IORY South End Part Five

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part Five

Unread post by conrailman75 »

The ore company was the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range(DMIR). I remember getting photos of them sitting at LTEX back when I visited that place in Sept. 2010. Have to look around and see if the 210 is one of the units I shot that day.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

conrailman75 wrote:The ore company was the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range(DMIR). I remember getting photos of them sitting at LTEX back when I visited that place in Sept. 2010. Have to look around and see if the 210 is one of the units I shot that day.
I'm reading from The Contemporary Diesel Spotters Guide. Reserve Mining 1237-1245 built in October 1978. Only Yankeetown Dock 22 built in December 1978 and Frisco 296-299 built in June 1979 came later. The sloped air filter housing distinguishes these from earlier 38-2's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Keep speculating..... It would go Cincy first if it was for the I&O.

DT&I wrote:
midland sub wrote:I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.
LTEX 210(SD38-2) went west to Willard today on Q353, could take Q365 to Lima? Just speculating.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Amen....

lbable wrote:
midland sub wrote:I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.
It is good to see the new GM is tackling problems already with GW support. It seemed from my perspective the railroad was on collapse in BK's leadership, seems early on it may be on the road to recovery.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Here is what I found on the DMIR's SD38-2's:

http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco/74649.htm
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

We dont even know if it is going to the IORY so don't get your hopes up too high.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

DT&I wrote:We dont even know if it is going to the IORY so don't get your hopes up too high.
It isn't. Heard it went out on Q391 to Chicago from Willard...
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="midland sub"]I&O is to get four more locos is the next couple of weeks. Two will be coming from the Ohio Central and two leased. Not sure of what type of locos they will be or who the two will be leased from. Locos out of service will also be repaired and if need be two more locos acquired from other G&W operations.[/quote]

I'm hoping for OHCR 4027(last OHCR 40T-2) And as far as out of service power being restored all that I&O has that's OOS(That I am aware of) is IORY 4030(been down for probly a year or more) & IORY 5006 which isn't going anywhere unless its moving out in a gondola lol. Wonder how long till I&O reletters there CFE 38's. HESR has been renumbering & patching EVERYTHING that was not HESR

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Two Ohio Central SD40 are supposed to be going to the I&O this weekend.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O picked up 30 more DJJX gons for pig iron use. Mostly former SP heritage.

First Logan stone train went back to Columbus Sunday and the Midland on Monday. Melvin wants 200,000 tons on the ground in Logan asap.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:I&O picked up 30 more DJJX gons for pig iron use. Mostly former SP heritage.

First Logan stone train went back to Columbus Sunday and the Midland on Monday. Melvin wants 200,000 tons on the ground in Logan asap.
Are the DJJX cars replacing existing cars? More pig iron business on the way?

2000 carloads of stone is a sizeable number. Nice pick up for them. Do you see this as a one time movement or will it be around for a few years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I believe to replace some of the old beat up AEX gons they leased late last year. Pig iron should be holding steady.

Sounds like Melvin Stone's parent company has plans on growing the Logan and southeast Ohio business. They built an unloading pit on the old C&O branch that goes back to the GE lamp plant in Logan.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was surprised to read in Trains Mag's article about "Rolling Stones" that many stone operations, because of their transient nature (unloading points move around) use somewhat primitive (though effective) operations for unloading including digging holes under the tracks to unload or even using back loader that climbs on top of cars and digs out the stone then using manual labor to get the last 5-10% out.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Second loaded stone train for Logan is waiting in Parsons for a Logan Sub crew. Will use the two OC SD40s G&W transferred to the I&O. Plan is to keep them on the stone train for Logan. This one is 60 cars.

Two leased six axles should end up in Cincy when delivered to the I&O. They will be used for grain trains on the Midland and DT&I South.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O's two newest locos OC 4028-4030 took the second loaded train to Logan Friday night.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

4030 and CFE 3884 were in Logan last night facing LHF towards Columbus with empties.
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Great was wondering how quick they would get unloaded.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I wish the GWI lots of luck and godspeed getting the Midland and DT&I South Subs back in good operating order. In order to win back customer trust in places like WCH they must show that they can get the trains out of Cincinnati.
Last edited by redside20 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub wrote:I believe to replace some of the old beat up AEX gons they leased late last year. Pig iron should be holding steady.

Sounds like Melvin Stone's parent company has plans on growing the Logan and southeast Ohio business. They built an unloading pit on the old C&O branch that goes back to the GE lamp plant in Logan.
Midland, how is that new transloading operation faring for the I&O in Lancaster? I know it was established to haul sheet steel from a company in the Bremen area...
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Never in Lancaster anymore. Wish I could tell you.