson said they will use the CET here soon.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

northstar16 wrote:You might be right thought that was stone. There is a new scrap metal company using the CET a new customer be interesting to see when Hanson will use the CET as they are doing track work up there. Hanson said they will use the CET here soon.
Unless they can magically make stone into chunks of metal and place in gondolas I would say I am 100% right, not "might be right". :-)

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The gons you saw in his video are scrap loads from the old Ryland Home spur at Macon that Cohen now owns.

There’s a great potential for stone to move on the line at some point. It just requires one of the two involved, CCET or Hanson, to acquire hoppers to move it. To my knowledge that has not happened yet. The hopper you see with the caboose is a ballast hopper- stone dumps out the sides.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

http://easterncorridor.org/projects/oas ... -overview/

This is back in the news again. I thought it was a dead issue until Monday nights meeting. Apparently this is some forward momentum as a few people in the State are pushing forward on the issue. Since the 32 expansion is dead in the water and not going to move forward the money that was supposed to go there is now going to be used for rail. With traffic flows increasing and more accidents there is a demand to move people from the east to downtown by rail and back. The problem becomes the CET is a more of a working railroad than it was back a few years ago. The Oasis line is also busy. So agreements will need to be made by both rail companies and NS. I'm sure the State can work out a compromise!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

In reality there’s not a ton of physical stuff that would need to be done other than on the Clare side and then west of the Boathouse. Sorta owns the unused second track on the Oasis Sub so a serious rehab project on it and cutting back 30 years of brush wouldn’t be too difficult. Acquiring the equipment to run the service and station sites is going to be the serious money part. Is there that much road traffic coming off Beechmont Ave and Newtown onto Columbia Parkway (US 50) into downtown in the mornings? I’m never over there at that time of the morning

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

To be honey it would be a far stretch to invest millions to make this into a commuter rail but with the 32 project dead in the water and the traffic being what it is on 50 and 32 during rush hour something needs to be done. Columbia Parkway traffic is backed up for miles from the city though Mariemont, Fairfax and Newtown goes east at night and from 32 down to Newtown, Mariemont and Fairfax to the city in the morning and plus school zones. It is a nightmare. One accident and it is a parking lot nobody moves. So there is a growing concern to move the traffic flow and that is why this rail thing is back in the news. If the State and local government is for it well it could very well happen. Plenty of issues to be addressed and working with the railroads is going to be difficult yet things can happen as it has in other States before.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

There are about 6 hoppers stored on a siding in Sardinia. They have been there for 2 or 3 months.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I don't think it's Hanson anymore it should be wells group. Wells bought out Hanson in Chillicothe and piketon. I'm sure it was a complete buyout but I'm not sure.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Paw you're correct. Hanson was bought out by the Wells Group. Could be the reason they would like to explore rail compared to truck to give the CET some business moving forward. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next six months out that way.