Byesville Scenic Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Byesville Scenic Railroad

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

The website for the Byesville Scenic Railroad says operations have been suspended until further notice due to circumstances beyond their control. Anyone know if they will be resuming anytime soon or the reasons for not being able to run?

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Byesville Scenic Railroad

Unread post by jallenp7 »

I think it has something to do with the amount of insurance they need to purchase to operate on the line, the line is owed by somebody else and they were leasing it for operations.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Didn't JJJ buy the tracks they operate on?

jallenp7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jallenp7 »

I did not want to mention his name and have people bash him for "kicking them off" the rails, but you are correct.

I think that Guernsey count was trying to purchase the line but was not able to reach a deal, there is one customer that may still recieve railcars south of Byesville, make some sort of machinery for the natural gas industry, may be some sort of condenser.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think the insurance issue is the problem. I thought it wasn't included in the G&W purchase. You can't blame someone for limiting their liability.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

That is too bad. Is there a chance they will be able to resume trains in the future? I know they had made progress trying to rehabilitate the line further towards Cumberland before they had to stop service. It's a shame they did all that work and then had to stop.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know of any updates in 2014 for Byesville Scenic RR? Any chances of them running excursions in the future?

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

I came across a YouTube video made in April of this year that showed MOW equipment parked on the Byesville portion of the line. The author of the video discussed the possibility that G&W may be interested in running freight to Byesville and south to Cumberland, Ohio. Does anyone know of any information on this possibility?

Here's the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psf9qB1fbCU

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I believe one of the stone companies built an unloading set up somewhere on the line and unit trains of stone will be if they aren't already using it.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:I believe one of the stone companies built an unloading set up somewhere on the line and unit trains of stone will be if they aren't already using it.
Thank you midland for the information. I was able to locate G&W's railway maps and they do own (I assume they own and not lease) the rails up to the town of Derwent, Ohio. Just a few yards north of North St. The tracks run right along the property in Derwent of a company called Bi-Con Services which specializes in construction and energy solutions. The company has been there since 1969 but appears to have expanded in recent years. Could this possibly be the stone unloading site?